Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM

275 posts, read 396,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
One of the big misconceptions is "everyone in Boca is rich!" I actually found too many folks are putting on the fascade yet don't have the dollars to back it up! I love the folks that live in Sandalfoot "bragging" they live in Boca Raton despite it NOT being in the city limits and the fact Sandalfoot is full of 100K 30 year old dumpy houses with a trailer park wedged in the middle of the subdivision. Better yet the guy that has a 8500 sq ft house with a couch and a mattress on the floor as his furnishings yet has a leased 100K car in the driveway!
Yep. Back in the early '90s there used to be a trailer park in Boca off of 441 that was Drug Dealer Central! Cars used to line up and drive around the circle, and sellers would dash out for curbside service. I used to date a girl who lived not far away, because she insisted on having a Boca address, even though she worked in downtown Fort Lauderdale and had a horrid commute. She had to have three roommates to afford it, but it was all about the "status". Then I knew a girl who continually bragged about her money. She lived in a posh neighborhood, and had a new car. The first time I went into her condo I was shocked to see that she had a TV, a Couch, and a bed! That was it! I thought "yeah, babe, maybe I don't make the amount of money you do, but at least I have some FURNITURE!"
But on the other hand I used to go out to the Farm for the annual Grateful Dead halloween party, which was cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Boca Raton and it's "Boca-hontuses" - you can't find more materialistic people!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
o Yes you can. Visited Bev Hills last month and no comment.... and dfs on Central Park Manhattan....... PRIVATE LIMOS taking kids to school and not one 10 yo girl had a bag that was not a Prada or a LVuitton.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
o Yes you can. Visited Bev Hills last month and no comment.... and dfs on Central Park Manhattan....... PRIVATE LIMOS taking kids to school and not one 10 yo girl had a bag that was not a Prada or a LVuitton.
+1

Come to where we used to live in NJ those girls wear nothing but designer bags to school and clothes...here we have uniforms in the public schools....

Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
You.have.no.idea. We say, to each his own. One of our friends says, I bought the 138k car because-- I CAN!!!! So be it! and honestly, who cares?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM

exactly!! if it makes them feel good than so be it....It doesnt affect my life one way or the other..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM

9 posts, read 14,169 times
Down to earth, none materialistic, rule. Out boca, wellington, nice neighborhood But to be honest i would stay away from palm bch county,w/ the exception of jupiter, but again do your home work jupiter have vry diverse neighborhood, Martin county is your best bet, there. Are. Beautiful neighborhood all over palm bch. County. But be warn there. There is no true suburb here so your children will Be expose to everything. I live in PBG. Beautiful neighborhood shopping &restaurant around the Corner. But I'm leaving it for a more suburban feel, if i was stayin in southh florida martin county all d way.
In conclusion leave your kids home see some homes. go back by your selves and. Drive. Around, better Yet rent. Before you BUY at least for

Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
It is not about wealth. The poor act this way in Boca. Boca is very much about the show. Yes BH has this but I am talking about Boca being in I would say the top 3. I have always been around super wealthy. What I was not used to is the horrible way people treat others and the show they put on. Some on here and who move to Boca dream of this lifestyle so they see this with rose colored glasses. Even to say that Boca is prestigious makes me laugh because that is what many of the people feel that live there and that does not come with that down to earth feeling.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
It is not about wealth. The poor act this way in Boca. Boca is very much about the show. Yes BH has this but I am talking about Boca being in I would say the top 3. I have always been around super wealthy. What I was not used to is the horrible way people treat others and the show they put on. Some on here and who move to Boca dream of this lifestyle so they see this with rose colored glasses. Even to say that Boca is prestigious makes me laugh because that is what many of the people feel that live there and that does not come with that down to earth feeling.
+1.............Boca has a few nice country clubs (full of scammers, Madoff's wife and secretary both live in area cc's), a nice area on the water in the east and a few tucked away clusters like Le Lac that are nice but has tens of thousands of regular homes (1500 sq ft, 40+ years old, 200K or less). Boca even has a cluster of 'drug rehab halfway houses' on Camino Real (no doubt the Boca address allows them to charge more!).

Boca did a great job of preserving their beaches, building a good supply of parks and attracting jobs (Blue Lake/IBM site comes to mind) but they really need to get over themselves with the "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" attitudes. Too many are clinging to the dream with the big houses w/int. only mtg, no furniture, 60 days late on the bills, leased Lexus in the driveway and telling everyone at Mizner Park how great their life is living in Bocur!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Again why should this affect my life or anyone else moving here? We gravitate to people like us as well as my kids...Our kids are very well grounded and yes like the finer things in life, however they also have the willingness to give so we dont fit that Stereo type but I will tell you that where we used to live and where we came from are just like they are here in boca, so again this isn't anything new to us....We tend to laugh at people who are like that, because again they aren't a part of our lives....None of my friends are like that either and they dont have mortgages some of them some of them have low mortgages, they live in the wealthy sub divisions...Its funny when people talk about Attitude....We lived in NC in a town alot of money and people acted just like they do here about all the material things and the funny thing was, where they came from they were very middle class, but the fact that they were able to live cheaply made them weathly and wow what attitudes they had that they were better than you....We have no issues with living in Boca or the Attitude who cares? I think those people are just jealous they dont live that way or maybe just so consumed with other people's lives....I only worry about my life and my family and not about everyone else.....We have met quiet a few transplants recently who are very happy here because they dont involve themselves with those people and if they chose to and its their cup of tea then to each as own......Life is too short to be giving a Crap about this garbage and people need to see for themselves if this is somewhere they want to live or not....Boca suits my family just fine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach