Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 24,471 times

Advertisements

We got our son evaluated by psychologist for giftedness .his IQ is 137 and also scored 100% in reading & 98% in math.
We submitted the report to the school.The only step remaining was that the teacher will use the gifted check list for my son (TEACHER RECOMMENDATION).
We got a letter from school that he will not be considered for gifted program.
My son is in 1st grade & has been with the teacher for just a week or so...we moved from chicago where he did kindergarten..we trully believe that he is gifted,his last teacher also thought he is..
We really never liked the teacher when we met her,she never responds to my queries ever.
I`m afraid if we go and fight then the teacher will not be good to my son,here you hve to remain with the same teacher for 2-3 years..

Really confused,what to do ? How to approach the school & what to say & do?

Do any of the moms had any experience.
Please suggest.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 AM

134 posts, read 282,715 times
I feel sorry for you. I think you made a bad first impression, somehow, and it may not be your fault. Perhaps the fact that a psychologist (an “outsider”) was involved, perhaps the school was too busy with opening day activities, perhaps you enrolled too late, who knows? Anyway, I would ask the teacher for a parent conference (private and at her convenience), and ask for her advice as to how to proceed, and in a non-confrontational way ask for answers as to why your son was turned down. It is your right to know why.
At end of the conference, if you are not satisfied, thank her, and do NOT criticize her, but tell her that you need more information and that you will make an appointment with the guidance counselor. If the guidance counselor conference fails (unlikely), repeat the thank you’s, etc., and say that you need more information and make an appointment with the principal.
You are right, you might invite negative treatment towards your child, but this would be a serious breach of professional practice, and it is unlikely that it would happen. 99% of teachers have very high standards, and want what is best for children.
PS Why will your child have the same teacher for 2-3 years? That is very unusual…..

Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM

134 posts, read 282,715 times
Let me add 2 more points: 1) do not criticize the teacher, guidance couselor, etc., just say you need more information as you move up the ladder in authority, and 2) there may be more steps in authority as you move up the ladder than I have mentioned, i.e. gifted coordinator.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 AM

239 posts, read 474,235 times
Do you have the same teacher for 3 years in a public school? ???

same kids too? wow

Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 11,965 times
This is the link to The School District of Palm Beach County Gifted Program with their Contact information. [url=http://www.palmbeachschools.org/ese/gifted.asp]Gifted[/url]

They will be able to advise you.
Good luck!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks BillieUSA- thanks for your suggestions!

ra1007- yes in his school they stay with the same teacher like in K & 1 they will have the same teacher (mostly)
Thanks jupiter palm beach

Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 39,593 times
My child is in a PBC gifted program, and I would HIGHLY suggest speaking to either the school's gifted coordinator or the county gifted coordinator (contacts available on county school website) for further direction. They may be able to exert some "behind the scenes" influence.

In my experience, some of the regular teachers have a bit of a chip on their shoulder when a parent pushes the "gifted" issue; but unfortunately, you need the primary teacher's approval for the child to enter the gifted program and it would pay not to burn any bridges before then if you know what I mean.

If all else fails, consider the state-mandated K12 online curriculum, which can be tailored to fit the individual needs of gifted and highly gifted students. The student remains a PBC public school student, takes all standardized tests yearly and is eligible for all extracurricular activities, but just does the curriculum at home. I don't know if that is a good fit for your family, but we are doing that next school year and I am excited to bring more challenge to my gifted daughter.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks "Into_The_Mystic"

My DS got into the gifted program.They have sent us a letter which was quit confusing,so we thought that program was rejected.
The ESE coordinator later the said the "language of the letter" usually confuses parent. May be you have to be gifted to understand that ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach