Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 PM

38 posts, read 67,641 times

Advertisements

Hi , I am usually on the Gulf side of Florida , just want to compare the beaches . I have been to Daytona , Cocoa , and Melbourne but have not been farther south . What are the beaches like in your area's ? Are they torquois like Miami ? Clear water , rough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockall View Post
Hi , I am usually on the Gulf side of Florida , just want to compare the beaches . I have been to Daytona , Cocoa , and Melbourne but have not been farther south . What are the beaches like in your area's ? Are they torquois like Miami ? Clear water , rough
Miami's water is unique. I live in fort lauderdale about 25 miles north of Miami and the water is not that turquois water like in Miami. It is a clear, somewhat turquois water but not as much as Miami.

Fort Lauderdale's water is usually calm. However it can be rough when there storms and what not.

usually always warm.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 PM

38 posts, read 139,086 times
Having had the opportunity to swim in the Med. for many years, I can tell you that no beach in Florida even comes close. Florida beaches are way overrated.

That gratuitous negative comment aside, the water on the Atlantic coast is also "fresher" than the gulf. It tends to be a but rougher too. There are days though, when the sea is calm and the color is that perfect "turquoise" as you describe it. The farther south the more "turquoise"/tropical.

Temperature is a very subjective issue. In the summer, the water is very warm. Almost soup-like. South Florida is all about the winter though.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM

38 posts, read 67,641 times
I also have " swim in the Med " but only from Spain , from Calella ( close to Barcalona ) to Torremolinos ( Malaga ) and a few places in between and i can tell you those beaches ( sand , water , temp etc ) come a very distant second to any of the Florida beaches I have visited , Gulf or Atlantic side . Where where you swimming in the Med ?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post
Having had the opportunity to swim in the Med. for many years, I can tell you that no beach in Florida even comes close. Florida beaches are way overrated.

That gratuitous negative comment aside, the water on the Atlantic coast is also "fresher" than the gulf. It tends to be a but rougher too. There are days though, when the sea is calm and the color is that perfect "turquoise" as you describe it. The farther south the more "turquoise"/tropical.

Temperature is a very subjective issue. In the summer, the water is very warm. Almost soup-like. South Florida is all about the winter though.
I too have swam in the med, in particular the greek islands and there beaches and water look like pool water, its amazingly beautiful.

It's different than florida, that has more of a turquoise/tropical look, where as the Med has deep blue pool water look, I've never seen anything like it, its so crystal clear. I was swimmin in the med in Mid May and the water was "cool" not cold, but def not warm either.

LOVED it

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM

623 posts, read 1,303,651 times
Well, we consider ourselves beach experts (bums)---- and since we have family all over the meditteranean: amazing beaches, also been to maui and all over the carribean, several times over.

I'll take south Florida beaches. Just imho.

We love south Florida.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM

584 posts, read 1,689,066 times
I have been to Fort Lauderdale in July, the water was very warm, as one described "soup" like.

I have also been to Fort Myers beach at the end of Dec, the water is between "cool" and "cold".

Does anyone know the beach water temperature (Palm Beach) in Jan/Feb ? I THINK it is around 72F. COULD SOMEONE COMMENT ON THIS (72F IN JAN/FEB, BEACHES ALONG PALM BEACH) ?

Thanks !

Snowbird100

Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I have been to Fort Lauderdale in July, the water was very warm, as one described "soup" like.

I have also been to Fort Myers beach at the end of Dec, the water is between "cool" and "cold".

Does anyone know the beach water temperature (Palm Beach) in Jan/Feb ? I THINK it is around 72F. COULD SOMEONE COMMENT ON THIS (72F IN JAN/FEB, BEACHES ALONG PALM BEACH) ?

Thanks !

Snowbird100

This chart below shows Miami and Stuart.... halfway between would be Palm Beaches...:

Florida Ocean Water Temperatures in Winter - Current Results

Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM

584 posts, read 1,689,066 times
Wow, water temperature is pretty warm in Miami in January, it's warmer than some lakes in Ontario in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach