Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM

22 posts, read 72,447 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've been reading these posts for over a month now and wanted to finally send out my own info request.

We will be moving to the West Palm Beach area very soon and we're looking to rent a house or townhome (preferably with a yard) in or around West Palm Beach. My hubby owns his own small business and will be driving to downtown WPB most days. I've come across a lot of information that makes me think Delray Beach would be the place for us...but I have to admit, I'm concerned about hurricanes and crime ~ there's a lot of negativity about the crime in Southern Florida on these posts...but can it really be any worse than LA?

We have a 3 year old and plan to have another very soon.

Ideally, I'd like to find:
~ A great community (it's hard to find this in Los Angeles and I'm a mid-western gal...I like knowing my neighbors and calling the mailman by his first name). Plus community events like festivals, etc.

~ A nice walking area with restaurants, shops close to the beach and nice shady parks with play equipment for little ones.

~ Culture - as in theatre, art, dance, music...anything really.

~ Safe community (as in, I can come home at night by myself with my daughter and not be in fear that someone is going to mug me before I get into my house) - I've read that WPB has a pretty high crime rate.

~ Great public schools (nearby). I’m currently driving our daughter to a preschool 15 minutes away (so that’s an hour every day of driving for just 3 hours of school), and would prefer to be able to walk or ride bikes to school. I know preschools are private….well, they are out here, so you can go anywhere. I’m very picky about the school she goes to so I ended up picking the one farthest away. Plus, I’d like a school where parents are very involved.

~ Healthy natural food shopping nearby…I love Whole Foods but not their high prices. Is there a Trader Joe’s type store in Southern Florida?

We are currently renting a 3 br/3ba house with a huge yard for $2200 - we're in the valley now. We used to rent a 2br/2ba condo in Venice beach for $2400 until we outgrew it when our daughter came along sending us fleeing to the burbs like everyone else. We'd like to spend less than this until we figure out where we went to settle (i.e., buy).

I'm a "mature" mother (got a late start), but very young at heart (DH is 10 years younger than me). I have also read that Delray may be more for the older generation...? I'm not into clubs but it's nice to have a nice restaurant or neighborhood bar to go do once in a while. I've also read about Boca & Wellington, but Boca may be too far a commute for hubby.

I'm a stay at home mom (former career gal who never thought she would be) and a writer. So I guess I'm nest building at this point but also thrive on the vibrancy of city life. I like to know that I can find activity when I want it, but also retreat to a quiet place called home.

Oh, and a bike path nearby would be GREAT.

Am I asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,602 times
Hurricanes are going to be the same anywhere in PBC pretty much the only difference would be how far East you are. We haven't had one in a few years though.

The Gardens/Jupiter would be a good fit for what you are looking for. Great schools, multiple health food stores (including a whole foods), lots of stuff to do, nice paths for biking, and only about 15-20 in North of West Palm.

Finding a rental with a huge yard will be tougher in that price range, but when you go to buy you should be able to find something with a decent yard. I actually have a client looking to get out of a 4/3 townhome lease in the area so they can buy a home.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks very much for the advice. I've heard about Jupiter as well but thought the commute might be too far. We'll look into it. I'm still concerned about crime...anyone have thoughts on that?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Hurricanes are going to be the same anywhere in PBC pretty much the only difference would be how far East you are. We haven't had one in a few years though.

The Gardens/Jupiter would be a good fit for what you are looking for. Great schools, multiple health food stores (including a whole foods), lots of stuff to do, nice paths for biking, and only about 15-20 in North of West Palm.

Finding a rental with a huge yard will be tougher in that price range, but when you go to buy you should be able to find something with a decent yard. I actually have a client looking to get out of a 4/3 townhome lease in the area so they can buy a home.
+1 on the Gardens/Jupiter/Juno beach area. Close to beach, nice communities where you can walk, go to the park, easy access to I-95, affordable, 20 minutes north of Delray where there are great restaurants and it is very family friendly.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Wellington. There is a Whole Foods there. About 15-20 minutes to downtown, straight down okeechobee blvd. Its west, west palm beach. Related nearby communities are Royal Palm Beach, and the Acreage if you really want some land, Loxahatchee is a bit farther out from the Acreage. And it should be pretty easy to find a rental in your range in the acreage. Though remember its well water and thats a topic that requires research and a good water system on your part. Acreage is where I live, I know the FedEx lady, the UPS guy and the postman all by name. I get a lot of packages for work, at home. Its more country out here too, you just missed the Fall Festival.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Oh, and the closer to the beach, the less land, the less family friendly and the more expensive.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM

To add, Wellington also has small festivals, as well as THE Equestrian Festival and Polo, "season" is in full swing right now. Its also VERY close to the South Florida Fairgrounds, the fair is coming up in 2 weeks. There are multiple events at the fairgrounds throughout the year that are family oriented. West Palm Beach gets SunFest Mayish I think, its online though, thats a bit more adult oriented.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbydog View Post
Thanks very much for the advice. I've heard about Jupiter as well but thought the commute might be too far. We'll look into it. I'm still concerned about crime...anyone have thoughts on that?
I live in Jupiter and feel very safe here. I leave my garage door open all the time and have never had issues. I see people out jogging/biking all day and into the night.

Driving to West Palm is a very easy drive especially now that the majority of the construction. I can get to Cityplace in roughly 20 minutes.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Thank you all so much for the info! I'm excited to start looking...we're thinking maybe March we'll be moving so hopefully a scouting trip end of this month.

Any thoughts on Delray? A friend I hadn't seen in a while told me yesterday she was familiar with Florida and that Delray was kinda "grungy" like Venice Beach here. I love the ecletic/creative vibe of a quaint beach community (as opposed to cookie-cutter homes/gated community) but not the gang issues we have in Venice (one of the reasons we left). Especially with children. Is crime or drugs a problem in Delray - specifically the schools?

In fact, anyone know about the public schools? I looked at the API scores for Delray and WPB and there are some top performing schools there, but then when I read Parent Reviews on Greatschools.org, some of the info is conflicting.

Wellington seems to be a good choice for families, but I also want to have some activity and be closer to the beach ~ but it's definitely on the radar (thanks Wireyourworld )

Any of you have thoughts on Boyton Beach or Boca Raton? (Boca may be a bit too far though for hubby)

Also, close proximity to airports is always good. I know neighborhoods close to airports are usually a bit sketchy, but a 30 min drive is doable if it's a great area. Hubby will be flying to Vegas and LA for work and my family is in Ohio, his in Europe, so we'll be traveling a lot more after the move.

Thanks again everyone! And if there are any other suggestions ~ feel free to post! I'm all ears!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM

The more "quaint" you get, the less art, culture, downtown area etc you have. There are very few, if any, small beach communities of the type you describe in south florida, maybe farther up the coast, or the west coast of the state. Delray is actually a bit like Venice now that you mention it, though without the shops and crafters on the beach, the shops and crafters are on Atlantic Blvd. Hollywood is a bit more like it (FL). You're best bet is to come down and see. Most south east beaches have been taken over by condos, hotels and luxury homes. Hobe Sound (which actually has its beach on Jupiter Island) is way to quiet. Stuart is nice, check that out. 30 miles to West Palm Beach from Stuart. The airport Palm Beach International, is easy to get to from anywhere. "Beachfront" is hard to find, Intracoastal front is up the coast, Jupiter Island and Hutchinson Island are the barrier Islands, as is Palm Beach island. Also remember, the closer to the water, the worse for you if there is a hurricane. Many are in flood zones, you have to worry about evacuations, mandatory. And also property tax can be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach