Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times

Advertisements

Isn't there anywhere safe other than a gated community~? I wanted to buy when I was down there, but just wasn't sure. After reading all of this I have second thoughts of buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Isn't there anywhere safe other than a gated community~? I wanted to buy when I was down there, but just wasn't sure. After reading all of this I have second thoughts of buying.
Sure there are non-gated communities that are safe, gated communities don't guarantee safety, well maybe if you can afford to live in Frenchmen's Creek with it's high tech surveillance system with perimeter sensors and cameras and armed security staff.

Florida's Frenchman's Creek golf community takes course security high tech - WorldGolf.com

It all depends where you want to live.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
There are plenty of non-gated communities that are safe!

I live in a non-gated community, the only extra precaution I take is to ensure my car is locked (in case someone is going around pulling on door handles...which, incidentally, is endemic nationwide) .... which should be the norm anyway.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM

513 posts, read 962,126 times
I have a home in Old Northwood we rent out. And a condo in Miami Beach we use 3 months out of the year.

West Palm Beach/Riveria Beach have their pockets of high crime area like any other city. What is unique about WPB is you could have 500K home on one street and literally two streets overs have slums. We heard gunshots a few times when we first bought the house. If I am in backyard at the Old Northwood property at night, I have my handgun on me or close by.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There are plenty of non-gated communities that are safe!

I live in a non-gated community, the only extra precaution I take is to ensure my car is locked (in case someone is going around pulling on door handles...which, incidentally, is endemic nationwide) .... which should be the norm anyway.

I would feel safer in a gated community who has a man/woman at the gate who won't let you in the community unless they have you on a list. I have a friend in Boca who lives in a gated community and that is how it is at Boca West, which is a really nice area. Wouldn't want to live there since I don't play golf or tennis, but I love the pools they have and the dining facilities that we went to. Also, they have a wonderful dog park~!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I would feel safer in a gated community who has a man/woman at the gate who won't let you in the community unless they have you on a list. I have a friend in Boca who lives in a gated community and that is how it is at Boca West, which is a really nice area. Wouldn't want to live there since I don't play golf or tennis, but I love the pools they have and the dining facilities that we went to. Also, they have a wonderful dog park~!

Some people like the country club lifestyle, and that's cool.

I'm not saying I'd NEVER live in a gated community, but I wouldn't do it because of safety!

I have restaurants, shopping, walking trails, the intracoastal, museum, and a dog park all within walking distance where I am now.... what may someday drive me to a gated community is if my OCD for orderliness drives me to somewhere with a strict HOA. There is none where I live now, and every block has that "one house" that you just want to go and shake the neighbors and say, "FIX UP YOUR HOUSE!!!" lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach