Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,959 times

Advertisements

Need information with regards to the Century Village over 55 condos in WPB, Delray, ect. How well managed. HOA Costs, Rules, Crime, Vacancies, Kids, rentals, and or quality of life. All comments helpful...OT2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I don't have any info for you other than the fact that the local state reps hit Century Village HARD, trying to please the constituency there since they're the most active groups of voters!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM

15 posts, read 96,158 times
my mother in law lives in wpb century village and she loves it..all the activties, transportation, friends, rules....not sure on specifics..but go to centuryvillage.com and you'll see rentals and sale..also palmbeachpost.com...I know sales are cheap there. real cheap

Old 08-19-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 30,198 times
Default re: help on CV Boca

We're snowbirds, and have wintered in CVW since 1998, both as renters and as owners.

Your question is difficult to answer. I was searching the web before I found this forum, and came across a site that had many statistics about CVW (CVW stands for Century Village West). It was 3rd CV built (roughly 28 years ago), and at that time, it was the most westerly. This is 55+ community, no pets, no children living here, so they may get bored when they visit.

I can't remember all of my facts, so the numbers may be off a couple. There are over 5,000 condo units, in the approximately 19 associations that make up CVW. The associations all have volunteer boards, and collectively hire professional management, maintenance, cable service, etc. There is a large clubhouse containing a 1200 seat auditorium, numerous card rooms, class rooms, a large exercise equipment room, small library, both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, etc. The club house is the center staging area for the 7 bus routes that circulate the village every 1/2 hour until 11PM, and the number of buses traveling to surrounding shopping and office areas during the day.

Each of the associations has it's own community swimming pool, maintained by a central service. The buildings are masonry, 3 or 4 floors, each having a central elevator, exterior catwalks, 2 laundry rooms and storage areas per floor.

During the winter season, there are stage shows in our theater at least 2 nights every week, fairly recent movies most days, and dancing at least 1 night a week. During off season, the programs are less frequent. Tickets for the shows vary, but currently there are a few as expensive as $10-12. Movies are free.

The residents of the Village, are fairly typical for senior complexes. The average age is probably in the 70's, and are mostly retired. There are a small number of still working residents. I've met many retired school teachers, medical professionals, scientists, homemakers, etc. You name it, and you can probably find it.

I don't know if this what you're looking for. We rented the first year in CV quite by accident, we didn't know this place even existed. We bought at the end of our second season, and very happy we did. We've made great friends, and have great neighbors. We heard one person in the clubhouse compare the activities here like going to camp. I guess when you buy here you're buying more than just a place to live, you're buying a life style.

I guess you tell. my wife and I are very happy we bought here.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,218 times
Century Village in Boca seems very safe to me. It is close to everything, has buses to supermkts etc. Tight gate security, great prices and activites. I believe a movie and play theater. People who live there (My cleaning co. cleans condos there) seem happy, content and like life at Boca Cent. Vill. Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 29,872 times
DO all condo board member meeting have to be open to the public ?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 66,871 times
Smile Century Village, West Palm Beach

March 2008

Greetings,

I have been a resident in CV, WPB for appx. five years, three renting and two as an owner. Although I'll be turning 65 soon, I still have all of my mental and physical faculties.

CV/WPB has just completed an $8 million clubhouse and theater restoration, has 12 private and public swimming pools, a golf course, tennis courts, shuffleboard courts, bocci court, picnic area, and numerous organizations and clubs. To check on the latest listings, go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and type in zip code 33417. There are three internal buses and three external buses that run 365 days a year, plus two excursion buses per week. CV is said to have more services than any other 55+ community in the country, however, I've never done any research on it so cannot validate the authenticity of such claims.

Security is extremely tight: two manned entrance gates and a 24 hour sheriff's patrol. Owners and renters must undergo an investigation process and be approved by the condo's board of directors. Each condo has its own board of directors with respective duties that are included in CV's Bylaws. The overall operation of CV is managed by United Civic Organization, whose members and officers are elected. It publishes a monthly newspaper

I would agree with most of the negative comments posted here re CV, and South Florida in general. I've always thought that the rude behavior was due to the fact that most South Floridians are not native to Florida. Natives are very different, on the rare occasion that you meet one. I was jammed three times in the back by a Wal-Mart shopper while in line and I told him that if he did it again I'd deck him, and I'm an "old lady." What I do when I'm trying to navigate the aisles in the huge supermarkets down here is to yell out, "BEEP! BEEP!" so that the shopper knows I'm trying to pass. Others don't bother to let you know, and just ram into you or your shopping cart! It's also easier to shop after 6 p.m. when most of the rudies are eating dinner.

As for the rest of the West Palm Beach vicinity, they ought to give it back to the Indians or to the Flagler estate who founded both Palm Beach and WPB. There is little if any culture here and the majority of people I've met are poorly educated and unsociable. There is, basically, no middle class and a large population of poor people who work for $8 per hour in the retail and hospitality industries, while the converse is a population of super wealthy "snowbirds" who are not heavily invested (eg, schools and education) in their communities. This is why most New Yorkers who try to make a go of it in this "paradise" don't remain here. If one has money, one can live a very nice lifestyle in S. Florida; however, if one is looking for a career path, good luck! I still can't get used to the low wages, and the "right to work" law. Low income or not, Palm Beach County prices for the average "market basket" of goods were reported to be some of the highest in the country.

I'd suggest that middle to higher income retirees, and those below the age of 70, avoid Century Villages in general. They were not built with this demographic in mind. CV's first phase was built in 1969, on the Haverhill Rd. side of the Village, and later phases were erected over a span of five or more years.

For 55+ retirees and snowbirds, CV is THE bargain in South Florida. Monthly common charges (which include land and recreation leases) average $200 to $400 per condo unit. Most owners are fully invested and do not have mortgages. In most condos, rentals are allowed once a year, and time-sharing is prohibited. Guests and visitors, depending on the length of their stay, must obtain a visitor's pass, and no guest may remain in a unit when the owner is not present, regardless of the relationship.

Several of the condos are PET FRIENDLY, but I do not know if there are restrictions on the kinds and sizes of the pets.

Questions are welcome.

Getting back to CV/WPB, there are only two kinds of residents: those who love CV, and those who hate it.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 66,871 times
Default Are Century Village board meetings open to the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSK View Post
DO all condo board member meeting have to be open to the public ?
Most CV acitivities are open only to CV residents. CV is very strict about who can be in the Village and what they can or can't do. Visitors and guests, for example, are restricted to the main clubhouse pools. Visitors and guests cannot enter the clubhouse unless they are accompanied by a resident. Each condo has its own meetings once or twice a year.

The upshot of all these restrictions is that CV is relatively crime free in a state with one of the highest crime rates in the country.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
i can tell you that that place is a non-stop pick up and go from a fire-rescue 911 standpoint. As soon as they take someone to the hospital, another unit is there for another emergency and so on and so forth....they average about 12 calls a shift originating from Century Village in pembroke pines.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 54,539 times
Default any younger people

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
i can tell you that that place is a non-stop pick up and go from a fire-rescue 911 standpoint. As soon as they take someone to the hospital, another unit is there for another emergency and so on and so forth....they average about 12 calls a shift originating from Century Village in pembroke pines.
Century WP;

Is their any younger "retirees"? We are 60 and found a totally renovated unit with great views, dock, biliard room....... What scares me is that it is to cheap!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach