Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
This wasn't posted as a "Woe is us, what are we to do now?" kind of thread. It was posted to honor the service of a leader to the State of WV and its people. Never said that I agreed with him politically or even voted for him, but you can't deny the good things that happened in this state with his help. Our schools and road ways would be much less than they are without him. Over 40 construction projects bear his name and many more happened because of him, not to mention the countless research money that he has brought to the state in recent years as well. As stated, it will be interesting to see where we go from here. This will definitely be a new era in WV politics, hopefully one that will move us forward.
I agree with you. The people of West Virginia used to show respect for the dead even if not for the living all the time. I think your post was meant to honor a man who not only served the longest in the Senate, he served the longest in Congress, of anyone, and was an absolute perfectionist about his job. He was a Congressman for six years, then 51 in the Senate. So bow your heads in a moment of silence, or if you pray, do it now. After he's buried we can argue about his politics.

Here's a good article from the New York Times about his passing: Robert Byrd, Respected Voice of the Senate, Dies at 92 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Nice press release from Sen. Reid of Nevada on Sen. Byrd: Reid on Byrd: 'America has lost a great defender of its most precious traditions' - The Political Eye - ReviewJournal.com

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
When Senator Byrd was elected to the Senate in 1958...
> Dwight Eisenhower has two years remaining in his second term as president.
> Popular TV shows included Gunsmoke and I Love Lucy.
> The Edsel was in the process of flopping.
> The Ford Mustang was still six years in the future.
> Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard wouldn't fly into space for three more years.
> Elvis Presley had just been inducted into the Army.

West Virginia and the Nation will miss him dearly.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Senator Byrd sent over 20 billion into Wv...

What our future will be has depended entirely on his work for us.

As for a replacement...none are on the horizion to fill his shoes at all, but a friend told me this morning that a helicopter in C-town is gassed up and waiting for the call to DC...

Wonder if Obama will make the invitation personally, or keep quiet?
Call for what? The Governor appoints someone to fill out the term, and Manchin has stated he will not appoint himself.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
My two cents say that he appoints someone with the understanding that they will not run for the spot though.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post

West Virginia and the Nation will miss him dearly.
Indeed. NPR coverage was dominated most of the day. World news article had posted one of his last speeches. Of all things dear to my heart, the man was defending the Coast Guard from an appropriations sub committee trying to marginalize the job as they've historically done since inception.

Hat's off to you Byrd, a loyal servant to America right to the bitter end. I would hope those shoes that need filling will inspire those who follow to take the lead of your legacy. Whatever changes are ahead, some things, and some traditions, should never change.
-------------

As for the select critics in this thread; it was your job as constituents to articulate your disagreement in open debate or directly to the man/ his office when he was alive. Griping out the sides of your mouths when he can't speak for himself any longer speaks volumes about yourselves. Shame on you.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
Senator Byrd served our state well. He made many changes in his personal views during that time.

Plenty of time to be nasty next week.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Yup, the tea party is already circulating an email about Mollohan getting the appointment.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Yup, the tea party is already circulating an email about Mollohan getting the appointment.
Well I can't imagine that will happen.....I guess we will have to wait and see.When a guy can't even win his parties primary for a house seat he already holds i cant imagine the governor promoting him to the senate.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Let's try to keep harsh political discussions out of the thread, folks. The purpose via the original post was not to start things up on anything other than to announce the death of a long term representative of the State, so keep things tame please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia