Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times

Advertisements

I'm in Charlotte nc and going to drive to Charleston WV this week. I'm a little nervous. Never been up that way before. Any help be nice thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:42 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentaylor0720 View Post
I'm in Charlotte nc and going to drive to Charleston WV this week. I'm a little nervous. Never been up that way before. Any help be nice thank you in advance.

Hi there,

Driving in WV and VA on 77 can be a challenge if you're not used to driving on curvy roads. It just takes a little time to adjust and learning to be extra cautious about what other vehicles are doing.

Once you make it across the VA state line from NC you will notice a major change in the highway. More curves and hills. Fog is a major problem on 77 in Virginia, and their DOH has placed electronic speed limit signs that they can change depending on how bad the weather is. You will want to be extra cautious. Truckers drive like maniacs, so try to avoid lingering too close to a cluster of them. They will speed going down hill to gain momentum for going up the next hill. They also aren't afraid to pass cars. Another thing to watch out for in VA is the state police. They are very active and will pull you over for minor speeding violations. They also patrol and enforce speed limits via aircraft which is crazy. I think they scan your plate and send you a ticket in the mail.

When you cross into WV via a tunnel the road seems to narrow even more. I-77 is a toll road in WV and will cost you a total and of $6 for going through all three tolls ($2 cash each time). WV accepts EZPass.

If the weather is nice, you will get to see some spectacular scenery. West Virginia is a beautiful state to drive through, but it can be stressful. My advice is to stay focused, but don't get worked too worked up. The last thing you will want to be is emotional and having to deal with sharp turns and people cutting you off every half minute. There is plenty of places to pull off and rest, and in WV we have the travel plaza rest stops with Restaurants, Starbucks and gasoline.

Hope this helped

Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
There's a long uphill grade at the NC/VA border, between Mt Airy NC and Fancy Gap VA.

It's three lanes wide. Tractor trailers in the right lane, going 22 mph, will suddenly pull into the middle lane to pass a slower truck going 21 mph. In the left lane, cars and SUVs going 75 will encounter 55 mph traffic, and pull into the middle lane to pass. Just pay attention, and look as far ahead of you as you can, to anticipate developing problems.

That also is one of the areas where fog can be a big problem. I've come through there a few times when the visibility was 50 feet.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Ahhhh, the 3-lane Turnpike. One northbound lane, one southbound lane, and one middle lane for passing, either northbound or southbound. I remember that to get to one of the Travel Plazas, you had to cross the lane going the other way, just like you would on a normal two-way surface street.

By comparison, today's WV Turnpike is a magic carpet ride.
I can only imagine how many head-on collisions there must have been.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
I agree. Biggest thing to be on the look out for is fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia