Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times

Advertisements

Putting aside the politics for a moment, how do you feel about that TV commercial for US Senate where they had to go out of state to find a "Hicky Blue Collar" guy?

Are there no real "hicky blue collar workers in WVA who could use a job?

Its one thing for others to portray WVA as a Hick State but another when a local does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 AM

938 posts, read 2,899,151 times
A "hicky" (sic) is a thing you give your girlfriend.

Just an FYI.

As for political ads, we don't particularly care. I would like to think that West Virginians are wise enough to know that they are ridiculous hyperbole 100% of the time and not worthy of our attention.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,776 times
Why they were called "hicks" I don't know, but the men who worked the woods, felling timber and loading the flat cars, were called "wood hicks" back a century or so ago.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 AM

150 posts, read 561,113 times
Just another example of how the Republican right has contempt for anyone other than the rich imperialists.

Whether you’re a cab driver in NYC, a cashier in New Mexico, a teacher in Seattle, or a fisherman in Rhode Island…they have nothing but contempt for working folks. Once in a while the truth slips out no matter how carful they are.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 PM

84 posts, read 202,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Why they were called "hicks" I don't know, but the men who worked the woods, felling timber and loading the flat cars, were called "wood hicks" back a century or so ago.
According to a popular etymology derives from the nickname "Old Hickory" for Andrew Jackson, one of the first Presidents of the United States to come from rural hard-scrabble roots. This nickname suggested that Jackson was tough and enduring like an old Hickory tree. Jackson was particularly admired by the residents of remote and mountainous areas of the United States, people who would come to be known as "hicks."

According to Wikipedia......Sounds reasonable.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
Yeah, I saw the proposed ad on TV. Evidently, it was some actor's agency in Philly looking for actors to play "hicky", blue-collar WVans. So they figured they'd put some husky guys who needed to shave in plaid shirts and trucker hats having beers in a wood-paneled bar. Didn't look like WV necessarily to me; I thought it could have been several places.

Is it an insult to be called a hick? I tell people I'm part-hick all the time (it's even in the subtitle of my CD Forum name). A simple background is nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
I'm not upset at all!

it's time we stop the crap about who said what, and time to talk about the issues!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 PM

967 posts, read 2,996,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm not upset at all!

it's time we stop the crap about who said what, and time to talk about the issues!
You and I may feel that way, but the "R" and "D" crowd want to continue with the standard bufoonery they have been feeding us (succesfully) for the last 100 years.

Depends if you're similing when you call me a Hick(y). If you're not, you'd best not be within a fists reach.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 13,491 times
Issues? You mean like J-O-B-S? Have you seen the Manchin ad showing Raese boasting that "I am in business NOT to create jobs. I am in business to make money".

I guess all them hicks will just have to eat cake.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
You and I may feel that way, but the "R" and "D" crowd want to continue with the standard bufoonery they have been feeding us (succesfully) for the last 100 years.

Hear, hear! It's encouraging to see that some people really do get it.

Raese - "I made my fortune the old fashioned way, I inherited it."

The big shame is, people are just going to line up and vote for these guys. There should be a 'reject' option on all ballots. If 'reject' wins, we shuffle the deck with all new candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia