Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM

31 posts, read 173,814 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Fairmont, WV. I live in Houston, TX presently. We recently went back to WV to visit my parents for the month of July. I miss the kindness and truly genuine folk of WV.

My two children and my nephew decided they wanted to have a lemonade stand. I was a bit concerned that they would not have a lot of business and would become discouraged. However, they were determined so they opened for business. Wow, was I ever mistaken, they had more business than they could handle. So many people stopped with a smile on their face and made the kids feel like they were doing the most important job ever. It was so heartwarming.

I would like to thank all of the wonderful people that took a few minutes out of their day to make the days of these children. They were elated to have so many people stop at their stand the first day that they opened a second day...They sold 10 GALLONS of lemonade.

I was so pleasantly reminded of what makes West Virginia the best place ever, THE PEOPLE. In my opinion, West Virginians are in a league of their own.

Our kids were in the newspaper with a photo and the newspaper staff actually took the time to interview them and write a story. It amazed me from beginning to end that so many people were willing to take a moment out of their busy life to stop, chat with my kids, share a cup of lemonade and make their day. I am not sure they would have had the same reception anywhere else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 03:36 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,074,480 times
Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Hope you got a video of this and please make the written account in your personal journal..when they are old a gray these days/times will be gone and only a memory...as for lemonade...good lemonade is hard to find..many people will travel many miles for a great product...possibly, you are underestimating a great product just a little..the market for good lemonade was certainly realized on the front sidewalk...today its lemonade, tomorrow the world...
When its all summed up...life is the good memories we make today...

Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
Thanks for sharing - the people here are great. Would never want to move back to my born-n-bred state.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,666 times
i love west virginians too. I went there for college in fairmont for a year and a half. I am a city boy from DC area, and it took me a while to get into their tight knit clan, but once you dida nd they trusted you, and you understood they wanted to live their lives the way they do, then they will respect you and you will never find a better friend than one out of west virginians. only complaint i have is those guys dont like leaving the state! lol i try to get them to come over to Northern Virginia all the time, and they just dont want nothing of it, they want to spend their days in their hollers with their dogs and beer. Gotta love them for sure, but come out of hiding every now and then! lol

Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 AM

I'm coming out of the 'holler next Wednesday to travel down to Dulles...How excited I am about taking the 'Beltway...even for a few miles...Why would I want to do that?
Being forced to do it...mama gave the order..."You will GO! I'll be happy when I turn the car and head for the sunset on I-68.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Take the Greenway to Dulles. It's not a bad ride through the valley.

If you're going and have time, check out the new Air and Space museum in Dulles. It's FANTASTIC!! Much better than the one on the mall. So many planes it's not funny.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM

I was talking to the Lady about taking a more rural route...maybe through Reston...been a 'coon's age since I was through that part of the county...will look it up....thanks 3-run.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
79 to 68
68 to 70E
70E to 81S

Take 81S to Inwood, make left off exit (onto Rt.51) make a right at the next light light (still on 51) and then a left at the next light (remaining on 51) follow to Charles Town.

Turn left at the first stop sign (which is about 8-10 miles down 51) and you'll go straight through old town Charles Town. Travel 51 until you see a sign for Rt.340 Leesburg- take 340 out past Summit Point, Rippon, over into VA towards Berryville. Take Rt.7 all the way in until you see the signs for the Dulles Greenway which takes you smack dab into Dulles Airport.

It's a little longer than taking Rt.9, but I think the scenery in the Shenandoah is worth the extra gallon of gas.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the directions...added to my 'comfort zone...I've survived the traffic in Honolulu, Manila and Sydney...as bad or worse than those crazies on the 'Beltway and you know what 'She' said...'Sugar...we must be there between 3:30 and 4 pm...No realization that this is the "kamakazi hour...for those driving lunatics...I think the airlines do some of this on purpose....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia