Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DO you like living in WV?
I love it here, no complaints. 5 21.74%
I really like it here, it has its downfalls just like any other place but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else 16 69.57%
Its okay but I would like to move eventually 0 0%
Don't think WV has much to offer anymore besides coal 0 0%
I am sick of WV/can't stand it here, HELP GET ME OUT OF HERE! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

Thanks and feel free to ellaborate on why you chose what you chose.

Also

Pros and cons about living in WV would be very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I love WV for the friendly people, the mountains, the convenience and the overall feel of the state. People here are proud of their heritage but are rarely arrogant and usually willing to help in any way they can. The state has it's problems but no area exists that doesn't have some problem, big or small. I live in the Huntington area and couldn't imagine living any where else.
Tim

Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM

I have met a few people from WV who I really get along with and they tell me stories that have me becoming curious of WV. I love the idea of living near mountains and getting away from huge car-centric metropolises for a while. How is the cost of living?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM

620 posts, read 1,838,821 times
Tim: For those reasons alone I'm coming to check out West Virginia. From your blogs one can see you are very proud of your state and so helpful - wish we had more people like you in the town I live in, in Wisconsin. Can't wait to visit. I also sense a feeling of friendships among the people here on this WV board.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
I am not a West Virginian there for i cant vote. I just happend to see this and thought i would say something. even though probably alot of West Virginians on here have seen my thread West Virginia-economical situation. and i know there was some things that i said and some people took it the wrong way. but i will say this I think West Virginia is a Wonderful state to live in. I have friends that are up here and used to live in West Virginia and they are some of the most kindest /funniest/down to earth people you would ever meet they are always polite,friendly, and always willing to lend a hand to a neighbor in need. and in my opinion i think they are a very good example of someone from West Virginina

i also apologize for anyone who misinterpreted what i said and took it the wrong way.
on West Virginia-economical situation.

Last edited by Future Trooper; 07-16-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM

I am really impressed that so far everyone has voted on of these: "love it here, no complaints" or
"I really like it here, it has its downfalls just like any other place but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else".

Its great seeing so many people happy with WV. Its starting to seem like the place to be.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I have met a few people from WV who I really get along with and they tell me stories that have me becoming curious of WV. I love the idea of living near mountains and getting away from huge car-centric metropolises for a while. How is the cost of living?
Cost of living here is among the best in the nation. As a matter of fact, Forbes ranked Huntington as having THE best cost of living in the nation for 2007 and 2008. Here's the link: #100 Huntington WV - Forbes.com

Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Tim: For those reasons alone I'm coming to check out West Virginia. From your blogs one can see you are very proud of your state and so helpful - wish we had more people like you in the town I live in, in Wisconsin. Can't wait to visit. I also sense a feeling of friendships among the people here on this WV board.
I LOVE this state very much. The leadership frustrates me sometimes but it's a great place to grow up and live. Can't wait to have you visit and see it all for yourself. Are you still planning on taking the train out of Huntington? If so, make sure you book early as it tends to sell out pretty quick.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Granted I have only been a permanent resident for 11 months but I have owned property here that we have been coming on weekends for 6 years. WV people are the friendliest down to Earth real people you will ever meet.

In fact, every time when we would come up for the weekend as soon as I pass the "welcome to WV" or the "open for business", I felt like I was at home and I hated leaving. Now I don't have too .

Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I love the state, the people, the friends I have met over the years, the memories made at hunting camp and camping and hiking with the family, the good times at all the festivals and the quiet times I get alone to recharge my batteries.

Of course this state has it's downfalls, just as pointed out in the economical conditions thread. It's tough to attract businesses and tough to compete against some neighboring states on a number of grounds. I fully understand why we lose a lot of folks to other places. As a parent, I fully anticipate my children to have to leave this area to find better opportunities.

But that being said, I do feel fortunate in that I can make a good living here in WV. Personally I feel the aforementioned positives far outweigh the negatives. Like I've always said- there's only one other place I'd choose to live, and that's Colorado. I'm content here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia