Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM

92 posts, read 233,255 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Kearneysville from Northern VA. On the weekends we would take our kids to Leesylvania state park which is on the Potomac but they have "beach" areas for the kids, play areas and picnic spots. My question is there anything like that around here? Any lakes, rivers, or anything that would be worth going to on the weekends? We like to be outside, maybe take a lunch or use outdoor picnic areas....I haven't really found anything except Harpers Ferry but we didn't see any water access or "beach" areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Sleepy Creek Parks & Rec...

Old 05-10-2011, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 103,173 times
You could also check out Catoctin Mountain Park outside of Thurmont, MD. It's probably about a 45-55 minute drive for you. They have a fair amount of outdoor picnic areas, some picnic shelters, a small lake with a beach, numerous hiking trails, a waterfall, and plenty of C&R trout streams. There may be a fee to get down to the area with the lake in the summer. Not sure though.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 AM

166 posts, read 362,894 times
I don't remember the name but there's a lake with a beach near Boonsboro, also there's Cacapon State Park in Berkeley Springs

Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Sleepy Creek is a "wildlife management area", not a "parks and rec" location. Hunting, fishing, rustic camping, mountain biking, hiking are all activities available there. There is a 208 acre lake (electric motors only) for fishing, and I don't ever recall seeing anybody swimming in it.

There is a place called "Poor House Farm Park" outside of Martinsburg. I've not been there, but I believe that there is a lake with swimming there. There is also "Clearbrook Park" between Winchester and Martinsburg off of Rt 81 that is pretty nice. There is both a lake and pool there. These would be the only two that I can think of that might have a "beach area".

Within Charles Town, there is a small community pool in Jefferson Park. It opens at the end of the month, I think.

And there is always the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. The water is pretty rapid and dangerous around Harpers Ferry, so you really need to be careful there. But further upstream on the Shenandoah are several locations where you can play in the water. Just before you cross the river on Rt 9 coming out of Charles Town, you can turn left on the road that runs along the river. There is a park about a mile or two down the river. You can get access to the Shenandoah off of Meyersdale (sp?) Road, in Rippon just south of Charles Town on rt 340. Follow the road all the way to the river. There are several spots to park along the river. There is alot of fishing that happens along the river.

As mentioned above, Cacapon State Park near Berkeley Springs is pretty nice and sound exactly like what you are looking for. I've taken my kids over there before, and they've always enjoyed themselves.

Hope that this helps.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM

40 posts, read 104,825 times
Cacapon is a good choice and has a lot of stuff there. Clearbrook has a lake for fishing and paddle boats, plus a pool, picnic tables, playground for the kids, etc. Sherando is a little farther for you but has a nice walking path around the lake, alright fishing, and lots of picnic areas. The Cove in Gore would be a long drive but they have a small beach area on their private lakes.

I go fishing at Sleepy Creek a few times a year, but there isn't any beach like areas on it. There is some river access areas along the Shenandoah, but mostly for fishing. Too bad Watermelon Park has a bad reputation anymore, it would have been a good place for you also.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM

92 posts, read 233,255 times
Thank you all for the information provided. We are going to check out Berkeley Springs area as I think this is just want we are looking for. BTW someone had mentioned underground caves or a river in Charles Town? Does anyone know anything about it?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Supposedly Charles Town is located above an enormous underground lake/cavern .... I say "supposedly" because I've not seen it with my own eyes. As the story goes, this underground lake was at one time accessible and there was a commercial entity that operated boat rides. However, for whatever reason ... it's all closed down and unaccessible. There is supposed to be a sealed up entrance in one of the resturants in Charles Town. I heard this story when I first moved to the area in 2001 ... no idea if it's true or not.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Here's a video about the lake:
YouTube

Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM

166 posts, read 362,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
There is a place called "Poor House Farm Park" outside of Martinsburg. I've not been there, but I believe that there is a lake with swimming there.
Poor House Farm Park is a beautiful park, but you definitely can't swim there (at least not legally).

Poor House Farm Park (http://www.mbcparks-rec.org/park_poorhousefarm.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia