Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

This state seems to vote Democratic more than other areas south of it. But at the same time, I'd think it would be a conservative's dream state as well.

Any explanation to the contradictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Democrats in WV are by and large conservative in most areas.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,991 times
Distrust of corporations coupled with unions helping to improve mine conditions in the early part of the 20th century turned generations of West Virginians into socially conservative democrats. GWB and 911 changed much of that, as many West Virginians turned more into neoconservatives. The state still votes democrat on the state level, but will likely vote republican in national elections for decades to come. Many (like some of my older relatives) who would never vote for a republican, also couldn't bring themselves to vote for a black man, so they simply did not vote in 2008.

Finally, the population of WV is the 2nd oldest in the country, and those targeted smear campaigns on Obama's health plan have convinced them all that death squads exist, and health care for everyone means the end of their medicare.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This state seems to vote Democratic more than other areas south of it. But at the same time, I'd think it would be a conservative's dream state as well.

I find calling WV southern debatable. Parts of Southern WV certainly are southern and are similar to Kentucky, Tennessee, or Southern Virginia. Northern WV around Morgantown has more in common with Pittsburgh and is really NE. Same with Martinsburg, which is getting similar to the DC metro area, but much smaller. Parts of WV also have a lot in common with the Midwest like Wheeling, and Huntington or Parkersberg.

So really it depends where in WV you are. Overall it is a very blue collar white working class state, so it is very blue dog democrat. It is somewhat socially conservative, but for the most part is not bible belt social conservative, except for parts of Southern WV. I wouldnt call most West Virginians liberals or progressives, but they aren't bible thumpers either. Racism and homophobia are prevelant though.

People vote for democrats locally, because they generally support the working class, and WV has a history of exploitation. On the national scene they sometimes become more conservative, but I believe WV would have gone blue last election had Hilary Clinton been the democratic nominee. As long as the democrat isnt percieved as being too liberal WV tends to go for them, but perhaps that is changing.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
It's quite simple - we like our God and our guns with a side of government pork.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Distrust of corporations coupled with unions helping to improve mine conditions in the early part of the 20th century turned generations of West Virginians into socially conservative democrats. GWB and 911 changed much of that, as many West Virginians turned more into neoconservatives.
Yeah, I did notice that nationwide. A growing chasm post 9-11. Neoconservatism brought in a lot of people who use to vote Democratic...coupled that with an explosion of right wing talk radio.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Trust me.. everyone in West Virginia isn't a conservative.

You'd be surprised by how people actually believe. It's one of those you can't judge a book by their cover type things. A majority of people in West Virginia suffer from apathy pertaining to politics. They generally have the attitude of live and let live. Do your thing and I'll do my thing, but don't try to tell me what I can and cant do. My fathers family was liberal Dems and my Mothers family was moderate Dems, that now tend to mirror modern day Republican, except for the religious aspect of the new Republican party. I turned out a very liberal Democrat by todays standards.

West Virginia has a strong union base as well, which helps out the Dems.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Everybody in West Virginia isn't conservative, that's true. I would say, though, that on social issues it is the prevailing thought, and that includes every part of the State with the possible exception (unfortunately) of my Morgantown. We do have more than our fair share of politically correct attempts to rewrite history around here. In spite of that, it is an outstanding place to live.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,347 times
We also have quite a few Republicans of days gone by, like mine owners, pharmaceutical owners, builders, etc. They, for the most part have no interest in social issues, but are very interested in tax breaks, EPA regulation, etc. All of southern WV is by no means conservative.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Everybody in West Virginia isn't conservative, that's true. I would say, though, that on social issues it is the prevailing thought, and that includes every part of the State with the possible exception (unfortunately) of my Morgantown. We do have more than our fair share of politically correct attempts to rewrite history around here. In spite of that, it is an outstanding place to live.
Does it tell you anything that the most educated city in the state is also the most liberal? Does it tell you anything that the most educated areas everywhere in the world are liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia