Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
L4S,

I, for one, wouldn't give a second thought to switching from a situation where I had 5000sf within a few minutes of work, to having to commute 1~1.5 hrs each way in the suburbs/exurbs of Washington DC. It just wouldn't be conceivable to me.

Snorpus
If you can afford that 5000 sq ft home minutes from work... I agree. I think the problem is becoming affordability though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 98,625 times
my real problem is that my income is going away and i have to look for a new job. add that to the fact that this place is a cultural and economic wasteland and i almost have to look elsewhere. no matter where i go, i won't be in kansas anymore. (if you catch my reference)

Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Notorious ...... where in WV do you live? my commute isn't quite all the way to tysons, but the 45 miles that i travel beginning at 0500 takes just under an hour. but it's four lane highway virtually from my front door to work.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 AM

277 posts, read 373,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousSEG View Post
my real problem is that my income is going away and i have to look for a new job. add that to the fact that this place is a cultural and economic wasteland and i almost have to look elsewhere. no matter where i go, i won't be in kansas anymore. (if you catch my reference)
The way I saw it when I lived there is that I would give up culture because it was far more cheaper living in Martinsburg and working in Washington, then it was to live in Rockville or Bethesda where I lived prior. Yeah, there is not a ton of things to do and was really nothing for a Friday for me to pack an overnight bag of stuff to be in the city for the weekend.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times
Can I get a train from Martinsburg or Harpers Ferry and get to BWI? How long would it take?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
I don't know of any train connection between BWI and Harpers Ferry. Sorry.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
I believe you could take the MARC train's Bruswick Line (fairly limited service which only runs during the week) to Union Station and from there transfer to Amtrak and go to BWI. Assuming you were doing this trip Monday- Friday and all your connections were timed properly, it would take well over 3 hours- I certainly wouldn't recommend it! In addition, the Brunswick line trains follow the primary commuter flow of eastbound towards DC in the mornings and westbound away from DC in the evenings so you are further limited in that regard.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 11,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousSEG View Post
Re: Cultural wasteland comment - Exactly! I disagree with the responses that said taking the 5000 sq ft house within blocks of work is a no-brainer. Nothing can replace quality of life.

Case in point: I left the DC area and returned to my home region (large cities relatively close since federal jobs are not as easy to find outside of DC). My thought was I could live like a king because my money would go farther. Well, that is true, but I am also surrounded by rednecks and have very few friends. It is very clannish here. I've come to increasingly regret leaving DC.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 11,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I believe you could take the MARC train's Bruswick Line (fairly limited service which only runs during the week) to Union Station and from there transfer to Amtrak and go to BWI. Assuming you were doing this trip Monday- Friday and all your connections were timed properly, it would take well over 3 hours- I certainly wouldn't recommend it! In addition, the Brunswick line trains follow the primary commuter flow of eastbound towards DC in the mornings and westbound away from DC in the evenings so you are further limited in that regard.
MARC will get you to BWI too but changing lines too as you mentioned. I also agree that MARCing to BWI doesn't make sense. The drive takes you through mostly rural and fringe suburban areas, so traffic wouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedacct View Post

Case in point: I left the DC area and returned to my home region (large cities relatively close since federal jobs are not as easy to find outside of DC). My thought was I could live like a king because my money would go farther. Well, that is true, but I am also surrounded by rednecks and have very few friends. It is very clannish here.
Are you talking about Cincinnati?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia