Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 42,488 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Charles Town West Virginia, but work in DC. How long is the commute and is it a bad drive???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM

147 posts, read 690,412 times
well its 73 miles away
and guessing it will be a 1 and a half to 2 hour commute

Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,106 times
as always ... the answer is "it depends". what time in the morning are you willing to leave for work? leaving charles town at 4:30 am ... you'd probably have smooth sailing all the way into DC. traffic would probably flow at around 65 mph, and depending on the route that you choose, you might not even see a stoplight until you get into DC. i get from charles town to herndon in just under an hour at that time in the morning. traffic certainly isn't nonexistent at that time, but it moves well.

there is also the MARC train that runs past harpers ferry and goes to union station. i've never ridden into town, so can't comment on the times associated with commuting this way.

good luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
Everybody takes the train. $15 Do their work with laptop and bluetooth.
Transfers to the subway get you to your doorstep. It's a community in itself.
The hard part is getting to the Park-and-Ride. Most have Sweet Sugar do a drop off...then a pick-up at 7 pm. Half of DC lives in Berkeley...It's like the L.A./ Long Beach crowd that live in Tijuana and work in So Cal.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 98,621 times
What about Charles Town to Tysons Corner? I don't need to go all the way in to DC and I already live in WV (different part). 50 miles they tell me--what would that commute be like?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 123,285 times
Prolly still take you at least an 1 to 1 1/2 hours, You may want to consider Harpers Ferry or Martinsburg,WV or Brunswick, Gaithersburg, MD. They have MARC service, Commuter Trains that run to DC every Morning and Evening, Thats what a LOT of people do. Live in the country, Ride the train to work, I think the first MARC train leaves Brunswick, MD @ 4:45 in the morn and run every 15 inutes therafter until 7 or 7:30, they are in the process of adding more parking at Point of Rocks MARC station, Just outside Brunswick ,MD so that may be another option for you.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 98,621 times
do harpers ferry or martinsburg have trains that run into tysons corner?

eesh---this whole thing is so foreign to me...i live in a place in which I can run home for lunch if i so desire, and a 5000 square foot victrorian can be had for under $300k. oy.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 AM

11 posts, read 123,285 times
Marc trains that run from Harpers and Martinsburg will make a station stop at Rockville, MD which is 13 miles from Tysons Corner, Looks like a couple jumps from train to train and a bus ride from there. Check out the links below for more info, Hope this helps.

http://www.wmata.com/tripplanner_d/tripplanner.cfm

Maryland Transit Administration (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/marcTrainSystemMap.cfm - broken link)

Old 08-11-2007, 06:34 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
L4S,

I, for one, wouldn't give a second thought to switching from a situation where I had 5000sf within a few minutes of work, to having to commute 1~1.5 hrs each way in the suburbs/exurbs of Washington DC. It just wouldn't be conceivable to me.

Snorpus

Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 AM

277 posts, read 373,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyds4sure View Post
Thinking about moving to Charles Town West Virginia, but work in DC. How long is the commute and is it a bad drive???
You may want to consider a monthly train ticket from Martinsburg to Washington. I did this and was able to be in the Capital in about an hour. With rising gas prices and the wear and tear on your car going through the burbs and the city, you will probably be saving a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia