Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM

16 posts, read 28,854 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from New Market, MD to WV. We are looking at Charles Town (my father in law lives here), Harpers Ferry, Martinsburg, and Shepherdstown. We are open to other areas because we simply aren't that familiar with the area. We live in a lake community now where we have a pontoon boat so that kind of recreation would be ideal but from my research it looks like we would need to move much further W. into WV which I am not sure we are open to. We have 3 boys - 8, 7 and 2 so school systems are important. Also, I have heard that some areas having fairly significant drug problems (we are having a prescription drug problem here apparently) so if this is true for a particular region I would like to know that. I realize every region has its problems so I am not trying to come across as naive - just want to be sure my eyes are wide open. I am looking for guidance from anyone who has moved from MD to WV - are you happy with your choice, any regrets? And I am looking for some insight from long time residents as far as neighborhoods to look at as well as those to stay away from and anything in between.

I work from home so commute is not a problem - we might be open to homeschooling or private school if the public school is not ideal. Our motivation to leave MD is cost of living and WV would be much easier to search in than let's say NC or SC. Plus, weather will be the same which we are used to and we wouldn't be too far from family/friends in MD. We are still up in the air about what to do so any insight would be great. Oh - and we are hoping to stay under 300k if possible for a house - 250k is probably more ideal.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 04:01 PM

389 posts, read 797,536 times
Berkeley and Jefferson Counties are the fastest growing counties in West Virginia. The area is quickly becoming "exurban" (far-out suburbs) in nature with lots of new subdivisions springing up. MARC trains take commuters into DC from Martinsburg, Duffields (near Shepherdstown), and Harpers Ferry. Hagerstown, Frederick, and Winchester are the closest small cities where the majority of area residents work, play, shop, etc. Schools in that area are pretty good. Martinsburg High seems to get the bad rep for drugs, being "ghetto", etc. but I'm sure it's blown a little out of proportion. Berkeley Countians seem to really like Hedgesville schools, although the high school is a bit old (not really sure about Musselman). As far as Jefferson County goes, I don't think you could really go wrong in any of the schools. Jefferson High is a good school and Washington High is a brand-new, state-of-the-art facility. You shouldn't have a problem finding a nice, new home in your price range as long as you keep your expectations in check. "West Virginia" doesn't equate to a palace on ten acres for dirt cheap and even more so in the Eastern Panhandle due to proximity to the DC area. Personally, I would go with Jefferson County. Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, and Charles Town are all noted as some of the best small towns in the state. The area is hilly, rural, and scenic. At the same time, Harpers Ferry is about half an hour, give or take, from Frederick (which I'm guessing is important, due to your current location in Fred. Co.). Jefferson is also closer to Leesburg and Northern Virginia as a whole, and is actually a part of the Washington metropolitan area.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM

537 posts, read 959,258 times
We lived in MD for 40+ years before moving out 6 years ago to Harpers Ferry / Charles Town / Shepherdstown (we're really right in the middle of all three) to get away from traffic. I can tell you we LOVE it out here. The schools are very good, people are pretty laid-back, and there's "no" crime.

We have a 9-year-old boy, and he's never lacked for fun things to do out here. Lots of sports leagues, plenty of summer camps, decent number of parks and playgrounds, and every other neighbor has a swimming pool (YMMV!).

Now if you're looking for fine dining, a 12-plex movie theater, and the finest medical care around, then you're coming to the wrong place. Let's just say that Lady Gaga ain't comin' to Sam Michaels Park anytime soon. But like I said, we LOVE it out here, the only thing I miss from MD is all my relatives! And even they are only 45-90 minutes away, so it's all good.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:00 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,502 times
Not just fine dining... any dining worth going to... you'll have to drive to Frederick or Winchester for that.

With the foreclosures and the market the way it is, you should be able to find a perfectly nice house for 300k in Frederick County... not sure what your expectations are.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 AM

16 posts, read 28,854 times
I'm not concerned about fine dining. I know I can find housing for 300k here but the taxes are very expensive - I am trying to get away from that.

Spunkydawg, your note is very encouraging - thank you. Drs72 - very informative, thank you.

We will be leaving soon to check out some areas so I might have some questions later.

Thank you again for the help!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 104,885 times
Another area you may look at is just south of the WV counties in Frederick/Clarke/Warren counties in Virginia. The reason I mention them is that there is 2 communities that I know of (Lake Holiday and Lake Frederick) that have a decent lake that you could probably launch your boat on. I am in Clarke county and drive to Fort Detrick quite a bit, and it takes under an hour, getting through the gate takes the longest. Winchester is the largest area in this group of counties and has an excellent hospital, most chain stores, some good eateries, great cinema, etc. Schools seems to be pretty good also and I know that Clarke County High School here is rated very high in the state. My kids are too young to know what the middle and high school is like, but they seem to be getting a good education.

I also work from home most of the time and if you depend on high speed Internet, be sure you can receive it at any location you move to. There is lots of areas where you just cannot get it.

Houses prices are pretty low around the area, so you should be able to get a great deal or even build cheap. After 20% down and being here over 6 years our mortgage is underwater. That 20% was just flushed down the toilet and it will take some time to recover it.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM

13 posts, read 35,313 times
Red face Moving to WV? Up in the air....nervous/scared

My live in boyfriend just got a great job offer in Huntington, WV. I am very excited for this opportunity for him and us however I have never lived anywhere but MI my entire life and am scared/nervous/excited about moving to another state especially since I would be leaving my job/benefits and going to a state without one (yet anyway..)....he will be able to provide for me financially however I would rather he not have to or at least not for long.

I have so many questions but my main ones are:

Where are the good areas to live at and if not ready to buy, how is Waterford Village Apartments in Barboursville as temporary living?

What are the major/best companies to work for in the area?

I fear the unknown and of course that is what is keeping me up at night as we don't have much time to get everything done but decisions must be made.

Thank you for your help!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia