Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM

178 posts, read 583,650 times

Advertisements

What cities, counties, or areas have good air quality: particle matter, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides...smog etc.

And what areas are fairly clean air?

Where are the major contributors: coal burning-power plants, industrial areas, etc.

The photos pf WV are so beautiful, and look so green and healthy! It's such a shame that some areas hold so much pollution, and I know that mountainous areas can 'hold' particles longer sometimes. I checked out a few cities, and they had higher Sulfur Dioxide, but I couldn't find a generalized map or anything that charted it out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
I believe Charleston has pretty poor air quality, due to all of the industry

I'd say the best would be in the great wilderness of WV!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM

938 posts, read 2,899,390 times
Parkersburg and Huntington are always in that American Lung Association most polluted cities list.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 AM

71 posts, read 176,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I believe Charleston has pretty poor air quality, due to all of the industry

I'd say the best would be in the great wilderness of WV!

Have to agree about Charleston, 20 years ago your eyes would start burning 30 miles out coming down 77 or 79 after a weeks hunting! Can't imagine it has gotten better since.
Actually it may have been worse in the past, anyone old enough to remember when one of the plants released 'something' that killed all the trees between Kanawha City and Marmet? Sometime in the 50's. For years there were hundreds of dead trees behind the RR tracks! 61/94 paralleled the river before they built the Turnpike and moved it back.

Lived in South Charleston (on the hill behind the plant) for several (15) years, having to sweep the crud off the car every morning, and paint the house every other year was a PITA! We used to joke about needing a daily dose of chemicals. Not really a joke, there were some mornings you literally couldn't breathe, usually on weekends when I guess, EPA wasn't on the job, great time for releases!

I know, I know, 'officially' it doesn't happen, and 'maybe' it doesn't now, but it was my eyes tearing up, and my lungs hacking up phlegm for a hour on Sunday mornings. The Hardys breakfast crowd sounded like a TB ward! I haven't even had a cold in the 8 years since I moved to FL! go figgure

Shame, since otherwise it was the best town I've ever lived in.
Anywhere!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINITRUCK83 View Post
Have to agree about Charleston, 20 years ago your eyes would start burning 30 miles out coming down 77 or 79 after a weeks hunting! Can't imagine it has gotten better since.
Actually it may have been worse in the past, anyone old enough to remember when one of the plants released 'something' that killed all the trees between Kanawha City and Marmet? Sometime in the 50's. For years there were hundreds of dead trees behind the RR tracks! 61/94 paralleled the river before they built the Turnpike and moved it back.

Lived in South Charleston (on the hill behind the plant) for several (15) years, having to sweep the crud off the car every morning, and paint the house every other year was a PITA! We used to joke about needing a daily dose of chemicals. Not really a joke, there were some mornings you literally couldn't breathe, usually on weekends when I guess, EPA wasn't on the job, great time for releases!

I know, I know, 'officially' it doesn't happen, and 'maybe' it doesn't now, but it was my eyes tearing up, and my lungs hacking up phlegm for a hour on Sunday mornings. The Hardys breakfast crowd sounded like a TB ward! I haven't even had a cold in the 8 years since I moved to FL! go figgure

Shame, since otherwise it was the best town I've ever lived in.
Anywhere!
Yeah I don't think its that bad now, because the EPA has really steped in, and locals don't really notice it. I go to WVSU right near the Bayor Crop Science Plant and some of the of state students complain about the plant, but I really can't tell.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times
Most of the 'real air pollution is caused by people mowing their lawns and spewing grasses and decaying plant matter into the air.

When West Virginia was a wooded wilderness the indians and early settlers would have "Wood Burns and create new, lush undergrowth for the forest animals to eat.

We now have the Kubota, John Deere and Cub Cadet machinery to churn the grass land and create a fog of mold and decay.

It is causing a lot of respiratory work for the medical community and creating jobs in the process.

I'm sure the 'Treehuggers have pending legislation that will outlaw these mowing practices and let mother nature take over.
(They have done that in the west and mother nature takes care of the present day wood burns there...)

My mind wanders to the frequent power outages that are caused by our present narrow right of ways...now, the trees can fall and take down the powerlines at random...we have less electric service in the winter but who needs it anyway? right?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times
We actually have good air quality in Morgantown since our town is not predicated on heavy industry. The pollution that does exist is due to the fact that state government won't get off their collective @ses and build us the roads and infrastructure we need to keep up with our growing population, so we have traffic issues here.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Parkersburg and Huntington are always in that American Lung Association most polluted cities list.

The Parkersburg/Wood county area is definitely high on the list. Has been ranked high nationally in polluted air for quite some time. This is partially due to industry on the Ohio side of the river, but much is created in-state as well.

And then there's C8, also known as PFOA.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith22 View Post
Charleston is a great city to live in lots of job oppertunities however the air quality is bad really bad due to all industry and factory...
Unemployment rates by county in West Virginia:

Unemployment by County in West Virginia

For those who don't know, Charleston is in Kanawha County.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,239,405 times
I just can't understand why, with all the Marcellus Shale activity going on, the unemployment rate in Marshall-Wetzel-Tyler is amongst the highest in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia