Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is WV Southern?
Yes 91 63.64%
No 52 36.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Of course, Pittsburgh itself is not entirely northern, what with some of their dialect features like "far" for fire.
Are you ****ing kidding me?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I don't know the South that well, but I do know the West and the North enough to know that west Texas is NOT the West (except for El Paso, sadly) and that nowhere in West Virginia is the North, except maybe the little panhandle near Pittsburgh. Of course, Pittsburgh itself is not entirely northern, what with some of their dialect features like "far" for fire.

Or "Kernigie" for Carnegie.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I will agree, SE Ohio is nothing like the rest of Ohio. The rest of Ohio has major cities, high population density, and an extensive freeway network. The other poster made mention that Southern Ohio is like West Virginia?!?! How is Cincinnati and Dayton (2.2 million and 1.1 million people) like West Virginia in any way? There are a lot of people that trace their roots from Kentucky and West Virginia in the SW Ohio region. SE Ohio is the only comparable part of Ohio that could be like West Virginia. SE Ohio is like Northern WV, though. Southern WV and Eastern Kentucky are not like SE Ohio at all really. SE Ohio, N WV, and Central and Western PA are all one group of Appalachia that can say they have similar traits. I am not just talking about similar latitudes, topography, etc. Athens and Morgantown are very similar in that they are home to big universities and are purely college towns set in the hills surrounded by nothing but woods. You have the river towns of the Panhandle, SE Ohio, and Western PA. These areas are more in line culturally than Southern WV and Eastern Kentucky.

A lot of West Virginians like people from Kentucky, have moved to Pennsylvania or Ohio to find opportunity back in the day when the big cities began to grow and offer thousands of jobs. That is why you see influences from these people in cities even as far north as Akron. Today, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Cincinnati bring in a lot of young West Virginians from a job standpoint while staying close to home. Plus, you always see a lot of plates from West Virginia in these cities for shopping, airports, museums, etc.

Overall, SE Ohio is not like Eastern Kentucky, and is very similar to NORTHERN WV. It sits in the Applachian foothills, has the small town culture, but beyond that, I don't see SE Ohio being anything like Southern WV.

Northwest Ohio is all farms (sparsely populated) and has 1 freeway, not much different from SE Ohio except for the terrain. Somebody in Ohio forgot to build an Interstate freeway to connect Toledo with Columbus.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Northwest Ohio is all farms (sparsely populated) and has 1 freeway, not much different from SE Ohio except for the terrain. Somebody in Ohio forgot to build an Interstate freeway to connect Toledo with Columbus.
Toledo is a city of almost 300,000, and a metro area pushing almost 700,000. Last I checked SE Ohio didn't have a metro area even close to pushing those numbers. And yes, we have heard your rant about how there is no freeway between Columbus and Toledo, not really that big of a deal. Start worrying about Michigan's terrible infrastructure and how you can rebuild those roadways because speaking of NW Ohio, when you enter SE Michigan from NW Ohio on I-75 it's like driving on the moon.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
From Toledo you are about an hour away from Detroit, a city with a CSA of around 5 and a quarter million. I hardly consider that all farms, the area around Marietta on the other hand

Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
From Toledo you are about an hour away from Detroit, a city with a CSA of around 5 and a quarter million. I hardly consider that all farms, the area around Marietta on the other hand

Detroit is in Michigan. What is in northwest Ohio besides Toledo?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Or "Kernigie" for Carnegie.
Because that's actually how Andrew Carnegie himself pronounced it, with the emphasis on the second syllable, and that's how it continues to be pronounced in Scotland, where the name came from. Truth is, most Americans pronounce it wrong, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

I guess people in Scotland must have a Southern accent, huh? Anybody who thinks that Pittsburgh is anything but Northern needs to get the **** outta here, seriously.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thing is city influences don't stop at states borders, just look at New Jersey, NOVA, Capitol region of MD etc. I am not saying that NW Ohio is ultra urban, but has way more urban amenities close by than Southeast OH.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I guess people in Scotland must have a Southern accent, huh? Anybody who thinks that Pittsburgh is anything but Northern needs to get the **** outta here, seriously.
But we have "them thar hills", and we aren't along the I-95 corrridor so we must be Appalachian (basically codeword for southern and poor) and midwestern

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Well at least NW Ohio has Toledo and not Flint...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia