Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Morgantown is nice, but it doesn't have half of what you make it out to be, plus it is one big slummy mess of college students that aren't rich or smart enough to go to a real state school like Penn State or Rutgers. Love WVU to death, but in my honest opinion it is a terrible place for college students.
Why would you EVER say something like that??!! That's indisputably the worst thing I have ever read on City Data. As a WVU student, I take direct offense to that and, in a real life conversation, a comment like that is punch-in-the-face-worthy. First off, no I am not rich and I'm not about to apologize to anyone for it. I come from a blue collar, middle class family. My dad works a ton of overtime at the local paper mill to ensure that my sisters and I never go without or want for anything and my mom works as a secretary to make ends meet. I chose to go to WVU right out of high school and take out huge loans every year to continue my studies here. By the time I finish my undergrad, I will be approximately $100,000 in debt, all in the name of the quality education I'm receiving. I'm definitely not alone, for that matter, but I can tell you that there's certainly no shortage of 21 year olds riding around here in daddy's BMW that could have easily gone to any school in the country. Secondly, I graduated an AP Scholar with Honors and an honorable mention for Maryland Distinguished Scholar with a 3.93 GPA from my high school in the state with the best public school system in the country. Who you callin' stupid? If I had wanted to, I could have gone to the University of Maryland, one of the top public institutions in the nation, considered a public ivy among the likes of UVA and UNC. Penn State? Rutgers? Please.. Why did I choose to go to West Virginia? WVU offered me a world-class education with all the unique benefits of an Appalachian setting and culture combined with the advantages of being part of a growing, educated, cosmopolitan college town. I'm just over an hour from Pittsburgh and the same distance from home. While my friends at Maryland now know lots of people from all places between Baltimore and DC, I've met people from Massachusetts, Florida, Montana, Texas, California, France, Malaysia, Japan, etc., and from all walks of life, at that. My time here has already given me incredible insight into a world far beyond these mountains and, for that, I will be forever indebted to this school and community. Have I gone partying on the weekends? Absolutely. That's part of the college experience too, believe it or not. You're only young once. The icing on the cake is that this absolutely abhorred criticism comes from a student of West Virginia State University. Please tell me all about how the small class sizes at your pathetic little school give you the same education one would get at a division one institution with endless means at their disposal. I hear it from friends at Frostburg State all the time. To be honest, I may not always share your opinion but, until now, I have always seen you as a valuable member who tries their hardest to make informed, intellectual contributions with their posts. I don't care who you were trying to spite with that post, I cannot respect someone who would post such an abomination of an insult on a public forum. Completely uncalled for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I'll make one quick statement, then like CT did wisely get back to the thread topic about the tech park. The term sin is often abused by modern society, and I feel that most have lost the true meaning of it. This past year I've been studying alot in the bible, and trying to deside what sin really is. My Pastor put it like this, and it is a very respectful definition of the word sin. Sin is anything that robs God of his glory, and Man of his good. So in other words it anything that is either disrespectful of God and his standards, and at the same time is bad for us a individuals. Even if your not a christain, that second part can be applied. That is what I believe, and I also believe that everyone was given the gift of freewill. No one is forced to choose a certain religion, pathway, social scene, place of work ect... Its up to us as individuals to make the right choices in life.

Now back on topic because I feel that I loose too much sleep argueing over pointless crap like which city in WV has better (bellow national) stuff! Because the truth is that the whole state is way behind the rest of the country.

CT, I agree that every city in WV should have something like it. Proably should diversify the parks so that one park can attract one type of business or industry, while another can attract something else. Kind of like having specialty business parks, where as one in Beckley might deal with clean coal technology, and one in Wheeling on natural gas tech or something of that nature. Hopefully we can revamp older structures, but new construction is always a positive thing.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
I'll make one quick statement, then like CT did wisely get back to the thread topic about the tech park. The term sin is often abused by modern society, and I feel that most have lost the true meaning of it. This past year I've been studying alot in the bible, and trying to deside what sin really is. My Pastor put it like this, and it is a very respectful definition of the word sin. Sin is anything that robs God of his glory, and Man of his good. So in other words it anything that is either disrespectful of God and his standards, and at the same time is bad for us a individuals. Even if your not a christain, that second part can be applied. That is what I believe, and I also believe that everyone was given the gift of freewill. No one is forced to choose a certain religion, pathway, social scene, place of work ect... Its up to us as individuals to make the right choices in life.

Now back on topic because I feel that I loose too much sleep argueing over pointless crap like which city in WV has better (bellow national) stuff! Because the truth is that the whole state is way behind the rest of the country.

CT, I agree that every city in WV should have something like it. Proably should diversify the parks so that one park can attract one type of business or industry, while another can attract something else. Kind of like having specialty business parks, where as one in Beckley might deal with clean coal technology, and one in Wheeling on natural gas tech or something of that nature. Hopefully we can revamp older structures, but new construction is always a positive thing.
I happen to be a Christian (not that this is germaine to the discussion here), and my opinion is sin is not in using anything, but in excessive use of anything. Moderation is the key to living life in good form and healthy living.

Like drs I am very upset by your negative comments about our students. It is especially surprising to see such nonsense coming from a Water Tower U student. I mean, would you really want to start comparing school accomplishments there? I have 8 college degrees, including 3 from institutions in West Virginia. I have studied at Ohio State, Maryland, University of the State of New York, Marist College, Defense Language Institute, Indiana University and others. My education at West Virginia University is right at the top in terms of quality.

I do not fault you for going to State, but your criticism is not only unwarranted, it is pathetically inaccurate and inappropriate. That said, I am going to put that ugly statement behind me and not look back in the true spirit of Christian forgiveness. Please don't do anything that stupid again.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Why would you EVER say something like that??!! That's indisputably the worst thing I have ever read on City Data. As a WVU student, I take direct offense to that and, in a real life conversation, a comment like that is punch-in-the-face-worthy. First off, no I am not rich and I'm not about to apologize to anyone for it. I come from a blue collar, middle class family. My dad works a ton of overtime at the local paper mill to ensure that my sisters and I never go without or want for anything and my mom works as a secretary to make ends meet. I chose to go to WVU right out of high school and take out huge loans every year to continue my studies here. By the time I finish my undergrad, I will be approximately $100,000 in debt, all in the name of the quality education I'm receiving. I'm definitely not alone, for that matter, but I can tell you that there's certainly no shortage of 21 year olds riding around here in daddy's BMW that could have easily gone to any school in the country. Secondly, I graduated an AP Scholar with Honors and an honorable mention for Maryland Distinguished Scholar with a 3.93 GPA from my high school in the state with the best public school system in the country. Who you callin' stupid? If I had wanted to, I could have gone to the University of Maryland, one of the top public institutions in the nation, considered a public ivy among the likes of UVA and UNC. Penn State? Rutgers? Please.. Why did I choose to go to West Virginia? WVU offered me a world-class education with all the unique benefits of an Appalachian setting and culture combined with the advantages of being part of a growing, educated, cosmopolitan college town. I'm just over an hour from Pittsburgh and the same distance from home. While my friends at Maryland now know lots of people from all places between Baltimore and DC, I've met people from Massachusetts, Florida, Montana, Texas, California, France, Malaysia, Japan, etc., and from all walks of life, at that. My time here has already given me incredible insight into a world far beyond these mountains and, for that, I will be forever indebted to this school and community. Have I gone partying on the weekends? Absolutely. That's part of the college experience too, believe it or not. You're only young once. The icing on the cake is that this absolutely abhorred criticism comes from a student of West Virginia State University. Please tell me all about how the small class sizes at your pathetic little school give you the same education one would get at a division one institution with endless means at their disposal. I hear it from friends at Frostburg State all the time. To be honest, I may not always share your opinion but, until now, I have always seen you as a valuable member who tries their hardest to make informed, intellectual contributions with their posts. I don't care who you were trying to spite with that post, I cannot respect someone who would post such an abomination of an insult on a public forum. Completely uncalled for...

As I will always stand behind what I believe, and will always respect others for what they believe, I do owe you and the students at WVU an apology. It is easy to forget that all people have freewill, and the ones that do right often get catagorized with those who don't just because they are in the same setting (like a college or group).

So for what it is worth, because I would hate for anybody to be offended by something I said.

I am truly sorry that I offended you, and would hope that you could somehow forgive me because I misspoke.

I will say though that one sound bite, doesn't quite represent the whole statement. I do think it is unfair to take one line, and make it into something that I wasn't intending on. I was just saying that WVU is a place where students often fall into tempation, and are more likely to become binge drinkers, drug addicts, or practice inmoral sex behavior because it is considered "cool" there. I could have gone to WVU, but I am the kind of person that takes advantage of quality close to home, and having teachers that know me personally. again sorry that you feel offended, but I was in no way talking about you or your qualities and qualifications.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I happen to be a Christian (not that this is germaine to the discussion here), and my opinion is sin is not in using anything, but in excessive use of anything. Moderation is the key to living life in good form and healthy living.

Like drs I am very upset by your negative comments about our students. It is especially surprising to see such nonsense coming from a Water Tower U student. I mean, would you really want to start comparing school accomplishments there? I have 8 college degrees, including 3 from institutions in West Virginia. I have studied at Ohio State, Maryland, University of the State of New York, Marist College, Defense Language Institute, Indiana University and others. My education at West Virginia University is right at the top in terms of quality.

I do not fault you for going to State, but your criticism is not only unwarranted, it is pathetically inaccurate and inappropriate. That said, I am going to put that ugly statement behind me and not look back in the true spirit of Christian forgiveness. Please don't do anything that stupid again.
I suppose I must apologize to you aswell. It wasn't a statement that tasted good in my mouth, but one out of (sinful) anger at what has become a daily arguement on this forum. Its hard to sit here and read negative thoughts by others, and not respond in a negative fassion. I suppose that is why all men fall short of the glory of God.

so for what it is worth, Mr. Mountaineer I'm sorry for anything (here on this thread, aswell as others) that I might have said to offend you, you level of education, your religious/social beliefs, or your friends/family/dog/cat/goldfish/ect...

I appriciate your forgiveness, and trust that from here on out we can live civilized, talk abou actual important issues, and can strive to make both our respected cities and state the best it possibly can be.

Let us, which includes myself, put this trash that came from my typing fingures go into the past so that we can advance into brighter thinking.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
As I will always stand behind what I believe, and will always respect others for what they believe, I do owe you and the students at WVU an apology. It is easy to forget that all people have freewill, and the ones that do right often get catagorized with those who don't just because they are in the same setting (like a college or group).

So for what it is worth, because I would hate for anybody to be offended by something I said.

I am truly sorry that I offended you, and would hope that you could somehow forgive me because I misspoke.

I will say though that one sound bite, doesn't quite represent the whole statement. I do think it is unfair to take one line, and make it into something that I wasn't intending on. I was just saying that WVU is a place where students often fall into tempation, and are more likely to become binge drinkers, drug addicts, or practice inmoral sex behavior because it is considered "cool" there. I could have gone to WVU, but I am the kind of person that takes advantage of quality close to home, and having teachers that know me personally. again sorry that you feel offended, but I was in no way talking about you or your qualities and qualifications.
Chris, all people have free will, and all people also make mistakes. If you are one of the faultless ones, then you must be prematurely a saint. Our students do not fall into temptation any more often than do students elsewhere. Since we have a high profile institution that is on national television virtually every week, when they do make mistakes it sometimes gets more attention.

As for myself, I'd probably sin more than I do now except that I'm too old to get away with it any longer. Some of the biggest sinners I have known over the years are folks who on the surface were pius individuals but were entirely different behind closed doors (including some women) or in unfamiliar surroundings. The wildest weekend I ever had in college was at a Mennonite school in Pennsylvania, but that one didn't make the news.

Speaking for myself, your apology is certainly accepted. And, if I myself have misspoken, I'm sorry for that too.

As a side note, I wanted to say this about forgiveness (not in the religious sense). A few years ago some nut case went into an Amish school in PA and killed 8 little girls. In an absolutely incredible display of Christian forgiveness, the deeply grieving parents and family members of the deceased children reached out to the family of the killer to comfort them and offer their support. I happen to be Catholic, and the local priests talked about at length as the most amazing display of Christian forgiveness they had ever heard of. That example was often cited. So, we really aren't forgiving each other of much here. There are others who have forgiven a whole lot more.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 03-05-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris, all people have free will, and all people also make mistakes. If you are one of the faultless ones, then you must be prematurely a saint. Our students do not fall into temptation any more often than do students elsewhere. Since we have a high profile institution that is on national television virtually every week, when they do make mistakes it sometimes gets more attention.

As for myself, I'd probably sin more than I do now except that I'm too old to get away with it any longer. Some of the biggest sinners I have known over the years are folks who on the surface were pius individuals but were entirely different behind closed doors (including some women) or in unfamiliar surroundings. The wildest weekend I ever had in college was at a Mennonite school in Pennsylvania, but that one didn't make the news.

Speaking for myself, your apology is certainly accepted. And, if I myself have misspoken, I'm sorry for that too.

As a side note, I wanted to say this about forgiveness (not in the religious sense). A few years ago some nut case went into an Amish school in PA and killed 8 little girls. In an absolutely incredible display of Christian forgiveness, the deeply grieving parents and family members of the deceased children reached out to the family of the killer to comfort them and offer their support. I happen to be Catholic, and the local priests talked about at length as the most amazing display of Christian forgiveness they had ever heard of. That example was often cited. So, we really aren't forgiving each other of much here. There are others who have forgiven a whole lot more.
Forgiveness is a hard thing to do, especially this day and age. As I know in my own life I struggle to forgive, and of course struggle to make good choices. thanks for your thoughts and forgiveness, I appriciate the act.

I couldn't imagine the difficulty behind forgiving a person that killed a close one. It would take alot of faith to have the strength to do that.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:

WVU is no different from any other school its size, except perhaps for BYU. Young people like to have a good time, and the vast majority of them don't care about your religious views on the matter. I went to UT also, and it was no different.

I agree that America does have problems, but they are caused by an attitude like yours where people deny what they want and try to censor or pretend things they dont like dont exist.

We should be teaching kids sex education earlier, as abstinence only education has a track record of complete failure. Sex should not be a religious issue. You are free not to have it, or limit it as you want, but people are free to embrace it. I think it is a beautiful thing, and denying it leads to mental problems. You want to know why the middle east is such a messed up place? It is because they are sexually repressed.

We need to let people slowly learn to drink responsible at a young age by letting them drink when they are teenagers instead of telling them how terrible it is. All that leads to is them dangerously drinking as soon as they get the opportunity to do so, which is often in college. It leads to them learning some hard lessons, and alcoholism.

The drug war has been a total failure, and the government has no right to tell us what we can or cannot take. All the drug war has done is glorified drugs and made them, "cool," made America have the highest prison population in the world, gave rise to powerful street gangs and criminal organizations, made the government more authoritarian and militarized towards its citizens, and ruined millions of Americans' lives.

So you are right college for many Americans is a place to embrace sex, alcohol, and drugs. It is not WVU's fault, but our society's fault. Young people are going to be young. They can either do so in a harmless and fun way, like they do in Europe, or we could take the Middle Eastern route and turn them into fanatics.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
WVU is no different from any other school its size, except perhaps for BYU. Young people like to have a good time, and the vast majority of them don't care about your religious views on the matter. I went to UT also, and it was no different.

I agree that America does have problems, but they are caused by an attitude like yours where people deny what they want and try to censor or pretend things they dont like dont exist.

We should be teaching kids sex education earlier, as abstinence only education has a track record of complete failure. Sex should not be a religious issue. You are free not to have it, or limit it as you want, but people are free to embrace it. I think it is a beautiful thing, and denying it leads to mental problems. You want to know why the middle east is such a messed up place? It is because they are sexually repressed.

We need to let people slowly learn to drink responsible at a young age by letting them drink when they are teenagers instead of telling them how terrible it is. All that leads to is them dangerously drinking as soon as they get the opportunity to do so, which is often in college. It leads to them learning some hard lessons, and alcoholism.

The drug war has been a total failure, and the government has no right to tell us what we can or cannot take. All the drug war has done is glorified drugs and made them, "cool," made America have the highest prison population in the world, gave rise to powerful street gangs and criminal organizations, made the government more authoritarian and militarized towards its citizens, and ruined millions of Americans' lives.

So you are right college for many Americans is a place to embrace sex, alcohol, and drugs. It is not WVU's fault, but our society's fault. Young people are going to be young. They can either do so in a harmless and fun way, like they do in Europe, or we could take the Middle Eastern route and turn them into fanatics.
Kinda agree, kinda don't but 100% respect your post because it was respectful to my views and ideas, but at the same time was a firm statement of your thought on the matter. I do think that drugs have become the governments fault, and they are to blame why we have a problem now. Like you said, they made it look "cool", and now we have a terrible problem of jail overcrowding, and youth drug abuse. the government should have stayed away, and it wouldn't be as popular as it is today, in fact it might have gone out of trend.

I also agree that its definatly not WVU's fault as it is a growing trend in our society for theses issues in college. Here at state no so much because 80% of the students live off campus, but in traditional on campus settings it is. WVU has just become a place for students who want liberated from their parents so they go and rebel there. Same as any other school, but that doesn't make it right at all.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Charleston is nice, but it is isolated, boring, and feels empty.

The Clay Center is ok, but it isnt that great. Charleston needs a better local art/music/culture scene instead of the 3rd class commercialized stuff that tours small cities.

This whole better argument needs to stop. Neither Morgantown nor CHarleston are better than each other. They are different, and given someone's preferences an individual may find one better than the other.

If you want a small, quiet, consistent, cheap, a city that feels like a town and want more of a country setting Charleston is great. It would also look beautiful if it didnt have those terrible generic box looking mid rises. Charleston is also home to a big hive of scum and villainy, the state government, but that is not Charleston's fault. They would be just as corrupt and incompetent in any area of WV.

If you want a thriving, youthful, exciting, culture, and a city that is more typical of the NE but still in WV with all its beauty and friendly attitude of WV Morgantown is a great choice.

People need to start appreciating Morgantown and Charleston for their strengths.
Eh, I agree with some of your points but disagree with others.

I'll start with what I agree with: the WV politicos are corrupt as he** and would be regardless of where located. That being said, not even WVU and Marshall (among other schools) leaders have avoided scandal and corruption over the years. We can't leave that out. They are after all still state employees.

Charleston does have a small town atmosphere with close proximity to rural areas.

Charleston could improve on the nightlife and youthful front. It seems like they are working on that based upon some recent visits back home.

Morgantown does have a youthful population (it's a college town) and a better nightlife. And I would consider its downtown as slightly more 'vibrant' if you will. The people are friendly but not really any moreso than Charleston. Not at least from my experience.

Now with what I disagree with:

Charleston is hardly isolated. It is one of the only cities that has three major interstate highways running through it. Within 5 or so hours of Charleston you can be in Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Washington DC (and don't try to debate me on this, I've made this trip more times than I can count over the past 7 years), and Raleigh/Durham. You can fly easily to many others. Morgantown is closer to Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Washington DC, but the latter is the only one with a strong economy. People are leaving both the Cleveland and Pittsburgh areas in droves. Have been for 20 or 30 years.

Regarding the Charleston skyline...I'll admit there are places that are far more impressive. However for a city of 50k, it isn't bad. The view at night from Fort Hill overlooking the river and downtown is beautiful. I've brought numerous friends here in the DC area to that are from all over the country to Charleston with me and they were impressed.

Morgantown is not northeastern. Not by a long shot. Neither is Pittsburgh. They are Appalachian and Midwestern. NE vibes don't even come close to beginning until you hit I-70 in Maryland and even that is stretching it.

I do agree that people need to respect each place for what it is, but we need to at least correctly outline each of the strengths/weaknesses first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia