Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The best "Town" in West Virginia would have to be either Lewisburg or Elkins no doubt in my mind!

Gentlemen let's not make this another pointless arguement like every other thread.
Ditto, Elkins or Lewisburg, and I'd lean to Lewisburg (despite all the trains in Elkins!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Ditto, Elkins or Lewisburg, and I'd lean to Lewisburg (despite all the trains in Elkins!).
Well I could agree with that. Lewisburg has White Sulfer Springs very close, and we all know what sits there. Elkins isn't as "yuppie" as Lewisburg, but I think it is overall a better town. There are alot of important businesses and services in Elkins because it is the only large town in the whole region.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I've heard great things about both but I'm going to have to throw in my vote for Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown. Both are beautiful, historic towns. Harpers Ferry, with its civil war history, and Shepherdstown, with Shepherd University and a funky/hippy vibe to accompany it. Both are a good bit older than the vast majority of West Virginia (which makes sense considering their among the furthest east).

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...hoto-tour.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Shephe...-Virginia.html

Berkeley Springs is another cool, artsy, little town with a happening main street and some history. All worth checking out and all within 50 miles of one another!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Good point, Harpers Ferry completely slipped my mind. It is a beautiful town with such a historic feel. I could see myself settling down somewhere like Harpers Ferry someday

Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
I was born and raised in Clarksburg, and if I was to ever move back to WV, Clarksburg would probably be first on my list, and Morgantown, for it's energy and university culture would be second (or 1½th). But I love Harper's Ferry, except in July. And, I've never been to either, but from all the pictures and stories I've seen and heard, Lewisburg, and Shepardstown might be the nicest places in the state. However, when I was a baby I understand my family lived in Moorefield for a while although I didn't remember anything about it. I finally saw Moorefield and Petersburg about 15 years ago, and I said to my wife, I don't know why they ever left here. It's just beautiful.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I was born and raised in Clarksburg, and if I was to ever move back to WV, Clarksburg would probably be first on my list, and Morgantown, for it's energy and university culture would be second (or 1½th). But I love Harper's Ferry, except in July. And, I've never been to either, but from all the pictures and stories I've seen and heard, Lewisburg, and Shepardstown might be the nicest places in the state. However, when I was a baby I understand my family lived in Moorefield for a while although I didn't remember anything about it. I finally saw Moorefield and Petersburg about 15 years ago, and I said to my wife, I don't know why they ever left here. It's just beautiful.
I think Clarksburg and Morgantown are great as well. If you're referring to how hot Harpers Ferry gets in the summer, I definitely agree. The far eastern panhandle, along with downstate Maryland, DC, and neighboring Virginia, get unbelievably humid in the summer.

I've never been to Petersburg itself, but I've been through Moorefield and all over the Hardy County countryside. the Potomac Highlands are surely one of the most beautiful (and easily forgotten) parts of West Virginia. I have an enormous family in Mineral County and I grew up 30 minutes north of there in Allegany County, Maryland. I'm pretty familiar with that neighboring part of West Virginia and it is really a special place with some really good people.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I would pick first off either Wheeling or Charleston. I know Charleston gets knocked a lot but I really enjoy both the Clay Center and the Power Park. The Appalachian Power Park is one of the best places to watch baseball that I've ever been to.

Elkins is great also if that is the type of city you are looking for. (I live in none of the three)

Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
If you grew up in Wheeling, you know a Wheeling guy owns Appy Power Park (along with United Bank and the Pittsburgh Pirates among other things).

Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM

14 posts, read 46,789 times
We live in Bunker Hill, WV. It's in Berkeley county. It's about an hour away from Leesburg, VA. My husband still commutes to Tyson Corner, VA to work. It's a small town here and we love it. It's very quiet, but not too far from big city like Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD. But you do need to have a car if you live out here because there's no public transportation.

It's a nice place to raise the family. I love the school system here. There are lots of stuffs to do with children. The library in Martinsburg, WV[about 15 minutes away] offers free children activities every summer and the movie theater has kids-free movies every summer in the morning too.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
My choice was originally Wheeling, because the Civil War architecture there is outstanding, but the city government is running Wheeling into the ground (eminent domain seizing peoples' property and demolishing it, demolishing blocks of downtown and Victorian buildings for parking lots, etc.).

I haven't been to Charleston, but it looks like a gorgeous city. Morgantown is also extremely nice, but slightly small for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia