Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times

Advertisements

I am aware of the stickied WV photo thread... but this will be a rather detailed look at Elkins... and I don't want to bog down that thread. These photos were taken 2 and a half years ago (I updated the population figures). I am a Pennsylvanian who has always loved WV and enjoy exploring its towns and cities. My photography hobby is "urban documentation", examining the "sense of place". I will share several other WV towns in the near future.

Elkins (pop. 7,094) is the seat of Randolph County (29,405) and is located in north-central West Virginia about 145 miles south of Pittsburgh and 135 miles northeast of Charleston WV at the intersection of US-33, US-219 and US-250. Elkins has an urban cluster population of 11,061. The city is situated at an elevation of 2,000 feet amidst the Allegheny Mountains just outside the Monongahela National Forest.

Located along the Tygart River, Elkins was founded in 1890 by railroad tycoons who developed the Central West Virginia and Pittsburgh Railway. Elkins grew as a center of rail transportation, coal mining, timbering and manufacturing. Today, Elkins exists as an important jumping-off point for the countless outdoors recreation opportunities nearby. Liberal arts college Dave & Elkins is located here.

traveling through the mountains from Buckhannon to Elkins... golly there was some gorgeous scenery along the way

the weather turned dreary as I descended into Elkins... here's some industrial grit

tourist train through the mountains

yard sales were popular in Elkins too... though Buckhannon was surely the epicentre of West Virginia yard sale culture

urban decay

another abandoned school

some impressive buildings... founded rather late in 1890... Elkins must've grew up quick

a mansion on Davis & Elkins' campus overlooking downtown

a caged building

there appeared to be a handful of interesting restaurants downtown... but not a creature was stirring...

maybe these rail enthusiasts will patronize downtown's businesses after the ride

I stumbled across a rather interesting festival in their lovely city park

The Augusta Heritage Festival is a celebration of traditional "American" musical styles... such as bluegrass, zydeco, and folk...

I then ascended the hill to the campus of Davis & Elkins... which was founded in 1904

two hilltop mansions form part of the campus

a little treat for all of you who love dorky modernist architecture... the Eshleman Science Center (1972)

HQ of the Monongahela National Forest

I then discovered some really great residential areas

The Randolph County Courthouse was completed in 1907

I loved Elkins. It is one of my favorite spots in West Virginia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Thank You So Much!!!!!

I loved every second of that, and agree that Elkins is one of my favorite places in WV too!!!!

If you plan on doing Charleston, call me I'll help you out!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Yep, Elkins is great.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
A few updates...

The picture tagged "urban decay" was the "Old" high school. It was torn down a few years ago... Some of the bricks were sold as mementos to former alumni... (My entire family lol) I think they made extra parking or something for the football stadium. Which was greatly needed!!!! The 2nd photo of the red brick school is being remodeled and turned into apartments for Seniors.

Great pics.. made me a little homesick

Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM

66 posts, read 125,531 times
Given that the catalyst that built Elkins is long gone (the Western Maryland Railroad) the town looks remarkably good. And is becoming an East Coast destination for the arts. I have a friend from Vermont who says she drives four hours to Elkins when she gets homesick because it looks so much like her home state (which is a huge compliment given how much she talks about Vermont).

One negative I have with Elkins is that it's sad to see those big ugly windmills on the ridges to the west of town. Who thought that was a good idea???

Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustHaveCoffee View Post
Given that the catalyst that built Elkins is long gone (the Western Maryland Railroad) the town looks remarkably good. And is becoming an East Coast destination for the arts. I have a friend from Vermont who says she drives four hours to Elkins when she gets homesick because it looks so much like her home state (which is a huge compliment given how much she talks about Vermont).

One negative I have with Elkins is that it's sad to see those big ugly windmills on the ridges to the west of town. Who thought that was a good idea???
True the Western Maryland Railroad is gone... But the Durbin-Greenbrier Valley Railroad is alive and well shuffling the tourists around.

Railroading in Elkins WBOY 12

Elkins also was lucky enough to have diversified the economy after its initial boom in the early 20th century that it continues well adjusted growth and value appreciation. Is it to the level I'd like..?? No, but I'll take it! I'm glad your friend enjoys Elkins and makes her feel like she's at home

Those windmills... ehhh... I'd rather have those than coal mines in the area... I guess its a trade off. I view them as a sign of progressivism. They create energy that otherwise wouldn't be available, and they're now one of the top 5 biggest tax payers in the county... all without any CO2 generated. You can't really notice them unless you're really looking for them and staring at them and they're not visible from all areas of the town.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 AM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Very enjoyable photo tour. Pretty city with beautiful surroundings.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 AM

66 posts, read 125,531 times
That's true, windmills do look much better than strip mines!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM

352 posts, read 796,730 times
Thank you! This was so enjoyable..Elkins is a favorite of ours..we try to visit often. Your photos are just perfect.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
Beautiful pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia