Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 AM

70 posts, read 268,128 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Columbus, Ohio and am looking for weekend getaways to W. Va. Ideally, 2-4 hours from Columbus. I am looking for small town Americana, close to a lot of nature. They could be bed and breakfasts, or cabins in the woods. Anything where I can get away from the 'hustle and bustle' and enjoy nature and relax for the weekend.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlesstheUSA View Post
Hello,

I live in Columbus, Ohio and am looking for weekend getaways to W. Va. Ideally, 2-4 hours from Columbus. I am looking for small town Americana, close to a lot of nature. They could be bed and breakfasts, or cabins in the woods. Anything where I can get away from the 'hustle and bustle' and enjoy nature and relax for the weekend.

Thanks
Many state parks have cabins or cottages to rent: WV State Parks. Personally, I prefer Watoga (Pocahontas County, near Hillsboro) and Blackwater Falls (Tucker County, near Davis), but Tomlinson Run and North Bend are closer to Columbus.

Elkins (Randolph County) is a nice smallish city to spend a weekend in. Many houses and buildings from the heyday of the coal and timber industries (~1900) remain. The rail yard is being redeveloped; you can see the Branson-style musical theater show at American Mountain Theater one night and ride the Mountain Explorer Dinner Train the next. In between, you can drive or hike in part of the million acre Monongahela National Forest.

There are no shortages of things to do and see in West Virginia... I'm sure others in this forum will be chiming in with their own favorites.

Enjoy, and come back and tell us about your trip.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
I would also recommend North Bend State Park as well if coming from Columbus and you want something not too far away. Just 20 miles or so from Parkersburg/Marietta area, maybe 2 1/2 hours from Columbus to the park. It's on Route 50 going east to Clarksburg. It may not be as grand and scenic as some of our other state parks, but it's closer, and if you just want to relax and be with nature, it will fit the bill. They do have a nice restaurant, lodge, and cabins there. It's very isolated and not crowded. Our very best state parks are naturally way up in the mountains. If you want to drive further, Blackwater Falls or Canaan Valley would be my top 2 choices, about 5 hours from Columbus.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM

198 posts, read 413,536 times
We always enjoy Pipestem (another state park) in the southern end of the state and riding the tram down the side of the mountain down to the Bluestone River at the bottom. There is actually a lodge down there accessed via the tram and also a restaurant. There is also another lodge (the main one) that has an indoor pool as well as a good restaurant but plenty of outdoors to explore as well.

Not small town America but, one of our favorite places to go in the state is Stonewall Resort on Stonewall Lake. There is a wonderful lodge and a fabulous restaurant but also cottages on the lake. You can take the boat tour around the lake or rent boats and cruise around the lake yourself. Maybe not the getaway you are thinking of but just throwing it out there as a nice place to visit in WV.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
There are lots of scenic places in West Virginia. Depending on what you are looking for, I'd suggest
Chestnut Ridge County Park near Morgantown, or Oglebay Park near Wheeling.

Chestnut Ridge Park and Campground Home Page

Oglebay Resort & Conference Center Wheeling, WV | Golf | Spa | Zoo | Tours | Lodges

Both have nice cabins and so forth. Chestnut Ridge is more rustic and in nature, if you will, while Oglebay is a world class municipal park, easily the best municipal park in West Virginia and possibly in the world.

The West Virginia state parks are also all very nice.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Fayettville or Lewisburg

Fayetteville has the New River Gorge and has won several national small-town awards. It is 4 hours from columbus

The Morris Harvey House - Fayetteville, West Virginia. Fayetteville Bed and Breakfast Inns

Fayetteville WV bed and breakfast - West Virginia B&B lodging accommodations

Another option, Lewisburg, is a bit farther than you were looking at but only by about 30mins. The town is in the Greenbrier River valley and is perhaps the most historic looking town in the state.

Home

Lewisburg WV Inns | Historic General Lewis Inn | 800.628.4454

Church Street Bed & Breakfast - Lewisburg, West Virginia. Lewisburg Bed and Breakfast Inns

Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There are lots of scenic places in West Virginia. Depending on what you are looking for, I'd suggest
Chestnut Ridge County Park near Morgantown, or Oglebay Park near Wheeling.

Chestnut Ridge Park and Campground Home Page

Oglebay Resort & Conference Center Wheeling, WV | Golf | Spa | Zoo | Tours | Lodges

Both have nice cabins and so forth. Chestnut Ridge is more rustic and in nature, if you will, while Oglebay is a world class municipal park, easily the best municipal park in West Virginia and possibly in the world.

The West Virginia state parks are also all very nice.
quite a stretch there...

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
quite a stretch there...
It is a matter of opinion.

If he believes what he said how is that a stretch for him?

Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is a matter of opinion.

If he believes what he said how is that a stretch for him?
It's like me saying Charleston's public transit is on par to NYC's. It might be my opinion, but it would obviously be a very large stretch to anyone I told it to.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
It's like me saying Charleston's public transit is on par to NYC's. It might be my opinion, but it would obviously be a very large stretch to anyone I told it to.
Not really because that is criteria based. Why is Charleston's system better? You could measure routes, prices, etc. It is quantitative. You could directly compare them.

If CT finds that Oglebay, or whatever it is called, the most beautiful state park that is qualitative. If you found Charleston more beautiful than NYC that would be qualitative too. Neither of these examples are a stretch since there is no way to measure them together.

However, if you said Charleston is bigger than NYC it would be quantitative and would be proven wrong.

So, I dont see how anything CT said is a stretch. It is like saying, "Pepperoni rolls taste better than Filet Mignon." Is that a stretch? Depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia