Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times

Advertisements

That may not be the case. Much of Putnam county is rural, farmland where most people don't have a formal education beyond high school.

I reside in Putnam county and can only think of 2 or 3 gyms/fitness clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Cabell and Kanawa should follow Putnam's example. Putnam should follow Mon county.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I just read some scores for Montana and Bozeman comes in as our fittest. Bozeman is somewhat like Morgantown- college town, more affluent, access to health care, physical activity all over the place.

We were pretty surprised when we moved here from Clarksburg where we lived for 2 years and Martinsburg/Eastern Panhandle where we lived for 12-15yrs.. There are so many more physically active people (per capita) in Helena MT where we live than in any other town we lived in back in WV. It's not that it's a fervant passion here, it's just a way of life. Just the other day when the temps kinda rose into the 50's, I saw a very elderly man, (maybe in his late 80's) riding his three wheel bicycle and hoards of other people walking or cycling. The city has linked paths all over the place and dedicated cycling lanes.

There are obese folks here, no question. I think MT falls behind most other western states in the physical aspect, however there is an obvious investment in creating an environment that makes access available. I think that's the key...

I know our family has been a lot more active out here in large part due to outdoor access. Winter doesn't slow it down either- snowshoeing etc.. I know Morgantown has pretty safe and easy access too.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I just read some scores for Montana and Bozeman comes in as our fittest. Bozeman is somewhat like Morgantown- college town, more affluent, access to health care, physical activity all over the place.

We were pretty surprised when we moved here from Clarksburg where we lived for 2 years and Martinsburg/Eastern Panhandle where we lived for 12-15yrs.. There are so many more physically active people (per capita) in Helena MT where we live than in any other town we lived in back in WV. It's not that it's a fervant passion here, it's just a way of life. Just the other day when the temps kinda rose into the 50's, I saw a very elderly man, (maybe in his late 80's) riding his three wheel bicycle and hoards of other people walking or cycling. The city has linked paths all over the place and dedicated cycling lanes.

There are obese folks here, no question. I think MT falls behind most other western states in the physical aspect, however there is an obvious investment in creating an environment that makes access available. I think that's the key...

I know our family has been a lot more active out here in large part due to outdoor access. Winter doesn't slow it down either- snowshoeing etc.. I know Morgantown has pretty safe and easy access too.
They are more active out west. Much of WV has a lazy culture.
, outside of Morgantown. I'm not sure why. It gets worse as you go south with Huntington being the epicenter of not being physically active.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Mental illness can strike anywhere though... obviously

Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They are more active out west. Much of WV has a lazy culture.
, outside of Morgantown. I'm not sure why. It gets worse as you go south with Huntington being the epicenter of not being physically active.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the city park is Mount Helena- 620+ acres of trust land with hiking trails all over the place. Lot's of mountain bike trails that connect into the Ntl forest..

Last summer my 13yo son and I hiked 20 miles from Park Lake into town, stopped at the Blackfoot microbrewery and he had pop and popcorn while I had a micro brew.

It's weird- we have fantastic microbrews, steakhouses and people are thin! It's nothing to see folks ride up to a place to eat or drink in the bikes, have dinner and some brews, then bike back. Total difference in culture.

I would be great to see Morgantown or other towns get to that point. I hit the rail trail in Clarksburg a few times, and frankly I never really saw many other people there. When I lived back in the EP almost no one I knew hiked. My wife and I would often hit the C&O and Appalachian Trail, but never our friends.

I think climate has a lot to do with it too. It's so arid here it's easy to hike.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-22-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to fin the city park is Mount Helena- 620+ acres of trust land with hiking trails all over the place. Lot's of mountain bike trails that connect into the Ntl forest..

Last summer my 13yo son and I hiked 20 miles from Park Lake into town, stopped at the Blackfoot microbrewery and he had pop and popcorn while I had a micro brew.

It's weird- we have fantastic microbrews, steakhouses and people are thin! It's nothing to see folks ride up to a place to eat or drink in the bikes, have dinner and some brews, then bike back. Total difference in culture.

I would be great to see Morgantown or other towns get to that point. I hit the rail trail in Clarksburg a few times, and frankly I never really saw many other people there. When I lived back in the EP almost no one I knew hiked. My wife and I would often hit the C&O and Appalachian Trail, but never our friends.

I think climate has a lot to do with it too. It's so arid here it's easy to hike.
Hiking is common in NCWV. Strangely in other parts of the state the local WVians dont enjoy the great outdoors they have in abundance. People from other parts of the country enjoy WV, but people from Southern WV need to enjoy it more. I wonder if there has been a study on this.

I hear Montana is great. Beautiful natural landscape and a good attitude, in some parts. It seems people in your neck of the woods enjoy what they have. I imagine you would find Morgantown similar in attitude to Boozeman. However, the rest of WV is very different. People will drive 30 feet to go to a store on a nice day. WV is also not known for microbrews outside of Morgantown.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
Hiking is common in NCWV. Strangely in other parts of the state the local WVians dont enjoy the great outdoors they have in abundance. People from other parts of the country enjoy WV, but people from Southern WV need to enjoy it more. I wonder if there has been a study on this.

I hear Montana is great. Beautiful natural landscape and a good attitude, in some parts. It seems people in your neck of the woods enjoy what they have. I imagine you would find Morgantown similar in attitude to Boozeman. However, the rest of WV is very different. People will drive 30 feet to go to a store on a nice day. WV is also not known for microbrews outside of Morgantown.

People here in Deep SWV do a lot of 4-wheeling, hunting, fishing, growing, dig ginseng/dry land fish, walking, etc. There aren't any YMCA's(except for Beckley and the LJH center in Gilbert), few public basketball courts, no walking trails unless you hit the mountains or in certain towns. I think a lot of people are worrying about surviving/taking care of families that physical well being is not emphasized.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
People here in Deep SWV do a lot of 4-wheeling, hunting, fishing, growing, dig ginseng/dry land fish, walking, etc. There aren't any YMCA's(except for Beckley and the LJH center in Gilbert), few public basketball courts, no walking trails unless you hit the mountains or in certain towns. I think a lot of people are worrying about surviving/taking care of families that physical well being is not emphasized.
I might agree if you remove the walking from that list. However, none of those activities are really healthy. They should try Mountaineering their own trails, rockclimbing, etc. Do what we do up here to fish, put a knife between your teeth and dive down into the water and catch the fish yourself.

Instead of relying on a gun to hunt, or a bow and arrow, chase after your prey and club it to death with a rock.

Replace a 4-wheeler with a bicycle.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
I might agree if you remove the walking from that list. However, none of those activities are really healthy. They should try Mountaineering their own trails, rockclimbing, etc. Do what we do up here to fish, put a knife between your teeth and dive down into the water and catch the fish yourself.

Instead of relying on a gun to hunt, or a bow and arrow, chase after your prey and club it to death with a rock.

Replace a 4-wheeler with a bicycle.
So your saying I should get a knife, swim up to the fish without being detected,and stab fish because that's how it's done up there???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia