Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:07 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,380,376 times

Advertisements

This is the first I've heard of it........It would be a good thing since C.C. has IMO done a poor job of meeting all the needs for the area. If I needed medical care I'm going to Marietta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,896,215 times
There was a headline in the PKB News and Sentinel this morning but absolutely no information listed except "serious discussions" were being held.

The mayor's office knew nothing about it.

Some parts of the original building will require significant "assistance" for much use if what my doctor told me is accurate.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:19 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,497,319 times
Should the campus be purchased and fully utilized again, it would be interesting to see if the city drops the "User Fee" it put in place a number of years ago. As I recall, one of the main reasons the then Mayor and City Council instituted the fee was the loss of tax revenue from St. Joseph's closing. (I really already know the answer to this question.)

Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Should the campus be purchased and fully utilized again, it would be interesting to see if the city drops the "User Fee" it put in place a number of years ago. As I recall, one of the main reasons the then Mayor and City Council instituted the fee was the loss of tax revenue from St. Joseph's closing. (I really already know the answer to this question.)
They are behind in their bond payments for the parking garage so it's unlikely. Party because of the previous mayor trading away one of the parking lots.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,896,215 times
pknopp--you and I have different interpretations of the news reports.

From my readings the parking fund income is down due to the trading or sale of a parking lot.

The reports that I have read also state that they are current on bond payments but the auditor gigs them on an insufficient reserve fund. City council voted to contact the bondholders to see if they would waive the reserve as the bond is due to be paid off in 2017.

The new finance director also stated that paying off the bond is also a possibility to prevent the audit finding.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
pknopp--you and I have different interpretations of the news reports.

From my readings the parking fund income is down due to the trading or sale of a parking lot.
That's what I said.

Quote:
The reports that I have read also state that they are current on bond payments but the auditor gigs them on an insufficient reserve fund. City council voted to contact the bondholders to see if they would waive the reserve as the bond is due to be paid off in 2017.

The new finance director also stated that paying off the bond is also a possibility to prevent the audit finding.
An audit report shows the parking garage is in a technical default, meaning the city isn't raising enough money through parking to pay off its debt.

UPDATE: Mayor Colombo to raise parking rates and add more meters

Marietta just re-opened the Colony Theater and Parkersburg is raising parking rates. Putnam Commons is full of new businesses with the Point Park Marketplace about to lose a good bit of the few businesses there.

Parkersburg is a mess.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:42 PM

456 posts, read 609,195 times
is the Fort Boreman development dead I haven't seen anything about it and I thought it was supposed to start last year.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,434,083 times
Thought about that Friday, actually. I haven't heard a peep, though.

However, there will be two new Sheetz in town. One at 3rd and Ann and the other at 7th Ave and Blizzard. I haven't been to town in a while, so if they've already started work at these sites, then you know what I already know haha.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:12 PM

282 posts, read 486,832 times
On the Fort Boreman property, unless and until the area can attract a large new primary level employer it's hard for me to see anything in the nature of retail or housing being built up there and taking off, and that includes a baseball stadium as well. It sounds like the cracker plant idea is all but dead, and I don't know of anything else on the horizon. Amazon says they plan to hire 100,000 employees across the country, so I keep hoping they put a distribution center in the huge vacant Coldwater Creek building.

There is no excuse for this area to not have a large, full-time state college or university with dormitories and athletics, like a Fairmont State. There is no better way to attract good employers than to have a good educated workforce by placing a high priority on higher level educational institutions. Just look what it does for the other cities in the state that have good colleges.

Last edited by Route50guy; 02-12-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 AM

We do have Marietta College. Their baseball program is a quality program but for whatever reason, it's not highly attended. The college itself is growing but not really Marietta. My son was looking for a place to rent and I was surprised at how much more affordable it is to rent in Marietta than it is in Parkersburg. Even less expensive than the less desirable areas of Parkersburg.

Just rambling......we also screwed up by allowing Camden Clark buy up St Joseph and shut it down. I'm lucky I live in Williamstown and the hospital in Marietta is closer. I know few that have anything good to say about C.C. now.

Rumor has it that one of the larger employers in the area is going to do some hiring. Not enough to make a major impact but every little bit helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia