Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 11,960 times

Advertisements

And I have learned that the folks in West Virginia are not representative of the posters on this board..... at least in SE WV where I have explored 4 times....... they are way MORE friendly, the friendliest people I have ever met, anywhere without a doubt, and I've made my rounds.

Do cranky West Virginians inhabit this forum? Why all the negativity when you live in one of the most beautiful states I have ever visited? Are you attempting to dissuade people from moving there?

I just don't get it.....

Are things so bad economically that you overlook the natural beauty of what you have been blessed with?

I'd rather be a pauper in a beautiful setting, than be a rich man in a cesspool like New York City or Boston........

Where are the positive attitudes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Some of us try to be and try to sell the positive attributes of our individual areas. Together, such a mindset would make for a wonderful visitor/prospective resident guide to let each person pick and choose what suits them best.

Unfortunately, some have the mindset of their area or no area and they seem to think the positive attributes of their area aren't enough to sway people toward their own city/town so they resort to unnecessary negativity and smear tactics.

I agree with you though. It's sad really. We have such a great state but when you see 20 pages of a person degrading other areas, state schools and other posters, who would want to be a part if that? Especially if that is a first impression of the state.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 11,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Some of us try to be and try to sell the positive attributes of our individual areas. Together, such a mindset would make for a wonderful visitor/prospective resident guide to let each person pick and choose what suits them best.

Unfortunately, some have the mindset of their area or no area and they seem to think the positive attributes of their area aren't enough to sway people toward their own city/town so they resort to unnecessary negativity and smear tactics.

I agree with you though. It's sad really. We have such a great state but when you see 20 pages of a person degrading other areas, state schools and other posters, who would want to be a part if that? Especially if that is a first impression of the state.

I agree with your assesment. Some of the post here seems like what you would see on TOP IX...........I do think much of the negativity is reflective of the economics of the area.

I do want to be a postive force in SE WV where I have just purchased property.

Last edited by Gnut; 07-05-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 AM

Welcome to West Virginia! I hope you make the best of being here.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Welcome to WV! I know that where ever you are living in SE WV that you will be happy. I believe that if you ever visit any other parts of WV that you will find that most everybody are super nice and the scenery is great.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Most threads here go great as long as they in no way involve Morgantown.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Most threads here go great as long as they in no way involve Morgantown.
Or facts.

When you pull out facts posters from 2 cities not far apart start to get very upset . So yes as long as we stick to store openings, renovations nobody cares about, and discussing our favorite franchise in WV discussions go pretty well.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
No beauty left in my area. All the farms grow homes for non WV....

Old 07-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Or facts.

When you pull out facts posters from 2 cities not far apart start to get very upset . So yes as long as we stick to store openings, renovations nobody cares about, and discussing our favorite franchise in WV discussions go pretty well.
My goal is to help build up WV by helping to build up the Huntington area. If each poster would do that in kind, this would be a constructive and helpful forum. Some are on here only to build up their area and will tear down the entire rest of the state in order to do so. Rather than friendly competition to attract people to certain areas, some bring a no holds barred and at any cost attitude toward "winning" the competition.

What would it accomplish if the rest of us responded in kind with negative facts like very high levels of pollution, worst housing market statistics, biggest gap between rich and poor, couch burnings, lower median income, higher percentage of people below the poverty level, etc in EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD? Convenient facts that some seem to always leave out even though they claim to be presenting the whole story. No one would want to live any where near any area of this state if we did this.

Bottom line is, some posters have a bit more reserve and choose not to cross certain lines because we feel that our areas can stand on their own merits without having to resort to being negative toward other areas. Rather than lower our standards and respond with negativity, we choose to defend our cities. After all, we are all West Virginians and would do well to remember that.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
My goal is to help build up WV by helping to build up the Huntington area. If each poster would do that in kind, this would be a constructive and helpful forum. Some are on here only to build up their area and will tear down the entire rest of the state in order to do so. Rather than friendly competition to attract people to certain areas, some bring a no holds barred and at any cost attitude toward "winning" the competition.

What would it accomplish if the rest of us responded in kind with negative facts like very high levels of pollution, worst housing market statistics, biggest gap between rich and poor, couch burnings, lower median income, higher percentage of people below the poverty level, etc in EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD? Convenient facts that some seem to always leave out even though they claim to be presenting the whole story. No one would want to live any where near any area of this state if we did this.

Bottom line is, some posters have a bit more reserve and choose not to cross certain lines because we feel that our areas can stand on their own merits without having to resort to being negative toward other areas. Rather than lower our standards and respond with negativity, we choose to defend our cities. After all, we are all West Virginians and would do well to remember that.
You really think you are going to build the Huntington area through a forum?

Nobody is tearing down the rest of the state and there is no competition. While I would love to take credit for all the growth in Morgantown the truth is this forum deserves nil credit. As for Huntington the lack of jobs and the low quality of life is what keeps most people away not truthful facts in this forum.

People come here for information. ALL the information. Not just what you want to tell them. What some people do is is like trying to convince someone to live in an empty house they love and want someone to buy, omitting that it has termites and black mold because it would hurt their chances of selling it. Sure the seller doesnt want that information getting out, but the buyer or in the case of this forum someone seeking truthful info would want to know.

By all means if you feel couch burnings in student neighborhoods is relevant feel free to share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia