Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
I-68 currently connects to I-70 and to I-79. Are you talking about extending I-68 further west of I-79?
I-68 needs to be extended to meet up with I-470 in the Wheeling area. That would open up the entire wet gas area for development benefitting the whole state. Instead of pandering for a few minimum wage tourist jobs in the middle of nowhere, they could unlock a mega industrial potential just waiting to happen. Boss Hogg politicos in the southern part of the state have retarded our state's growth for a century out of fear that they would lose their ability to maintain their ripoff political fifedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I-68 needs to be extended to meet up with I-470 in the Wheeling area. That would open up the entire wet gas area for development benefitting the whole state. Instead of pandering for a few minimum wage tourist jobs in the middle of nowhere, they could unlock a mega industrial potential just waiting to happen. Boss Hogg politicos in the southern part of the state have retarded our state's growth for a century out of fear that they would lose their ability to maintain their ripoff political fifedoms.
You are right. They don't care about the state but rather maintaining their corrupt systrem. WV could be a wealthy state but it is held back by the state.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:51 PM

If they put mechanisms in place, as did Texas, that insured the areas producing the energy got to keep most of the proceeds and the state put their share of money into trust funds for 10 years, not touching one penny of it, then our state would be in spades in terms of money for necessary projects. The Boss Hogg types won't put off immediate gratification, and insist on their pork right away keeping us fighting it out with Mississippi for last place and usually winning. To them, it is more important to build roads to nowhere to maintain their political constituencies than it is to insure future solvency.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If they put mechanisms in place, as did Texas, that insured the areas producing the energy got to keep most of the proceeds and the state put their share of money into trust funds for 10 years, not touching one penny of it, then our state would be in spades in terms of money for necessary projects. The Boss Hogg types won't put off immediate gratification, and insist on their pork right away keeping us fighting it out with Mississippi for last place and usually winning. To them, it is more important to build roads to nowhere to maintain their political constituencies than it is to insure future solvency.
Roads arent the most wasteful things. They mostly ensure the money goes to private interest out of state, and often out of country. Next they take care of themselves.

But yes the majority of funding for a county should be based on what they pay and their economies.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Roads arent the most wasteful things. They mostly ensure the money goes to private interest out of state, and often out of country. Next they take care of themselves.

But yes the majority of funding for a county should be based on what they pay and their economies.
Texas uses their energy trust fund to have an outstanding road system, and a well financed, first rate higher education system.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Texas uses their energy trust fund to have an outstanding road system, and a well financed, first rate higher education system.
I used to live in Texas and the roads are great. The higher education is good but from elementary to High schools it really depends on the area.

Northern WV could be a successful as Texas, and it would help the whole state but this economic boom would hurt the people in power so they try to stop it.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
Easily recoverable coal and wet gas resources will give the Northern Panhandle's Marshall County unprecedented wealth, making it West Virginia's richest county.

Marshall To Be Richest County - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register
Good luck to Marshall County on surpassing the DC area jobs/wages attained by an increasing percentage of Jefferson County residents. Highly, highly unlikely--by any measure. Marshall County would need to see an increase of $10,000 in per capita income, as it stands, or a nearly $30,000 increase in median household income to assume the position of WV's wealthiest county. It seems Senator Kessler (whom I think favorably of, for what it's worth) is just pandering to constituents in the economically depressed northern panhandle to keep his name in good standing. It's just not going to happen anytime soon, especially with the continued population decline they've seen up there.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Good luck to Marshall County on surpassing the DC area jobs/wages attained by an increasing percentage of Jefferson County residents. Highly, highly unlikely--by any measure. Marshall County would need to see an increase of $10,000 in per capita income, as it stands, or a nearly $30,000 increase in median household income to assume the position of WV's wealthiest county. It seems Senator Kessler (whom I think favorably of, for what it's worth) is just pandering to constituents in the economically depressed northern panhandle to keep his name in good standing. It's just not going to happen anytime soon, especially with the continued population decline they've seen up there.
I don't think he is talking about incomes per se. I believe it is clear the enormous quantities of wet gas located in Marshall and Belmont (OH) counties will lead to major industrial investments once they get a cracker in place in that region. Population seems to be stabilizing, and there are thousands of people there not counted in the statistics who are working the gas fields in the region.

My daughter and son in law live in Berkeley. While it is true that a lot of folks there have high Federal salaries, a lot of that does not translate into overall economic prosperity for many folks or for the local governments. The direct income from the gas developments doesn't get around too much either, but if industry comes from it the infrastructure in place will lead to amazing resources for local governments to utilize. It is already doing so. There was more than $1 billion invested in gas processing facilities in the past couple years in Marshall.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Let's not confuse high incomes with wealth.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I think that Wheeling freeway connection should come after the Coalfields Expressway. Both of these should come before the next subway line for some major East Coast or California city. But that will at least have to wait until Obama leaves the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia