Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I have to disagree CT. They, the politicians, would only see the increased $$$. The issue is they would try to take it for themselves while ignoring the new part of the state. If people in MD have gripes with their state government, and they do, they are in for a shock when they meet the WV state government which is more similiar to a corrupt 3rd world banana republic than a US state government.
The population shifts are already shaking up the political order in West Virginia. They still have more political power south of Sutton, but the balance is much closer than in previous decades due to losses in the south and gains in North Central and the Eastern Panhandle. It will inevitably shift anyway, but taking on western Maryland would tip the scales instantly toward political sanity. That is the last thing the Boss Hogg minions want. They depend on controlling those key committee appointments to keep their stupid pork rolling in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
While I can't speak for all of the infrastructure in Western Maryland I can say that on my last trip on I-68 that the portion inside the WV border was in better shape than Maryland's.

I'm sure the political leaders in Maryland would put a stop to this idea if it gained any serious traction.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Western MD has significant Marcellus deposits, and while the state's wacko faction is currently inhibiting development of it, sooner or later it will be a cash cow for the state. They aren't about to let that slip away.

In general, MD has excellent roads. It is a mistake to think the condition of Interstate highways, which have maintenance 90% paid for by the Federal government, would be reflective of a valid comparison.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
While I can't speak for all of the infrastructure in Western Maryland I can say that on my last trip on I-68 that the portion inside the WV border was in better shape than Maryland's.

I'm sure the political leaders in Maryland would put a stop to this idea if it gained any serious traction.
Western MD is in much better safe then the same area around WV. It is much wealthier too.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Maryland counties join movement to secede from largely Democrat-run state | Fox News

Because Maryland is a state wholely dominated politically by 3 liberal urban jurisdictions (Baltimore City, Montgomery County, and PG County) and the rest of the state is voiceless (things like the illegal alien Dream Act, the gun control laws, the death penalty repeal, gay marriage, and liberal economic laws and mass tax increases etc etc) rural residents have long wanted to secede. First the Eastern Shore, and now Western Maryland, the part of the state that borders the Morgantown area, the Eastern Panhandle, and the Potomac Highlands.

Some have wanted their own state while others have said joining West Virginia would be nice. At the very least it would mean less restrictions on development, the ability to exploit the natural gas and coal reserves, and lower taxes, and being in a state that is morally similar to them in terms of abortion, gay marriage, etc. And Western Marylanders would no longer have to pay taxes to subsidize mass transit in the urban areas. Most of Western Maryland is rural, conservative much like West Virginia.

Now would West Virginia be better off if Western Maryland joined it? I think WV would gain more natural gas and coal reserves, plus a tax base in small suburban cities like Cumberland and Hagerstown plus more fertile agricultural lands. West Virginia would probably gain representation in Congress while Maryland would lose some. This would give the coal industry and the natural gas industry more clout nationally to protect our livelihoods here and increase the chance of Obamacare being defunded as the vast majority of West Virginians wish.
Don't make assumptions that ALL WVians are backwards politically. Many of us support the DREAM act, gun control, our proud our state has no death penalty (WE DON'T PLAY GOD), like the idea of more healthcare and less war, and especially support gay marriage. I'd welcome Garrett, Alleghany, and Washington counties to our great state though anytime.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
What Gotta Herd On said.

GHO did you see our Greenbrier Co candidate for House of Delegates?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
If WV did get the privilege of adding western Maryland, then look at the awesome inclusions to our state that would come along with the marvelous people of that region.

Hagerstown area: Similar to Martinsburg, and has a regional airport. Also has over 100,000 urban area. There is good shopping there, including outlets. Most certainly would make the Martinsburg/Hagerstown area a more attractive small metro.

Clumberland area: Very unique city that features a lot of historical sites and attractions. would be cool to see I-99 completed down to 68, but I realize that isn't a need. Has another good town near by (Frostburg) with a good college.

Other Notable things that would be a bonus: C&O Canal and historic tow path trail, Wisp Ski resort, Deep Creek Lake, Historic Hancock, etc...

It would be awesome to inherit these assets.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
If WV did get the privilege of adding western Maryland, then look at the awesome inclusions to our state that would come along with the marvelous people of that region.

Hagerstown area: Similar to Martinsburg, and has a regional airport. Also has over 100,000 urban area. There is good shopping there, including outlets. Most certainly would make the Martinsburg/Hagerstown area a more attractive small metro.

Clumberland area: Very unique city that features a lot of historical sites and attractions. would be cool to see I-99 completed down to 68, but I realize that isn't a need. Has another good town near by (Frostburg) with a good college.

Other Notable things that would be a bonus: C&O Canal and historic tow path trail, Wisp Ski resort, Deep Creek Lake, Historic Hancock, etc...

It would be awesome to inherit these assets.
Shepherd University would also benefit. It is the closest university to Hagerstown and would certainly boost enrollment seeing as Shepherd would then be a state school for them.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Shepherd University would also benefit. It is the closest university to Hagerstown and would certainly boost enrollment seeing as Shepherd would then be a state school for them.
You are absolutely correct. In fact, WVU would probably see a small boost just because WVU is probably be cheaper (for in-state students) than Maryland for their in state students.

I do have to say our state would be hideous if we added that to the outline.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM

537 posts, read 958,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Don't make assumptions that ALL WVians are backwards politically. Many of us support the DREAM act, gun control, our proud our state has no death penalty (WE DON'T PLAY GOD), like the idea of more healthcare and less war, and especially support gay marriage. I'd welcome Garrett, Alleghany, and Washington counties to our great state though anytime.
I "must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GottaHerdOn again".

So instead I'll just say AMEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia