Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times

Advertisements

CT, I don't think you realize how much Christianity/religion has the imprimatur of government/law/force behind it. Were it not for religious folks, would not gay marriage have been made legal long ago? What about prayer in taxpayer-paid schools, hasn't that been inappropriate since day 1? Our legal tender says "in God we trust" on it, even though I don't. School kids also recite the Pledge of Allegiance, "one nation indivisible, under God..." -- huh? Our presidents, at the end of their speeches, always make some reference thanking God for making us the greatest country. Donations to one's own church is tax-deductible -- again, huh? Why would the government give a tax break for supporting one's religion? And on and on it goes. How is this any less "social engineering" than the cases you cite?

And I don't seek to demean Christians, merely point out that there's been plenty of bad to accompany all that good. I personally admire and strive to emulate much of what Jesus had to say (without me thinking that he was a deity). I do believe that love, charity, and respect are inherent parts of human nature, and can be taught and encouraged without any references to any kind of religious beliefs.

Anyway, we've kind of strayed from the original topic a bit, so I don't think I should post anymore about religion, I'm sure there are better forums for that. My main point I guess is that "social engineering" is in the eye of the beholder. It's kind of like the term "brainwashing" -- people say that when it's ideas they don't believe in, but when it's something they believe in, they just call it "teaching".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
CT, I don't think you realize how much Christianity/religion has the imprimatur of government/law/force behind it. Were it not for religious folks, would not gay marriage have been made legal long ago? What about prayer in taxpayer-paid schools, hasn't that been inappropriate since day 1? Our legal tender says "in God we trust" on it, even though I don't. School kids also recite the Pledge of Allegiance, "one nation indivisible, under God..." -- huh? Our presidents, at the end of their speeches, always make some reference thanking God for making us the greatest country. Donations to one's own church is tax-deductible -- again, huh? Why would the government give a tax break for supporting one's religion? And on and on it goes. How is this any less "social engineering" than the cases you cite?

And I don't seek to demean Christians, merely point out that there's been plenty of bad to accompany all that good. I personally admire and strive to emulate much of what Jesus had to say (without me thinking that he was a deity). I do believe that love, charity, and respect are inherent parts of human nature, and can be taught and encouraged without any references to any kind of religious beliefs.

Anyway, we've kind of strayed from the original topic a bit, so I don't think I should post anymore about religion, I'm sure there are better forums for that. My main point I guess is that "social engineering" is in the eye of the beholder. It's kind of like the term "brainwashing" -- people say that when it's ideas they don't believe in, but when it's something they believe in, they just call it "teaching".
Your notion that love, charity, and respect for others can somehow be socially engineered (or taught as you put it) is not reinforced by societies that have attempted to do so without religion. Our country was founded by people who espoused those traits due to their fundamental Christian beliefs. You can say that the religious do not support gay unions, and that is true in large part, but your side is winning that battle in the courts so that is largely a non issue. I do know that if gays were simply to change their stance on the language involved they would save everyone, including themselves, a lot of hassle. You are not going to be able to force others to support your notion of what constitutes marriage against their will, and will only antagonize them if you attempt to do so. Virtually everyone agrees that what goes on behind closed doors between consenting adults is their own business.

I happen to agree with you about tax deductible status for any organization. They need to do away with it for everything, and institute a flat tax with everyone paying the same percentage no matter how much they make. Non profits are often little more than tax dodges for the very rich, who put their friends and relatives to work in them for inflated salaries often with no real benefit to our citizens as a whole. Christianity can do just fine without tax exempt status. People can believe as they wish, and support those beliefs as they wish too. There is no need to push the cost onto others. And the notion that low income folks should pay no taxes is wrong too. They use the same public services as do everyone else. A flat tax would guarantee that those making more would pay more, but everyone would pay something.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
If the West Virginians in the Eastern Panhandle are not happy with how Charleston ignores their needs, why not join with the secession movement in Western MD and go for a new state altogether?

Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
So how much more is the cost of living in MD right over the border from WV? Are property taxes in western MD really any higher than WV?
Many people I know in Cumberland cross over to West Virginia every week for alcohol and cigarettes as these things are taxed less in WV. Also know some folks who still work in Cumberland but have moved to Ridgeley their only complaint is the personal property tax on cars. Maryland now also passed the wind farm tax which will raise every Maryland resident's electric bills to finance the construction of an offshore wind farm so the governor can set an "example" to China, Russia, and India so they will go for "clean energy". Maryland's gas tax was just raised and will continue to go up in increments forever basically the way the law was done. West Virginia's gas tax is too high but at least it is not going up and we will not allow it go to up. It does suck that they want to increase Turnpike tolls without giving WV residents an exemption.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 656 times
I am a citizen of Western Maryland in Cumberland. We have long lamented the lack of representation in Annapolis as it is stated the vast majority of citizenry is located in the very liberal metro area of Baltimore/Washington. Those counties will always vote Democrat and go along with the ultra liberal party lines. We in the western part of the state share the conservative values most of West Virginia hold dear. I have voiced my opinion on the subject and likewise have signed a petition that the local republican guild was circulating. However, I do not believe the state government will relinquish its hold on the western counties. It is upon the people who live here to decided whether or not moving to another state is a viable option.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCole616 View Post
I am a citizen of Western Maryland in Cumberland. We have long lamented the lack of representation in Annapolis as it is stated the vast majority of citizenry is located in the very liberal metro area of Baltimore/Washington. Those counties will always vote Democrat and go along with the ultra liberal party lines. We in the western part of the state share the conservative values most of West Virginia hold dear. I have voiced my opinion on the subject and likewise have signed a petition that the local republican guild was circulating. However, I do not believe the state government will relinquish its hold on the western counties. It is upon the people who live here to decided whether or not moving to another state is a viable option.
Frankly, in terms of what would be best for the areas, it would be best for western MD and West Virginia from Sutton north to join PA, shedding the albatross that has always held us down here, but none of that will happen because the other areas would choke on the vine were it not for somebody else to rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia