Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,782,784 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I want to hoover my tush over that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,906,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
How many have died so far, and what does coal have to do with it ?

Do you even live there ?

I realize you make this comment out of ignorance and not being a shill, but the chemical and company is related to coal.

Freedom makes speciality chemicals for coal and mining.

This is ALL related to coal.

It can kill people. It leads to vomiting, and can cause cancer.

I realize you defend the dumping of this chemical out of brainwashing but today was a turning point. Today people learned why we need regulation and clean energy. A job doesnt mean much when it causes widespread bad health effects.

You will look back on this as the death of the race to the bottom deregulation types who want to turn this country in China. Today you lost, and because of your support for these industries many innocents in Southern WV will suffer. By all means go take a shower in Charleston if you feel it is safe. Put your money where your mouth is. You won't.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM

319 posts, read 606,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
At one time the Charleston and the Kanawha valley was a very prosperous
place to live with many chemical plants, which employed many people.

Today 2/3rds of them have left because all of the complaints of people
and the ones still there are not producing much.

Now the valley is almost dead with very little industry
and most workers have left the state.

I can reasonably assure you that they didn't leave based on complaints.

Everything is made in China now. Especially chemicals, since they tend to simply put waste in the rivers, note some of the order quantity requirements below (minimums of a metric ton or so)

Organic Intermediates, Organic Intermediates Products, Organic Intermediates Manufacturers, Organic Intermediates Suppliers and Exporters Directory

Place of origin : CN almost every time.

Wait, you have an EPA, that's anti-business, we're moving operations to China! It's a workers paradise!

On a side note, good luck to all of you, and hope that this gets cleaned up in a timely and responsible manner.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,508,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I realize you make this comment out of ignorance and not being a shill, but the chemical and company is related to coal.

Freedom makes speciality chemicals for coal and mining.

This is ALL related to coal.

It can kill people. It leads to vomiting, and can cause cancer.

I realize you defend the dumping of this chemical out of brainwashing but today was a turning point. Today people learned why we need regulation and clean energy. A job doesnt mean much when it causes widespread bad health effects.

You will look back on this as the death of the race to the bottom deregulation types who want to turn this country in China. Today you lost, and because of your support for these industries many innocents in Southern WV will suffer. By all means go take a shower in Charleston if you feel it is safe. Put your money where your mouth is. You won't.

I did not say I was for dumping ! ! !

Most any chemical will kill you ...
and I know more about them, than you will ever know.

For your incorrect info ... I am 65 and I was born and grew up in the Kanawha valley
and worked in about 6 different chemical plants there over the years.

FMC, Dupont, Two different Carbides Plants, Monsanto, Fick Chemical
Bayer Aspirin, and some others.

Yes I know about the hazard spills, and have been involved in some, and cleaned up some.

If it weren't for Chemical Plants you would be with out lights, plastics, cars, etc.
and most of the things you own and wear.

The Kanawha River was so dirty that it only had carp and catfish, that you could not eat,
now it is cleaned up, and has all kinds of fish, and now they have fishing tournaments.

All plants have leakes always have and always will.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,100,083 times
Today my neighbor had a friend from Kanawha out in front loading his pickup truck up with water my friend had bought for him here in Morgantown. Apparently, and stores down there are out so he got water here, 2 1/2 hours away. Dustin went out and bought it for him to save him time, but it was basically a pickup truck full, so I'm guessing he was getting it for more than one family.

I would imagine the National Guard is involved too with water buffalos and the like.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 PM

515 posts, read 781,002 times
I live in the affected area. Before WVAW, I had a well and a water softener that took care of the iron and minerals in the water. We didn't drink the water then but we used it for everything else. When I ran my new lines for the "city water" I left my old system in tact and it's a good thing that I did. This morning, I disconnected from WVAW and reconnected to my well. Everything's up and running and now it's just wait and see. Most people in the affected area don't have that option. This should be a real eye opener for anyone who gets their water from a public water system. What safeguards are in place to keep our enemies from pouring toxic chemicals into our water inlets? How many would die before it could be detected? This spill went undetected for hours before it was reported. Like I sad before, Lawyers have hit the jackpot on this one. I just hope that the people who came in contact and may have ingested this poison, get through it with no long term health problems. There are still lots of unanswered questions and I'm guessing that we'll never get all the answers.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,172,087 times
I think it is a stretch to say that the "coal industry" is at fault. The coal industry didn't physically cause this leak. It would be like saying the car industry is at fault when a gasoline storage tank has a leak at a gas station.

This incident is most likely a result of the bitter cold temperatures on an older storage tank. My guess is those storage tanks haven't had the best maintenance over the years or they are functionally obsolete. Or a valve or gasket failed due to contraction and expansion with the temperatures. We will know once the investigation is complete.

I also don't believe this is a turning point for industry in WV. Yes, we will see an upgrade to the detection processes required by the State and more regulation will be introduced but the chemical companies and the related businesses will continue to operate here in the State because the tax revenue they generate is needed. The State is projecting a budget shortfall and at this time there is no industry or industries that can replace the existing tax base overnight. That type of transition takes years to develop and implement. Should WV make moves for a more diversified economy? Absolutely. That takes time and until you achieve that you can't simply turn your back on the existing industries. That is a foolish way to run an economy.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM

There are other water plants in the kanawha valley, and other areas which are clean,
that people can get water from.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,172,087 times
CT, the National Guard and FEMA are bringing in water and Anheuser Busch is bringing water too. There are stores that are out of water, some have limited supplies. Shipments have been arriving throughout the day and will continue to do so. Its a matter of delivery schedules and logistics right now. Also, some tankers have brought in with water with more scheduled.

To compound the issues, some communities and towns not affected by this leak are having issues with broken water lines resulting from the cold temperatures earlier this week. Bad timing indeed.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I think it is a stretch to say that the "coal industry" is at fault. The coal industry didn't physically cause this leak. It would be like saying the car industry is at fault when a gasoline storage tank has a leak at a gas station.

This incident is most likely a result of the bitter cold temperatures on an older storage tank. My guess is those storage tanks haven't had the best maintenance over the years or they are functionally obsolete. Or a valve or gasket failed due to contraction and expansion with the temperatures. We will know once the investigation is complete.

I also don't believe this is a turning point for industry in WV. Yes, we will see an upgrade to the detection processes required by the State and more regulation will be introduced but the chemical companies and the related businesses will continue to operate here in the State because the tax revenue they generate is needed. The State is projecting a budget shortfall and at this time there is no industry or industries that can replace the existing tax base overnight. That type of transition takes years to develop and implement. Should WV make moves for a more diversified economy? Absolutely. That takes time and until you achieve that you can't simply turn your back on the existing industries. That is a foolish way to run an economy.
More than 2/3rds of the chemical plants in WV have alread shut down,
and went somewhere else already.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia