Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM

46 posts, read 67,874 times

Advertisements

Yup, here's another thread that's spinning out of control. I hope they get it cleaned up soon so the folks down there can resume a normal life. It's easy to take things for granted until something like this comes along.
I drive a truck part time and deliver drinking water in the Charleston area and it was very busy down there yesterday to say the least.
Now is not the time to point fingers. Get the issue resolved promptly and then make sure it doesn't happen again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,727,874 times
Well, the current concentration is below 3 ppm, and possibly near 1 ppm. Below 1 ppm is considered safe for humans. When tested on lab rats, it took 57 ppm to be lethal to half the rats. While this does not make I t a good thing, the facts indicate that this chemical is not a huge threat to humans.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,161,139 times
An update regarding bottled water. I just got back from traveling through the Milton to Barboursville areas of WV. Many stores have bottled water in stock this morning. I bought water at 3 different places, Walgreens, Kroger's and Target. Kroger's had the most in stock at the times I went through the area.

I was able to buy enough water for my house to have for several days and bought some cases for friends in need and even a handful of cases to donate to relief efforts. We also donated some food to the first responders on duty in Culloden, they are volunteers and have been on duty for over 24 hours, and they had lots of water on hand to give to those in need.

As I mentioned before, water will continue to be delivered to the areas around Charleston and over to the Huntington Tri-State area. It's just a matter of scheduling and logistics. This isn't a time for people to panic and act stupid and buy up all the water they can find just for their house. This is a time to help your fellow man because its the right and humane thing to do. Just act civilized people.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,891,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
pfft! I looked for negative rep option for you before I posted, btw. Didn't find one, so I wrote a post because I don't suffer fools well. My family hasn't had anything to do with coal since my grandfather was forced to take a mechanic job at a coal mine during the 1930s. He got out of it when WWII started.

Just how will your getting on an Internet forum and ranting and raving total nonsense help clean up WV's H2O any faster, fool? It won't. So people are just going to have to buck up and ride it out and do whatever they have to do and spend whatever they have to spend, because there is no other option. If authorities can't get it cleaned up soon enough, then people will be either forced to continue camping out at home or go stay at hotels, friends', or relatives'. Having a tirade over it wastes energy, annoys readers, and solves nothing.

I am formerly from the chemical industry in the Kanawha Valley. And this Freedom Industries is not on any par with DuPont or Dow, so don't even start with me about the chemical industry, because I won't give a dam and I will respect you even less. Freedom was deliberately negligent, did many things wrong, and will most likely face criminal charges. A good bit of information here in Kent Carper's about why this leak happened :
Kanawha Commission President Carper: Chemical leak questions rem - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

IF they had only leaked 3000 gallons on Thursday and promptly stopped it on Thursday, the water lines could be well on the way to being flushed out. But, Freedom says "less than 35000 gallons," and apparently it's still leaking into the water. Reports today say the levels have dropped. Apparently Freedom Industries is less than honest.

So, this has NOTHING to do with coal. It's a criminally negligent chemical distributor who knew they had a faulty tank and containment system but deliberately used it anyway.

"Toxic and lethal" to people won't happen, so long as people obey and don't drink it. Yes, I have considered the impact on people who use that water for livestock; they have real problems. The fish in the Kanawha have been considered unsafe to eat for decades so I won't worry about them. The closed business are losing revenue. The hospitals' costs rise. Patients may have to be transported elsewhere. Almost everyone else is only inconvenienced, so far. Water intakes farther downstream on the Kanawha and Ohio will not see the concentrations in the water that Kanawha Valley did. If it rains a lot, even more dilution will occur.

Sorry, but I have very extensive training in how to not have a screaming fit or an incoherent rant when an emergency situation or accident is occurring. ;-) One must stay sensible and work on solving the problems and preventing further damage.
tl;dr (too long didnt read)

Like I said if you want drink some water from there. I dont care about any of your inane rants in this forum and I am not wasting my time with you. Sorry.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,891,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Uses for coal will not go away in our life time.
Coal will continue to decline and you know that. It is dying a slow painful and death.

Deal with it.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM

543 posts, read 1,147,494 times
No matter what the cause, the fact is that clean water is becoming scarcer. I was listening to NPR and an interview about the chemical spill in Virginia's water supply. The fellow they talked to said that he was amazed at how important water was. He'd never thought about it and just took it for granted. He was upset because he couldn't shower, make coffee or use tap water.

Keeping several days of clean water (and food?) stored at your home is just common sense. You never know what may affect your water or food supply... You figure about 1 gallon of water per person per day, and about 1,500 - 2,000 calories per adult person. Yes, you could get by on less, but that gives you a rough idea of what you need.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
No matter what the cause, the fact is that clean water is becoming scarcer. I was listening to NPR and an interview about the chemical spill in Virginia's water supply. The fellow they talked to said that he was amazed at how important water was. He'd never thought about it and just took it for granted. He was upset because he couldn't shower, make coffee or use tap water.

Keeping several days of clean water (and food?) stored at your home is just common sense. You never know what may affect your water or food supply... You figure about 1 gallon of water per person per day, and about 1,500 - 2,000 calories per adult person. Yes, you could get by on less, but that gives you a rough idea of what you need.
If we're talking about the same spill, it did not happen in Virginia. West Virginia has been a separate state for 150 years. That's as bad as referring to Maine as Northern Massachusetts.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
There are other water plants in the kanawha valley, and other areas which are clean,
that people can get water from.

While there are other water treatment plants, you can't simply decide to change water companies. Sure, people can get water in jugs so they have drinking water, water for brushing teeth, and keeping pets healthy. Now, how do I get that clean water company to come pipe up to my shower?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:10 PM

532 posts, read 1,092,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey92 View Post
I saw this on Good morning america and all i could think is why would there be a chemical plant allowed to be upstream from the biggest water supply in the east coast?
West Virginians don't want any job killing EPA regulations.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:19 PM

532 posts, read 1,092,590 times
http://rt.com/usa/hazardous-toxic-waste-law-445/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia