Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,069,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I did not say I was for dumping ! ! !

Most any chemical will kill you ...
and I know more about them, than you will ever know.

For your incorrect info ... I am 65 and I was born and grew up in the Kanawha valley
and worked in about 6 different chemical plants there over the years.

FMC, Dupont, Two different Carbides Plants, Monsanto, Fick Chemical
Bayer Aspirin, and some others.

Yes I know about the hazard spills, and have been involved in some, and cleaned up some.

If it weren't for Chemical Plants you would be with out lights, plastics, cars, etc.
and most of the things you own and wear.

The Kanawha River was so dirty that it only had carp and catfish, that you could not eat,
now it is cleaned up, and has all kinds of fish, and now they have fishing tournaments.

All plants have leakes always have and always will.

I believe this is correct, but I don't think it is possible to rule out neglect in this instance. I would guess it will all come out in time.

In my opinion, the biggest negative about chemicals in Kanawha is some of the plants are located right in the midst of populated areas as opposed to the Marshall county plants that were carefully located away from them. There has to be a careful balance between regulation and practicality. The ultra rich, in their Brooklyn offices, have used their enormous political and economic clout to push through an "open borders" agenda. They use the words "open" and "fair" a lot when they are talking to liberals. They call the same thing "free" when they are talking to conservatives... "free trade", and "free" competition. If it is cheaper for them to make something in Timbuktu than it is in Charleston, they will not hesitate to move production. Regulation adds to the cost of production. There are places in the world that have little regulation on business, and that adds to their attractiveness for the super rich elitists.

It isn't simply an economic debate they are taking part in either. It is a carefully orchestrated effort that targets all parts of our society. The feel good folks are constantly bombarded with propaganda that actually succeeds in making them think it is okay to sacrifice their prosperity or that of their friends and family to save the arctic teat mouse. Their children are fed that stuff from the moment they step foot on a college campus, and it is constantly played up in the media which they control. People who are totally insulated from the consequences of their antics (professors, politicians, and the like) constantly attack the sources of jobs on which they themselves do not depend.

Make no mistake though. If it suddenly becomes more profitable to make the stuff in Kanawha, the tactics will switch immediately to how much damage open border policies does to minority groups or some similar tactic to sway opinion in the other direction. Many have been dupped into believing it is better to move industry, or to punish the use of coal. In my mind, that is based on faulty science as the most recent week points out all too clearly, but even if it were to be correct, their position does a lot more harm than good because the resulting movement of production results in items being made in places that have absolutely no regulations, and the arctic teat mouse is under a much bigger threat than before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,890,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I did not say I was for dumping ! ! !

Most any chemical will kill you ...
and I know more about them, than you will ever know.

For your incorrect info ... I am 65 and I was born and grew up in the Kanawha valley
and worked in about 6 different chemical plants there over the years.

FMC, Dupont, Two different Carbides Plants, Monsanto, Fick Chemical
Bayer Aspirin, and some others.

Yes I know about the hazard spills, and have been involved in some, and cleaned up some.

If it weren't for Chemical Plants you would be with out lights, plastics, cars, etc.
and most of the things you own and wear.

The Kanawha River was so dirty that it only had carp and catfish, that you could not eat,
now it is cleaned up, and has all kinds of fish, and now they have fishing tournaments.

All plants have leakes always have and always will.

You are since you are defending it. Bragging about being involved with companies that kill tens of thousands of people doesnt get you points in my book.

It was cleaned up. Not anymore. You are a dinosaur of a bigone age. We have better ways now. The people of southern WV had to learn this the hard way today. Dont apologize to me, apologize to them.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,890,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I think it is a stretch to say that the "coal industry" is at fault. The coal industry didn't physically cause this leak. It would be like saying the car industry is at fault when a gasoline storage tank has a leak at a gas station.

This incident is most likely a result of the bitter cold temperatures on an older storage tank. My guess is those storage tanks haven't had the best maintenance over the years or they are functionally obsolete. Or a valve or gasket failed due to contraction and expansion with the temperatures. We will know once the investigation is complete.

I also don't believe this is a turning point for industry in WV. Yes, we will see an upgrade to the detection processes required by the State and more regulation will be introduced but the chemical companies and the related businesses will continue to operate here in the State because the tax revenue they generate is needed. The State is projecting a budget shortfall and at this time there is no industry or industries that can replace the existing tax base overnight. That type of transition takes years to develop and implement. Should WV make moves for a more diversified economy? Absolutely. That takes time and until you achieve that you can't simply turn your back on the existing industries. That is a foolish way to run an economy.
This chemical is part of the coal industry. Now the demons you have created have been unleashed. Coal is as outdated as steam engines. This will only hasten its death. Good riddance.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,069,853 times
Wow, every store in Morgantown is out of gallons of water except the Downtown Exit Walmart, and they are limiting purchases to 5 gallons. I guess everyone who has friends or relatives in the Kanawha area has jumped in and bought everything up. My neighbor says the Uniontown stores are selling out too. He's from Uniontown.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 AM

114 posts, read 204,099 times
I recently moved back to the State after 32 years in VA. In the EP now, but I grew up in the Kanawha Valley. I had family who made their living working for the chemical plants there. I will never, ever forget that smell. My mother worked for Union Carbide. She was employed there during the Bopal, India crisis. She used to say "That's money you smell, honey." I'm not proud of that, and I hope she wouldn't be either if she were still alive. My father-in-law was with the company, too, and my husband tells me that it was dumping in the river that led to the discovery of antifreeze (ethylene glycol). Just a bit of trivia for ya, assuming this is accurate. I'm not saying that's a good thing, of course. He was a chem engineer and also helped create Agent Orange, supposedly.

My husband went to Tech with the owner of the company at fault in this recent incident. We knew him well, but have not been in touch since the mid 90's. I could say a WHOLE lot more about him, but I best not. I will say that I'm glad we left the valley and stayed away all these years, and so away from any further association with him. We understood he made a fortune after he created that coal washing chemical. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I have family who live right on the Elk River, in Big Chimney/Elkview. I learned to swim in it and remember many years of family reunions there. They tell me they were drinking and using the water all day before anyone alerted them about the leak. My cousin works in a drug store there and they are even sold out of baby wipes, etc.

It is hard to understand how something like this could have been allowed to happen. I can only hope that it is resolved quickly, and that something can be learned from it, that tighter controls and inspections are put into place. The whole issue of a facility like this being allowed to be located so close to a river is mind boggling.

But it happens, even right here in the EP; not long ago authorities allowed a landfill within close proximity of what I understand to be the last remaining "clean" creek in the State - Back Creek. And there's supposedly a wall of some kind in place, but evidence of possible leakage already. I got this from someone in the "know", by the way. I understand the Opequon Creek here is ruined. Something really has to be done to stop the continuing ruination and contamination in this State. I am renewing my commitment here and now to support the efforts of the Blue Heron Environmental Network, the organization whose mission is keeping Back Creek clean.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,160,262 times
Tracing Chemical Spill Downstream

Updated story about ongoing water testing.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 AM

114 posts, read 204,099 times
Holy crap, the plot thickens. Freedom Industries execs are longtime colleagues* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,839,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Don't be a coal company shill. I have friends down there they can bottle you some fresh water and you can drink it for us. Maybe it will give yoy superpowers.
pfft! I looked for negative rep option for you before I posted, btw. Didn't find one, so I wrote a post because I don't suffer fools well. My family hasn't had anything to do with coal since my grandfather was forced to take a mechanic job at a coal mine during the 1930s. He got out of it when WWII started.

Just how will your getting on an Internet forum and ranting and raving total nonsense help clean up WV's H2O any faster, fool? It won't. So people are just going to have to buck up and ride it out and do whatever they have to do and spend whatever they have to spend, because there is no other option. If authorities can't get it cleaned up soon enough, then people will be either forced to continue camping out at home or go stay at hotels, friends', or relatives'. Having a tirade over it wastes energy, annoys readers, and solves nothing.

I am formerly from the chemical industry in the Kanawha Valley. And this Freedom Industries is not on any par with DuPont or Dow, so don't even start with me about the chemical industry, because I won't give a dam and I will respect you even less. Freedom was deliberately negligent, did many things wrong, and will most likely face criminal charges. A good bit of information here in Kent Carper's about why this leak happened :
Kanawha Commission President Carper: Chemical leak questions rem - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

IF they had only leaked 3000 gallons on Thursday and promptly stopped it on Thursday, the water lines could be well on the way to being flushed out. But, Freedom says "less than 35000 gallons," and apparently it's still leaking into the water. Reports today say the levels have dropped. Apparently Freedom Industries is less than honest.

So, this has NOTHING to do with coal. It's a criminally negligent chemical distributor who knew they had a faulty tank and containment system but deliberately used it anyway.

"Toxic and lethal" to people won't happen, so long as people obey and don't drink it. Yes, I have considered the impact on people who use that water for livestock; they have real problems. The fish in the Kanawha have been considered unsafe to eat for decades so I won't worry about them. The closed business are losing revenue. The hospitals' costs rise. Patients may have to be transported elsewhere. Almost everyone else is only inconvenienced, so far. Water intakes farther downstream on the Kanawha and Ohio will not see the concentrations in the water that Kanawha Valley did. If it rains a lot, even more dilution will occur.

Sorry, but I have very extensive training in how to not have a screaming fit or an incoherent rant when an emergency situation or accident is occurring. ;-) One must stay sensible and work on solving the problems and preventing further damage.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,502,449 times
Quote:
You are since you are defending it. Bragging about being involved with companies that kill tens of thousands of people doesnt get you points in my book.

It was cleaned up. Not anymore. You are a dinosaur of a bigone age. We have better ways now. The people of southern WV had to learn this the hard way today. Dont apologize to me, apologize to them.
Another one who does not know the truth.

Last edited by bumpus7; 01-11-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,502,449 times
Quote:
This chemical is part of the coal industry. Now the demons you have created have been unleashed. Coal is as outdated as steam engines. This will only hasten its death. Good riddance.
Uses for coal will not go away in our life time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia