Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 PM

10 posts, read 47,534 times

Advertisements

a job in shepherdstown about a month ago and had a chance to drive through this neighborhood. the one thing that struck me was how small the lots were. you had relatively large houses sitting literally on slivers of land. and the houses and lots are so close together that it seemed to me that you may as well be living in a townhouse. the lots seemed to get slightly more spacious as you go further back into the neighborhood, but it didnt strike me as the kind of neighborhood where you could let your dog run around in the yard.

the houses all looked nice from the outside, but the whole neighborhood had a very cookie-cutter kind of a feel to me. if you dont mind that generic-suburbia kind of feel, i imagine it would be a fine place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
Maddex Farm has been one of the subdivisions with the largest declines in home values over the past few years, but with what is currently listed and under contract it may be stabilizing. I think there is only one foreclosure home listed as active now. Obviously buying an existing home is a better deal than new from the builder. Even with the price reductions, the builder is still charging more for upgrades than you will see in market return. I've lived in Jefferson County for over 30 years and attended Shepherd (while it was still a college) and I've yet to understand the attraction of Maddex compared to the other available older s/d's or in-town properties (if you like to see into your neighbor's windows.)
If you do decide to come to the area and want something with a little more elbow room let me know. I've got my house with up to 8 Ac for sale; it includes building lots or I'll sell the building lots seperately.
squintsul2003@yahoo.com

Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loch raven View Post
a job in shepherdstown about a month ago and had a chance to drive through this neighborhood. the one thing that struck me was how small the lots were. you had relatively large houses sitting literally on slivers of land. and the houses and lots are so close together that it seemed to me that you may as well be living in a townhouse. the lots seemed to get slightly more spacious as you go further back into the neighborhood, but it didnt strike me as the kind of neighborhood where you could let your dog run around in the yard.

the houses all looked nice from the outside, but the whole neighborhood had a very cookie-cutter kind of a feel to me. if you dont mind that generic-suburbia kind of feel, i imagine it would be a fine place to live.
Wow... coming from Maryland, the lots at Maddex Farm are large (they are all 1/4 acre).

Nowadays, houses in MD are selling on 1/8 acre (or less) lots and there isn't enough room to put a garage on the side of the house (look at the same model homes as Maddex in communities in Maryland (Hanover, NorthEast, etc.) the smaller homes in Maddex are the only ones that fit in the MD lots (and some are even stacked, with the garage on the front of the house to make room). If the lots are any larger, the lot and house usually go for well over 1/2 a million (even these days).

Besides, some people like having small yards - less to take care of... or (like me) couldn't afford a larger lot, even in WV.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 22,632 times
Default Hi Everyone!

Hope and trust all is well with all of you.

My husband and I finally decided to settle at Maddex Farm and our house is under construction as we speak; we are very excited about the transition to WV and looking forward to meeting our neigbors and the rest of the community in the spring. I do however, have a question for all of you and would really value your input.

We are planning on building a deck and a patio once the house is finished. I know you need a permit from Jefferson County to build a deck and patio; however, does anyone know or have experienced the application process with Maddex Farm HOA committee ? Also, is the MF HOA very strict as far as the design and colors? I was going through the HOA and the guidelines/regulations that they have seemed very conservative and rigid as far as what you can do with your own property . We were thinking of doing it ourselves but I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good and qualified deck and/or patio contractor for a reasonable price ?

By the way, there is a MF community picnic on April 24th according to the website, so hopefully we will get a chance to meet .

Hope to hear from you all soon !

~Anerley~

Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM

We have had a chance to talk to 1 or 2 people at the MF community and they seem very welcoming. We really haven't had a chance to explore the shops in Sheperdstown but based on the feedback that I hear - the area seems great .

Hope this helps .

~Anerley~

Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Post From what I hear...

Anytime when I tell people where I am moving to, they always have a smile on their face and have nothing but great reviews about Sheperdstown, WV . As I mentioned, we have had a chance to talk to 1 or 2 people at the MF community and they seem very welcoming. We really haven't had a chance to explore the shops in Sheperdstown but based on the feedback that I hear - the areas seems great .

Hope this helps .

~Anerley~

Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Decks & Patio Construction at Maddex Farm

Hi 7th Direction,

By any chance, do you know any good contractors for decks and patio that have done work for the homes at Maddex Farm? My husband and I were thinking about doing it ourselves but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask...

Thanks,
Anerley

Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Hi StevennMimi,

Do you know or have experienced the application process with Maddex Farm HOA committee? Also, is the MF HOA strict as far as the design and colors?

I was going through the HOA and the guidelines/regulations that they have seemed very conservative and rigid as far as what you can do with your own property. We were thinking of doing it ourselves but I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good and qualified contractor for a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Anerley
--------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmimi View Post
Hey Skiddy,

We are also considering a move to Maddex Farms, from Jersey. Did you make the move yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Regards,

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anerley4U View Post
Hope and trust all is well with all of you.

My husband and I finally decided to settle at Maddex Farm and our house is under construction as we speak;...
Also, is the MF HOA very strict as far as the design and colors? I was going through the HOA and the guidelines/regulations that they have seemed very conservative and rigid as far as what you can do with your own property ...

~Anerley~
That's one of the main reasons I will hopefully never have to live under the rule of an HOA. It's bad enough to have to ask permission from the county and pay a fee to build a deck on your own house.

As far as a contractor, I would recommend these:
T-n-T Contracting in Martinsburg, 304-264-0250
Mike Weller, Mike's Miscellaneous Construction, in Shenandoah Junction 304-283-6188

Clint

Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
My old neighbor and good friend in Inwood is a lisc. / insured contractor and a great, great guy. Works FT for the Martinsburg FD and does construction on days off, I don't know if he does anything in Jefferson County though. I can ask if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia