Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 PM

9 posts, read 103,730 times

Advertisements

How about Falling Water WV. Is this a decent town? I'm trying to find something close to the Williamsport MD area. That is where my husband is being transferred for work next year. I would like a town that has similar qualities as Harpers Ferry and Charles Town but closer to Williamsport MD. Any info anyone can share would be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 05:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Hi again,

Falling Waters, WV 25419
Exit 20 and Exit 23 I-81

Spring Mills Development off Exit 20.
I worked at the gas station off Exit 23 as a kid. Was robbed and held up twice. That is not the area, just the luck of working a gas station off the highway considering the armed robbers were from New York.

As before, If you go there make sure you get your home inspected by a "Maryland" inspector before you sign any paperwork.
Remember the home issues across the By Golly Border I warned you about.

It has been awhile for me, but check the tax rates in Washington County, MD and "overall" taxation for Hagersbush. Berkeley used to be much much cheaper and you got what you paid for, today the prices have caught up.
If I ever had to go back and had to live in the area, taxes be darned I would live in Hagerstown or MD before I crossed over the border.

Also remember traffic to Williamsburg or Pa or Va. You could live in a 25-35 mile radius and still cruise to where you are going. Traffic in that area is not an issue until you get close to Frederick, MD.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:08 PM

12 posts, read 46,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralilli2005 View Post
How about Falling Water WV. Is this a decent town? I'm trying to find something close to the Williamsport MD area. That is where my husband is being transferred for work next year. I would like a town that has similar qualities as Harpers Ferry and Charles Town but closer to Williamsport MD. Any info anyone can share would be appriciated.
I live in Marlowe,(right next to Williamsport, and I love it!! The schools are new, and there is a new High school coming soon also. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I have lived in the same spot for 16 years and I wouldn't move!!

**This is a repeat of the post I made in the "Moving to Martinsburg" thread****

Wow, I am really surprised at the animosity towards our area!! I have also lived here my whole life (48 years), with the exception of a detour to St. Louis in the 80's- great place by the way- and a short stay in Connecticut to be near my husbands family. I graduated from Musselman, and my kids have all either graduated or are attending Hedgesville High.

Ok, so I don't know many high schools now a days that don't have a drug problem. My oldest graduated from Mercersburg Academy, high price boarding school, absolutely beautiful btw, top of the line teachers, great atmosphere, yada yada yada, and in Mercersburg, PA. My next to oldest also went there for 2 years. Both of them told me that there is really no difference except for the fact that there are more countries represented there, and more creativity. Kids there were selling their high priced ADD meds that their rich parents plied them with, and yes, drinking and pot smoking, and all other types of drugs too!! It was just on a smaller level since there werent as many kids.

As far as crime, come on now...yes there is crime, but it is really no different than any other area around here. I live in Falling Waters. YES, there is a proliference of development that I absolutley abhor. But what are you going to do????? Most of us just can't move because we don't agree with everything that is happening. That is what elections are for!!!! I would no more uproot my family from their friends, school and us from our business/jobs, than I would cut my hand off.

Granted, housing prices have skyrocketed, but so has the equity in our homes. It would be nice for us to be able to build schools to keep up, but as it is, most of our kids go to schools that are either pretty new, or have had major upgrades because of all the growth. Now if we AS A STATE could pay our teachers what they are worth, so they wouldn't have to go to MD or VA, then it would be even better.

I am not saying it is perfect by any means, but I love where I live. I am almost at the MD border. I do almost all my shopping in Hagerstown MD. I just took my daughter to Winchester, VA last night to shop. We go to Frederick, MD all the time, and if we want to take a long weekend or short day trip, 1 1/2 hours away we can go to DC or Baltimore.

I truly am not unhappy to say I live here. Yes it would be wonderful if our infrastructure could keep up. It would be great if there weren't accidens tying up 81, then 11 so much I would say great!

So to all of you who are interested in living here, I say WELCOME!!!

You can also pm me with any questions!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,547 times
Default Falling Waters

I live in Falling Waters currently and love it. Very small town, lots of open space. Close to I81 interstate, and you don't have to go to Martinsburg.

I spend most of my time/money in Hagerstown MD. Lots more amenities than Martinsburg and a good deal cleaner.

Falling Waters is a great location, I have river access where I live currently and am only 2 miles from the MD line and Williamsport.

It's also not a bad drive if you have to commute to the city. My office is in Falls Church VA (luckily I only go there 2x a month) but even when I do, I can avoid RT 9 through Jefferson County and make it there alot quicker than my Charlestown counterparts.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,548 times
Default Move to martinsburg!

I would go to Martinsburg; there you will also have access to stores etc. I moved to Mburg in August from Ashburn Virgina. I LOVE It! I am very happy with the community and schools. We bought an S&A Home..great builder.Good Luck

Old 10-31-2006, 11:54 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
This is for Jen32, I am wondering if you live in a newer community? We are presently looking at Brookfied. We had looked at Riverside but heard not too good stuff from what is down the street. I was just wanting if you had any info on these or other communities. Thanks

Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,240 times
Default moving to berkely springs area

hi there. We are considering moving from the Tampa florida area in the summer of 08. My daughter is moving up there with her Fiance and my son and my grandkids are thinking of going. If so My husband, my 15 daughter and myself will be moving. We are not sure where yet. We will be coming up in August to look around. My daughter is looking forward to a smaller school than what she is use to (2500). I love what I have read of Berkeley Springs but I am afraid that might be a little too small. We were considering Martinsburg also but then some of the comments were negative. Can anyone give me some objective insight of the area?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,264 times
Default Williamsport & Falling Waters

I moved to Falling Waters from the DC area in January 2006 and really enjoy it. There's plenty of good shopping in Hagerstown and along I-81 and I-70, including an outlet mall at I-70's exit 29. Local eateries include all the standard fast-foods, plus Cracker Barrell and Ryans and Panera Bread, etc., and most importantly to me, a Ledo's Pizza shop ... get the pre-cooked bacon and onion!

If you're interested in Civil War history, Antietam is a 10-minute drive. Harper's Ferry, South Mountain, and Frederick (home to the Monocacy battlefield) are a half-hour to 45 minutes away, and Gettysburg can be reached in about an hour. And, of course, the final fight of the Gettysburg campaign occured right here in Williamsport and Falling Waters, where about 1700 soldiers (including Confederate General Pettigrew of Pickett's Charge fame) were killed, wounded, or captured.

The C&O canal offers bicycling paths and boat ramps at nearby Williamsport. If you like grass roots baseball, Hagerstown has a minor league team, and if you want the big leagues ... or museums and nightclubs and all the other big-city amenities ... both DC and Baltimore are 90 minutes away, or 2 hours during the workday rush. MARC passenger trains run from Martinsburg to Rockville, Silver Spring, and DC, etc., so if you work in DC and hate commuting, you can read a book or catch some snooze time instead of fighting traffic.

By the way, the traffic is very manageable up here and the rolling hills are appealing and pleasant to drive. Most of the local people are decent, down-to-earth good folks. Crime happens, of course, but very little of the bad stuff that city dwellers know all too well. And if you like snow, we average around two feet a year ... about double what DC gets but less than in the higher elevations to our west.

Home and land prices here are a steal compared to DC, Montgomery County, or even Baltimore. You can get a lot of house in Falling Waters, Hedgesville, or Martinsburg for the same money that would get you a tiny salt box in DC's suburbs. The Washington and Baltimore newspapers are easy to find here and our cable TV provider includes DC and Baltimore stations in his standard package ... along with high-speed internet, of course.

The area is still a bit rural, but we're not the boonies. Also, I've not read or heard anything negative about our schools, other than that the state-wide West Virginia salary for teachers is too low. We have a couple hospitals and there seem to be enough doctors and diagnostic providers, and nice new homes are rising up all around. I expect that the influx of development money and urban voters in the coming decade will transform this community, although I also expect it will retain its slower, gentler touch for a long time to come.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 12,419 times
I am looking to move to Falling Waters. Does anyone have any suggestions about apartment complexes?

I have a friend who lives in Evergreen...I loved those....anything else like that around Falling waters?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdacx7 View Post
I am looking to move to Falling Waters. Does anyone have any suggestions about apartment complexes?

I have a friend who lives in Evergreen...I loved those....anything else like that around Falling waters?
I don't know of any apartments in Falling Waters but there is a very small townhouse development off of Broad Lane that rent out. There are bigger ones and apartments in Martinsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia