Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM

22 posts, read 91,631 times

Advertisements

My husband currently is working at the General Motors plant in Wilmington, DE. The future of the plant is looking glum. We feel that within the next year or two the plant will be shutting down which will force us to move. He was already forced to move from the Baltimore plant, when they closed the doors there, to the Wilmington plant back in 2006. We are looking ahead and he has put in for a job transfer to any of these four plants. Lordstown, OH, Bowling Green, KY, Charlotte, NC, and Martinsburg, WV. What I'm asking for is for any information about these areas that will help us in deciding what area would be best for our family. We currently live in the York, PA area and my husband drives 1.5 hours to work everyday. We have a colonial style 3 bedroom home worth about $230,000 located on an .17 acre lot and we pay about $3,400 in property tax every year. If we are to relocate we would like to find a new to fairly new 4 bedroom home that is close to the gm plant (no more 1.5 hour drive), with about 1-2 acres of land, priced around $250,000 or lower, low property taxes, within an excellent school district. We have two children. One is currently in first grade and the other is to begin kindergarten this fall. The school district that our children would attend is very important to me. I would also need to be able to get a job as supportive staff member or guest teacher within the same school district our children attend. Here in PA kindergarten is only half day unless there is a need for all day. If any one knows how kindergarten is ran in any of the states we are looking at please let me know. If anyone knows how the cost of living in any of these states compares to living in York, PA please let me know. (ei. housing, groceries, utilities, etc) Also, I would like to be close to a Walmart and a grocery store. I don't want to have to drive 30-45 minutes do the weekly shopping. Any information that will help in our decision as to where to move is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 PM

I am referring to the parts plant distribution center in Martinsburg.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I know a lot of people that go laid off from the Martinsburg plant. I thought they were in the process of severely downsizing it?

You should be able to find a lot of homes on 1-2 acres within a 1.5 hour drive. You could go as far away as Berkeley Springs / Hampshire County if you wanted. Back Creek Valley in Berkeley County is one of my favorite places, you may be able to find something to suit your needs and only be .5 hour from the plant...

Do a real etstate search on realtor.com and pick Martinsburg, Gerrardstown, Hedgesville, Falling Waters, etc..

Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I know a lot of people that go laid off from the Martinsburg plant. I thought they were in the process of severely downsizing it?
So GM is laying off a lot of its employees at Martinsburg, too? We did not know. GM likes to keep their employees in the dark a lot. All we know is that Wilmington probably will not be producing the Soltice and Sky for much longer. There's talk that the Soltice and Sky will be moved to Bowling Green KY and there probably won't be another vehicle to replace it. Meaning that they will close the plant down just like they did to the Baltimore plant. So my husband put in for a job relocation to four different GM plants/ parts centers. We are looking ahead right now while we have the chance to possibly pick the area we would like to be relocated to. If we don't think ahead then he will be forced to relocate to where ever GM feels that they could use him at and we don't get a choice. So if you are saying that GM is laying off in Martinsburg, maybe my husband should put a different plant on his list and just forget about the chance of getting into Martinsburg?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM

I know a lot of people laid off from there and put into that mode for training in other fields. They were never called back from what I understand.

In this market/economy and the state of the automobile industry I really could not offer any advice other than to say if you are in Detroit or anywhere in the rustbelt, I would personally take a free relo package to anywhere with a better local economy/prospects.

In other words, Martinsburg / Winchester / Hagerstown is a better place to be than the rustbelt areas in case you need to find employment. (At least that's my opinion).

Old 03-17-2008, 04:33 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
The Martinsburg plant is a shell of what it used to be. Can't speak for GM, but if trend is any determination of the future, I would question the long term aspects of the PDC in the B'urg.
With this said, going by your description of town, outside of Martinsburg you should look at Bowling Green, KY.
Charlotte, NC I can tell you now has reached the pinnacle of #10 of the top 10 most miserable cities in America. Basically, Atlanta lite! It is unfortunate, massive growth in population and crime.
I live in Atlanta and can tell ya, by the post that the culture shock of metro area Charlotte may not be to your liking. Since you live in York, when it comes to Charlotte think of Baltimore, you will have your question answered.

Bowling Green is rather laid back and a nice place.

Good Luck

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't know what Bowling Greens future prospects are, but the Eastern Panhandle and the Hagerstown MSA are poised for tremendous economic activity.

It's not a bad corridor to be in if you are concerned with employment. And the real estate values are approaching 'normalcy' as well.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't know what Bowling Greens future prospects are, but the Eastern Panhandle and the Hagerstown MSA are poised for tremendous economic activity.

It's not a bad corridor to be in if you are concerned with employment. And the real estate values are approaching 'normalcy' as well.
Positive Growth:

Three,
The SE US is going absolutely nuts. The Atlanta MSA is growing by adding more population than Berkeley each year. Gridlock nation.

Kentucky with Louisville to Bowling also double digit growth.

NC from Charlotte to the Piedmont, up to Raliegh is growing so fast that it is actually passing Georgia and Atlanta in growth percentage. The estimate NC's population to exceed Georgia for the #8 spot nationwide in the next census.

Many negatives to this, but the postive is one can find work withing their town. You don't have to travel 50-100 miles a day to make a living. Since the 80's and all the closings in Martinsburg (Cable, Martin, GM downsize, Corning, DuPont, etc.) about the only option is to hit the train in the early hours to DC, or the road to the drive down to Dulles.

Then again, you could always go to Buck Hill and become a shine runner Oh, those days are gone too! All development now.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
250 people just got layed off in Hancock MD [not far from Martinsburg] that worked for a NAPA center/ Another 400 lost jobs in Ranson WV Martinsburg WV unemployment been swamped since Monday.... Does this help any one moving here to even think there are jobs here!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM

You have to think in therms of regional outlook. Yes- jobs are going to get lost, but jobs will also be created. The commercial construction outlook in the EP is fairly strong, despite the recent events.

Plus- fulfillment centers generally follow consumer spending trends, and that number is trending downward. GM has a host of problems all their own and frankly- I'm surprised to hear NAPA laid off.

Look at the Tractor Supply Company and Orgill shipping hubs- they employ a lot. Quad Graphics, Berryville Graphics are all good employment bases..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia