Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 AM

778 posts, read 795,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post
Oh tell us about Sheetz!

And of course at either mini mart (what do they call a mini mart) the chili cheese dog comes with slaw
I do not know what others call them but I mutated the name of the local one that was called Stop-N-Go into Stop-N-Rob. Either they take your money or a criminal takes theirs.

Stop-N-Go eventually became Go-Mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 09:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Not this again. They're not going to spend several billion dollars to connect a redundant interstate through the middle of nowhere to a dying town of 9,000 people
Wow. They are spending huge sums to run roads to nowhere through Greenbriar County and elsewhere in the southern tier, but you don't think they would be interested in providing more roadway between DC/Baltimore and the Midwest? Have you ever driven around the DC area? The PA Turnpike is seriously overburdened. They can't expand it due to the numerous tunnels on it, bisecting the Allegheny Range. They very much need a redundant route, and this one would be toll free, attracting a lot of truck traffic. It makes perfect sense, which is why the West Virginia state government won't even give it a passing thought. The initiative would have to come from the Feds.

Moundsville isn't dying as quickly as some of those places they are currently spending tens of millions building roads around down there, and it is smack in the middle of the most valuable natural gas deposits in the world.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Wow. They are spending huge sums to run roads to nowhere through Greenbriar County and elsewhere in the southern tier, but you don't think they would be interested in providing more roadway between DC/Baltimore and the Midwest? Have you ever driven around the DC area? The PA Turnpike is seriously overburdened. They can't expand it due to the numerous tunnels on it, bisecting the Allegheny Range. They very much need a redundant route, and this one would be toll free, attracting a lot of truck traffic. It makes perfect sense, which is why the West Virginia state government won't even give it a passing thought. The initiative would have to come from the Feds.

Moundsville isn't dying as quickly as some of those places they are currently spending tens of millions building roads around down there, and it is smack in the middle of the most valuable natural gas deposits in the world.
Nailed it. This highway should be a top priority when it comes to new construction.

Coalfields Expressway is a waste of time and money compared to this project.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
Quite frankly, any new highway construction in WV is a waste of time and money.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times
I work for an expediter, delivering a pallet or two of quickly needed items all over the country. Have only been doing this 6 weeks but have already driven through West Virginia at least a dozen times. There's something about driving through WV that I don't sense elsewhere, and I hope that never changes. Having driven through heavy traffic in numerous States building a big highway into WV might be one of those careful what you wish for things.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:47 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
I recently stayed in West Virginia in Wheeling in a hotel right across from the Ohio River. I was a bit disappointed with the hotel for the price I was expecting a bit more luxury. This was one of the few times I kept a loaded handgun in my room but I felt it was necessary what with me staying in West Virginia and all.
lmao

I was in a similar situation at a gas station once. I didn't have anything on me. To be fair I would have been outnumbered so not sure if one would have helped me if I did have any problems.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

Can you give more specifics about new road construction in Greenbrier County that lead to nowhere?

I can see those feelings about the King Coal roadway that the coal companies are helping to build but I have toured Greenbrier County recently and in the recent past without seeing any new roads. I think I-64 was the latest "new road" and it intersects with I-81 and goes on toward Richmond so it can't be what you are addressing.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:36 AM

194 posts, read 182,004 times
It cant be all bad i just learned one of the top 10 Halloween costumes is dressing as a Tudor's Biscuit

Old 06-25-2019, 03:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
I hate to agree but Corridor H should be a top priority for the state, in terms of highway construction, if not the top priority. With that said, any and all funding either currently set-aside or planned for the Coalfield Expressway and the King Coal Highway should be diverted to Corridor H.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,992 times
Shew Don't get me started on building highways in SWV again....I do agree Corridor H needs to be finished up ASAP, but don't worry we'll all be dead and gone before the Coalfields Expressway or King Coal Highway will ever be finished. That's a pipe dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia