Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times

Advertisements

I was wrong, I just pulled up my last zip code and it was 102 offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I have NO problem posting a sign in their front yard. Atleast I would know not to allow my child anywhere near them! Or better yet, I would choose to move.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Scary most moved here out of state.......

Old 04-19-2008, 05:42 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
I would be in favor of a 'Public Hanging' for sexual predators...certainly in front of the local courthouse.
Our judical system has put a 'time price' on criminal acts and calls that enough punishment.
Our early laws were based more surely on the Hammirabi Code, the old testament and engish law which indicated a restitution would be made by an atonement of blood.
That worked as as deterrant for over 6,000 years.
To destroy a country systematically, two things must be done. The law must be weakened and the family unit modified as a role model of community strength...both seem to be failures to us..
When we give criminals power over us...we become 'defacto' criminals in our own right...role reversal as a coward in not upholding an ideal paid for by others before us.
Many of us do not know or have forgotten the sacrifices other generations have paid for us to enjoy this thing called peace.
We will have to lose it...suffer, and then regain it again in another generation...it is that fragile and a complacent, soft minded society forgets that quickly...

Old 04-19-2008, 06:23 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
...molesting and murders have been happening from many years back but because of cable news and such they are reporting it more than ever and it makes it seem like it is getting worse.
Definitely agree with that. I would think there was more of it before the media began to publicly villify it.
~Mark

Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
It is sad that this is so common. And another scary fact is the cycle of this behavior often goes on for generations--child is molested/raped,goes on to be a molester---this second child grows up to be one--I think the cycle (in too many families) has to be broken to prevent more children from becoming victims!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 AM

In some european cultures, particularly during the 'victorian era'...'diddling the children' was as normal as a sunday afternoon walk. When I was researching this horrid practice, it seemed to me that it was part of the culture...ignored by the mothers, grandmothers and aunts because of their 'Place' as sub-servants to the male dominated rule. Never talked about or acknowledged. The germans and dutch were particular offenders.
It has come out into the open as the criminal act that it is because of cross cultural
communication and education. Being watchfull is the best protection and deterrant.
It is a mental sickness and does perpetuate itself because in the unit of involvement it seems like a normal act of the family..more later...work is supposed to happen today.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
That's truly a shocking bit of history! I'm glad such a disgusting thing is not considered normal today. To think of all the children that must have been psychologically damaged by this astounds me!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

I don't know if it was thought of as 'normal' then.

I used the phrase 'diddling the children...meaning fondling the children.

For their reasons, it was laughed away by those in authority...what old uncle bill did...or grandaddy did when no one was looking.

Thank God none of this came down from our immediate people but as our family began to marry into direct european lines their secrets began to filter out...just why Aggie and Frank were banished by the family to Java...they were brother and sister and were having sexual relations...or just why, Uncle Bushrod was the one 'not' to visit. He was a pediphile.

When that dear one was attacked and wounded it was done by a professional. The scumbag had 2 prior arrests and convictions for aggravated assualt and rape in the midwest. Our West Virginia courts looked the other way and it was not until he had attacked our family member and two others from our community...one being a high school kid walking to class during the noon recess. Then and only then did the judge do something...a 30 year sentence...15 years later he was out and resumed his hobby ...that tim, he got life...I told the judge and the prosecuting attorney that they were both worthless B*****d's
that they could have prevented at least 3 people from having the nightmares...they said they were required to uphold the law...it was the law...and a good crooked lawyer.

What happens to these victims?
They life in fear for the remainder of their lives...some regress if the damage is too violent...become catatonic or develop multiple personality to cope with the fragments of personality left in the mind.
There is never enought time on ones clock to heal much of it...decades help with the forgetting process. But triggers can set everything in motion for re-live the event at the oddest times...it might be an odor or a similar place or just something that is tied into the subconscious and brings the rememberance back clearly and fearfully.

Sometimes it triggers the rememberance of earlier events...of similar situations or molestations by others...

In the very worst case senarios, a scaring takes place in the subconscious of the victim.

If the molestation begins at an early enough age...say in infancy, then that victim is never able to bond naturally and create the trust that needs to take place in a normal
heterosexual relationship.
They are emotionaly handicapped permanently and this factor is not even looked at within the courts. As far as the judical system is concerned, if you are ok physcally, then you are ok period. What idiots.
So many women turn to lesbianism because of this very reason. They do not feel safe enough within themselves to create a relationship with a man.

This addiction to prey on the innocent is complex.
A number of causes can be cited and I don't care to dicuss this topic much further...It can be a part of the family learning...it can be a seeking of power, of abuse & hatred to oneself and to particular others or strangers. It can be a lust.

Whatever the causes, a workable deterrant needs to be established...none has ever been established because these crimes have been pretty well ignored until our time.

Back in the days of the KKK and other vigilante groups...and I'm citing this only for shock purposes with no intention that any similar reactions should be taken today..
After several warnings and a beating, the criminals testicles were cut off and displayed in a public place....word always got around.

If anyone is interested in reading the better books on the healing process of these events, I could give my recommendations privately...I firmly believe that self-help is the better cure...because of its personal privacy and the time of understanding that it takes.
thanks...

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Most Child molester in this area are not posted to protect the child...most in the local paper have turned out to be relitives of the victim....sick world we live in.
It's pretty much the same way here in GA. They don't put signs in the windows because pretty much the whole family could become the target (via drive by shooting or fire bomb, vandalism, etc) due to the actions of one person.

Another reason is the vague sex offender laws that most states still have. For instance, here (just like in WV I believe), if an 18 year old boy were to have sex with a 15 or 16 year old girl, the boy could be convicted as a sex offender and have to register just the same as someone who is a serial rapist or someone who molests young children. While you could peg him as being an idiot, you shouldn't post a sign in the window of the 18 year old's home the same as you would a 40 year old man who raped a 10 year old. Yet, the 18 year old must register and be on a web page the same as the more violent and sick guy, etc., and if signs were in the window, he (18 year old) would be subject to possible danger from the pubic who would have no way to know exactly WHY he's an offender, etc.

There needs to be a Federal standard for sex offender laws, and different "levels" so folks can ID at what level an offender is. For instance, in the case of a teen who has an underage girlfriend, he would be punished but not have to be listed in a database or have a sign on the door. Someone who commits different levels of sexual offenses would be classified into more and more serious class levels depending on what it is - with appropriate signs on their homes to indicate the "level" of offender they were. Otherwise, a parent with a 4 year old might freak out if a man lives next door to them with a generic warning - he might have raped his girlfriend, which is horrific, but he would post no danger to a young child, etc. In other words, they need to have different levels and classifications of offenders and the public needs to be able to view who/what they are by color coded signs or some other method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia