Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times

Advertisements

I was looking for the photo of McCain on the cover of AARP magazine but it was Jamie Lee Curtis...now there's a candidate I could really get behind...wouldn't care what party either...
Why does a magazine for old people want to hype young babes?
HenryStern sent me that mag when I was 45 and I still can't forgive him...If I were 70 it might be another matter...Wonder if he's raising money for the 'Soup Opera's over in columbia...shalom

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Man, if you think JLC is a young babe, you must be older than the dirt your house is sitting on.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM

I think Cher is a babe too! both of these women drip sex...

Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,685 times
I saw Cher (and sonny) tape their tv show, back in the day and yeah, she was a hottie.
probably still is.
As for colored people, since I am saltine color, I guess that makes me a cracker. I would not consider someone's color in voting, any more than I would consider who wears a flag lapel pin, or who can't bowl for squat. I care about gas prices, jobs, health care, veterans care, gov. waste, illegal aliens, newspaper editors who can't spell, and ....the list goes on and on. I'm sick of all the distractions created by spinmiesters and talking heads.
As a new resident of NCWV, the first impression is maybe it's not as racist as other places. But when I see streets where most of the houses are for sale, I wonder if something is going on.
As for the decline of the US, it's been going on in california for a long time and is spreading. My moving to WV feels little like running to the roof of a burning house. Sorry, west Virginia, hope that's not too much pressure.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 AM

Wv's economy in NCWV will be fine...It's growth carrys importance. It is expected that the capitol will be bombed in the next 10 to 15 years...that fact, and the expected rise in ocean sea levels has made our area the proposed and actual location for much of the government that runs the nation. It's easy to protect: we have our own military base, we have a tank factory, independent power generation, and coming on line, a coal to gasoline plant. Completely self supporting and the people here can grow food. It can be isolated from everything else in less than 4 hours.
This region has a different mind set than the rest of the country...about 1950/60's...adjust, you will be fine. Comparing Wv to the rest of the country does not work...it never has..think of it as a country within the country.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
DK, you forgot the rising temperatures, which will turn Canaan Valley into the winter vegatable garden of the nation, much like central California and the Rio Grande valley are today.

Snowshoe already has the white AstroTurf on order.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 AM

191 posts, read 809,889 times
You could start about a dozen new threads from this one post alone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Wv's economy in NCWV will be fine...It's growth carrys importance. It is expected that the capitol will be bombed in the next 10 to 15 years...that fact, and the expected rise in ocean sea levels has made our area the proposed and actual location for much of the government that runs the nation. It's easy to protect: we have our own military base, we have a tank factory, independent power generation, and coming on line, a coal to gasoline plant. Completely self supporting and the people here can grow food. It can be isolated from everything else in less than 4 hours.
This region has a different mind set than the rest of the country...about 1950/60's...adjust, you will be fine. Comparing Wv to the rest of the country does not work...it never has..think of it as a country within the country.

Not to argue - it may all be true - but could you please elaborate on the factoids you just dropped on us so we can have Paul Harvey's rest of the story? Who expects the capitol to be bombed in 10-15 years? Wouldn't suprise me, though. Where is the tank factory? That is probably new info for many, including me. Where will the coal gasification plant be located?

As for the 1950-60 mentality, I resemble that remark. That is why I'm so outraged that Beckley has supported all national business chains instead of local stores and restaurants. That's why I'm so despondent that our nation is mired in debt, on a personal and national level. That's why I'm lamenting the deindustrialization and decline of the middle class. That's why I am furious that crackheads broke into many of the cars in surrounding neighborhoods a few nights ago, that they held up my friend's dad at the gas station, that they stole a guy's copper plumbing from his crawl space while he was out of town. That stuff didn't happen in the 1950s, which, unfortunatley, are never coming back. BTW I was born in 1972.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:52 PM

The Defense Department expects some kind of nuclear device to be detonated in the DC area..the study just out last week. Collateral damage: 100,000 lives.

Gasification plant: Morgantown...was producing fuel oil during WW-2. mothballed...was given 223 million by Pres. Bush three years ago to upgrade the technology and put it put it back into operation.

Military Base: Camp Dawson, Preston County. 2 Brigades of Marines (4,000) can be here in 2 hrs from Camp LeJeune...if more? Army troops from Ft. Bragg.

Coal Fired Electric plants at Ft. Martin and Shinnston. Locally mined coal.

Abrams Tank Factory at Uniontown...700 units sitting in the yard. Can be robotically operated and set in place by helicopters....need no manpower and minimal servicing.

Ocean levels are expected to rise and as Alexandria is flooding now...DC, which was a swamp to begin with will see the tide rise 7 to 10'...much of it will be under water as will be the case of New York City...

My advice: short term...Do as the WSJ advised...stockpile some canned food...

and as for building...Wv is all hills...about 800' above sea level at its lowest point...
we will be ok...don't forget that garden this year...I love global warming...it just brings more money to the mountain state.

NCWV is the place to be and live...

Old 04-26-2008, 01:49 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,685 times
Well, that's great news. Not the whole nuclear inhililation thing, that's a bummer. But the '50s and 60s comment. I was looking for someplace that wasn't ruined yet by the eighties, nineties and oughts. Maybe I can have that, and still live by the beach, too. wooo-hooo!
That electric plant in Shinnston must be what my wife thinks is a nuclear plant, because of the big fat smokestack that resembles a nuke plant in Cal. Ironically, she wants to drag my butt to DC, which I have no interest in.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM

Shinnston is a nice little town...when 9/11 hit...the troopers were 6 cars deep at the entrance of that power plant with guns drawn...that's a steam stack...DC is expecting a small device to be detonated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia