Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:31 AM

52 posts, read 37,117 times

Advertisements

Finished a job in Slidell Louisiana, checking infrastructure conditions in the wetlands. Checking to make sure high tension power lines concrete and steel foundations were sound. Report if maintenance was required.

Work was interesting, good pay, and got to be outdoors most of the time.

Promoted to Forman, finally talked to higher ups. Everything ok till I told them where I was from.
Most people say something like “West by god Virginia”. Almost heaven. Friendly banter.

One supervisor was not impressed. Seceded from Virginia, why come here for a job, etc? Whole state left Va. Why come here and reap benefits of productive south?

At first, thought he was joking. But over course of several weeks, hostility at work was interfering with staying productive. Other men in my crew were sullen and insulting, finally I quit in disgust and anger.

I personally have no interest in Confederacy, other than some work I did with Fugro Chance out of Houston, and Oceaneering Int, out of Morgan City.
We located and recovered Submarine CSS Hunley. Expedition was financed, I think, by author Clive Cussler.

Seriously? I have encountered hostility before, usually office politics or scholar differences. But nothing like this. And Louisiana is the only place I have run into this. It made no difference if I ignored this, and did job well, tried to be accommodating, even took pranks in good humor.

I’m at a loss. Any suggestions for me to calm down? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 03:57 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Well gee that's how WV people treated me 45 years ago & it still happens today. That's Life ...suck it up do your job.

So you coming back to WV or trying another state?

Old 07-09-2020, 01:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
You could tell them that West Virginia gave 20 regiments worth of men to the Confederacy and hasn't taken down any Confederate statues while Texas has, so has Louisiana. But it's not worth arguing about really because of the level of their ignorance about the Civil War and its intricacies.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
You could tell them that West Virginia gave 20 regiments worth of men to the Confederacy and hasn't taken down any Confederate statues while Texas has, so has Louisiana. But it's not worth arguing about really because of the level of their ignorance about the Civil War and its intricacies.
Just this morning I read an article about some group petitioning the state to remove the Stonewall Jackson statue on the WV Capital grounds. Unfortunately WV isn't immune.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky-yo View Post
Finished a job in Slidell Louisiana, checking infrastructure conditions in the wetlands. Checking to make sure high tension power lines concrete and steel foundations were sound. Report if maintenance was required.

Promoted to Forman, finally talked to higher ups. Everything ok till I told them where I was from.
Most people say something like “West by god Virginia”. Almost heaven. Friendly banter.

One supervisor was not impressed. Seceded from Virginia, why come here for a job, etc? Whole state left Va. Why come here and reap benefits of productive south?

At first, thought he was joking. But over course of several weeks, hostility at work was interfering with staying productive. Other men in my crew were sullen and insulting, finally I quit in disgust and anger.

I personally have no interest in Confederacy, other than some work I did with Fugro Chance out of Houston, and Oceaneering Int, out of Morgan City.
We located and recovered Submarine CSS Hunley. Expedition was financed, I think, by author Clive Cussler.

Seriously? I have encountered hostility before, usually office politics or scholar differences. But nothing like this. And Louisiana is the only place I have run into this. It made no difference if I ignored this, and did job well, tried to be accommodating, even took pranks in good humor.

Stuff like this is why those of us who support removing the statues don't believe that the racial attitudes that led to the Confederacy seceding are ancient history. Those attitudes still exist particularly in certain parts of the country.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I am working with locations in Winchester VA and Martinsburg WV. No problem.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
Just this morning I read an article about some group petitioning the state to remove the Stonewall Jackson statue on the WV Capital grounds. Unfortunately WV isn't immune.

It would really surprise me if they got rid of the statue. The high school name change didn't surprise me, I could see that coming.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:21 AM

65 posts, read 98,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am working with locations in Winchester VA and Martinsburg WV. No problem.

Good to hear!

Old 08-02-2020, 08:40 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky-yo View Post

There might be some resentment towards West Virginia from the South. The Southeast Conference voted not to allow the University of West Virginia to join their conference a few years back, so that's why they are in the Big 12. Whenever West Virginia plays an "away" game, the nearest Big 12 Conference rival is the University Kansas in Lawrence and it's over 800 miles from Morgantown by air and 900 miles by land. I think the furthest conference rival is Texas Tech in Lubbock. Morgantown is nearly 1500 miles ftom Lubbock. Undoubtedly, the University of West Virginia spends a fortune on plane tickets each year.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:59 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,559 times
Bummer that things panned out like this as it sounds like your life has really been affected.

Some cultures really tend to view outsiders as different and I understand that both Cajun/Bayou-Louisiana and Appalachia-WV are two areas known for this. I don’t have enough info to conclude co-workers are ignorant, racist, or their problem dates back to the Civil War or college football conferences as others have speculated. Perhaps if you had these biases, or if co-workers held WV biases against you, that is where it started.

After living in the mid-south and WV, the world view is different. I try not to argue but focus on understanding the difference and explaining what I’ve seen. Best of luck in moving on to the next phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia