Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I won't work for you for $10.50
I won't be laying threeruns bricks for $1 a brick.
I won't work at a tire store for 20k a year, especially not for a 'boss' that punishes me for why their business isn't profitable.
-Because you don't HAVE to! Perhaps you're educated or skilled in something that pays better, or you're not hungry enough. There are plenty of people who fit those jobs. I think the point he's making is that it's easier (an now, quite socially acceptable) to collect welfare, food stamps or W/C, than to work. There's no pride or honor left in the working man. I just can't fathom the concept of " I'll sit at home, -on welfare-, rather than work for $10/hour." We are one lazy society. The day is soon approaching where the one's footing the bill will be outweighed by the one's collecting the free money.

I am all for helping out someone who has hit a tough time in life. If you can't get yourself together in 12-18 months, it's because you don't really want to. If I were King... Social assistance would be capped at 18 months. If the local community (church, neighbors, fraternal orgs...) want to pick up after that, fine. It's well past time to make it a social stigma to be unemployed, and living on the dole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Not because I'm lazy, afraid to pay dues, collect unemployment, welfare, or any such thing. Because it doesn't pay to work at those wages, & the notion that selling my back for a buck is pretty much a no brainer. Go ahead and blame workers all you want when you're the boss. Supply and demand rules, if you're a die hard fan, would have dictated higher wages. Whining about capitalism when it goes against you isn't getting business done. Don't want to pay? Do your own labor, and figure out how to rid yourself of contempt for the job, and the people 'stupid' enough to work those jobs. The very fact you'd reference mexicans to do jobs you'd rather not get dirty doing... your attitude has more to do with why you can't find help.
Have to agree here (at least with the supply/demand issue ). If $10/hr isn't getting you the help you desire, perhaps it's worth more in your area. Just pray a Union doesn't show up and demand, nay FORCE, you to pay $25/hr for an uneducated laborer. Downside here is that the govenment handicaps you by allowing, heck- encouraging, the unemployed laborer to stay on welfare, rather than work for $10/hr. A cap on benefits would solve that.

~Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 AM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
The laborer at $10.50 an hour isn't laying the brick, the mason is. The laborer is fetching and mixing the mortar, getting bricks to the mason- you know, general labor. I'd say earning $10.50 an hour with zero skills but being able to learn a valuable trade is a pretty good deal.

There's lots of places in and around Clarksburg you can rent for $350-$500 a month. Not the Taj Mahal, but enough of a roof, kitchen and bathroom to make due. At $10.50 an hour FT, tha rent is 20-28% of your gross. That's on a laborers wage. Heck, electricians apprentices don't make much more than that in the city.

Hinton is spot on- very few want to take the work or better yet, invest the time in a trade. I guess they feel entitled to more, better, now.

Edit- also this isn't just a North/Central thing.. It was as bad in the Eastern Panhandle.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-10-2008 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
A buck a brick translates to about $800 per day...even a novice can lay 450 birck in a day...the Union will not let a man lay that many brick...about 450 is a great days work.
About 3 hrs work time..

A lot of the work in Wv now IS prevailing wage...that's $32.00 per hr to start...much more than the coal miners make..

And most contractors want a man for the minimun...$6/7 range because they know that they will not give them much work...if they show up for that, they can mosey around on the job site and hold their coffee carefully with one hand and have their smokes in the other.
If a man is good, he will get about $8.50...this area is trying to force the wages to be low...

I'm for letting the Mexicans come here with work pernits...they are honest and very hard workers but they would be and have been expoited...
I recall getting Christmas trees for the Boy Scout project a few years ago in McDowell County...drove up on the mountain to get the trees and the snow was flying...the mexicans were loading the semi. I asked...'Where did those mexicans come from..." as it was unusual to see them at all then...the guy said...'We pay them $4.00 a day and they live in that Ford van...9 of them....at the end of the day, one of them goes down the mountain to get a gallon can of beans for supper."
I replied..."Thanks and I want to tell you now that we will buy our trees else where from now on." That mountain top was a reclaimed area for a large coal company...
Told me a few things about them...
I thought the days of slavery were over...depends on who you are...and who the worker is.

We can offer the good paying jobs to our youth...if they are not able to use them for their growth and motivation into college, then the problem lies in another direction.
I know several who are in their mid 20's and still live at home and sponge off of their parents...they are professional Computer Game players.
Work several hours a day for nothing but a little sound effects and blinking lights..perhaps when they are old and look at their bank account, it will be filled with numbers...I hope so..

Bring on the Mexicano's...Hola...Hola!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Yes, I see plenty of spoiled brats acting entitled, but they aren't the youngsters.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 17,540 times
Jobs are tuff but its all in what your looking for been here all my live love the place but we have a need for higher pay type jobs but then that depends on what you do

Old 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM

246 posts, read 880,643 times
i live in charleston and there are very few good jobs. i am lucky to be retired with a good pension. i wanted to get another job but even with a cdl and all the endorsements it's tough to get anything decent.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
I can go into Morgantown and turn in a 360* circle and see at least 6 jobs going on with brick flying in all directions..almost anywhere. These laborers are coming down from Pittsburgh and Ohio to get this work...

In Clarksburg yesterday, I saw a brand new lot filled with white and blue well drilling equiptment and support vehicles...a sign on the fence was 3' X 16' It said "Hiring drivers with CDL" missed the name was just 2 initials...cj or cb...Annmore exit about 1/2 a mile on the left...going toward C-burg....

Old 07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,721 times
After reading the many replies and views on this thread I have came to the conclusion that many wish to be the chief and not the Indian, and their not hungry and have everything they want, So why work if you already have it all. Or someone is giving you what you need!!!, What many don't realize is that experience is gold and the more experience one gains is repaid with knowledge and with these one can advance to all most any position they desire, And this my friends comes from one that knows, because I have been a poor man,beggar man rich man and now a retired man, I have worked for food, I have worked for pennies, I have worked for dollars, I have had nothing, I have been comfortable and I have had any thing I wanted, I have donated to the unfortunate and helped many along my travels and many have helped me, I did not do all by my self nor did I ever refuse a days work because I thought the wages were not enough, I have dug ditches to manage a business and it's always been my thoughts that one has to learn how to craw before they can walk!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
After reading the many replies and views on this thread I have came to the conclusion that many wish to be the chief and not the Indian, and their not hungry and have everything they want, So why work if you already have it all. Or someone is giving you what you need!!!, What many don't realize is that experience is gold and the more experience one gains is repaid with knowledge and with these one can advance to all most any position they desire, And this my friends comes from one that knows, because I have been a poor man,beggar man rich man and now a retired man, I have worked for food, I have worked for pennies, I have worked for dollars, I have had nothing, I have been comfortable and I have had any thing I wanted, I have donated to the unfortunate and helped many along my travels and many have helped me, I did not do all by my self nor did I ever refuse a days work because I thought the wages were not enough, I have dug ditches to manage a business and it's always been my thoughts that one has to learn how to craw before they can walk!!!
And yet, not once, did you say you turned down hard work in favor of a handout. That is my point. In todays society it's perfectly acceptable to sit on your ass instead of working for "food" or "pennies". I dare say every regular poster here has been on the bottom of the food chain at some point. I don't get the impression any were born with the silver spoon.

I'm not bashing the poor, I'm bashing the lazy; and the society that accepts them.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,721 times
But really think about it? Are people really lazy? and does society really accept them? It's my belief that their priority's are to find a easy way to obtain their drugs to deaden their brain so they don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, And if a job don't pay enough to support their habits plus living then why work? My priority always was food and shelter for my body because thats what going to take care of me, and pleasure was a luxury not a necessity,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia