Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Technically (or legally) the realtor would require the home owner to complete a disclosure for certain items such as lead paint, flooding, obvious defects, things like that. That doesn't mean the info you're gonna get is correct.

When we sold our house in Inwood, we had a passive radon system that was installed when we built the house new, and honestly to our knowledge we disclosed no known radon issues (we never had it checked). The buyer had a radon check, and we were high according the charts. It was no biggie- we covered and sealed the french drain trap and installed a fan to make the passive emissions an active emissions, it retested normal and everyone was happy.

Sometimes disclosures are made without knowledge of a problem, sometimes they are omitted for other dubious reasons. Net/net- the buyer should take the precautions they feel necessary to protect themselves in the transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:14 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Radon exists almost anywhere dampness and water is present in WV clay soil. Was explained to me on a flight to Chicago by an MSHA rep several years ago. Has pretty well been ignored, but we take care of it in all new building work. Glad you mentioned it 3-Run...points to you.

and Citybilly: "YOU ARE CORRECT!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
When we bought our house, it wasn't until we were at closing that we discovered that we were in a different county than what had been advertised and we had been told (yes, we worked with an realty agent and the seller had an agent). Therefore was in a different school district than expected and even the address was different than listed.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 AM

63 posts, read 295,364 times
Wow! I would have been really upset had I not been in the school district that I had planned on. I have been looking for what is available in the area and there are only about 4-5 houses that are large enough and in our price range. Most of them are in the dovetail estate subdivision. I am not sure if I should be concerned with the fact that there are 3 houses in that subdivision for sale. Where I am from if there are several in one area for sale there is usually something wrong with the area or the houses. I would really like to find something that is new construction where I could pick what I want. The only thing I found in Bridgeport that is new construction would be the Dan Ryan homes and Charles Pointe. I would like to stay in the Bridgeport school district which is making this a little more difficult. I also know that most of what is available now will not be in November or December when we would be moving.

hatnic

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM

Honestly I wouldn't discount some of the older homes. A lot of them are solid brick and kept up very well. Some need a little updating but are generally well built.

But then again I can replace flooring and cabinets and trim myself so I'm not that concerned myself. Plus- I've got an established yard that has a nice view.. Makes living in Bridgeport at least bearable. Somewhat.

Who am I kidding. Wanna buy my house? New dual zone heat pumps with gas back-ups, lol.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
In some subdivisions in Florida, close to half the homes are for sale (or in foreclosure). So I wouldn't worry about 3 or 4 in the same neighborhood. Houses are taking, on average, about twice as long to sell as is normal, so if a couple of houses For Sale wouldn't bother you a few years ago, 3 or 4 For Sale today would be expected.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Plus in cerain areas in Bridgeport there is a lot of mobility due to gov't jobs. Transfers and things like that.

I check the papers quite frequently and I don't see any huge foreclosure issues going on. Not like the Eastern Panahandle at least. Wowzer.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM

VEV 101....What you experienced in post # 33 is called Misrepresentation...done at the very last minute at closing to create a gray area to cover their A**es.

hatnic: rent a while and get the feel of the area...might save thousands and a severe headache...

Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
DK,

I thought there was a rule that all the closing documents had to be given to the parties three (?) days in advance, just so there wouldn't be any surprises at closing.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Mere technicality...back in the old days...of the old 'Brokers..most everything was 'up to snuff...now, every Tom, Dick and Hairy Closes a real estate transaction...many Lawyers finish the closing statements just minutes before Closing or have that Realtor bring both sides of the statement...that's like 'our donation to 'Habitat to Humanity...everyone in Wv who sells a parcel gives the donation...most certainly unconstitutional but on the books and in reality...few people ever read the Statement...just trust those who do them...because 'They are in charge...

Mustard on the dog's?...Title insurance too...Title Insurance came about here about 15 years ago...can you believe it...now, Its really needed...as is the Liability Insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia