Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM

63 posts, read 295,404 times

Advertisements

Is there a major drug problem in the area of Bridgeport/ Clarksburg area? My husband and I are wanting to relocate to the Bridgeport area but have been told that there is a meth problem in the area. We have not found anything on this while researching the area. We have three small children and are wanting to move to a safe and pleasant area. We visited this past week and loved the area of Bridgeport. Also, if anyone can tell me about Simpson or Johnson Elementary, such as, if they are great schools and if they are safe schools that would be great.

Thanks,
hatnic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Help! Anyone.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Been here about a year and have seen no signs or reports of any meth in Bridgeport. Pretty clean, safe area. Uppity, but safe.

Worst danger in Bridgeport are mommy's in Audi's or SUVS charging down narrow side streets whilst talking on cell phones, lol. Makes riding a motorcycle a real TREAT around here.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Are the children friendly at the area schools? Saying uppity area makes me wonder about the schools and my children fitting in.

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
I'm a pharmacist that has practiced for a few weeks in the Clarksburg area and from what I saw, there were no more drug seekers than any other place I've practiced. The only places in WV with that problem seem to be in the SW part of the state. In Bridgeport, sure, there are meth users....there are meth users in all 50 states....but I wouldn't say there is a "problem" by any stretch of the imagination. I certainly hope you aren't picturing something as bad as West Baltimore ala HBO's The Wire. I can assure you that it's seriously just a small, suburbanish little town.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,592 times
Good parental supervision will more then likely curb drug use, although not a guarantee as we all know one will do as others do, if persuaded or confronted with peer pressure, as for getting along with others thats up to the individuals personality and likes I'm sure theres others that share their likes and dislikes!!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:33 PM

I've noticed a drastic change in my daughters attitude towards material things. At Johnson Elem. they allow kids to bring in their 'toys' to play at recess, and a lot of kids have like- 100 webkins or whatever... Video games, cell phones...

My kids never went to a school where they allowed you to bring toys in, and most of their friends growing up had no real interest in material things..

I'd say in general Bridgeport kids are a tad more spoiled than every other place I've lived. The kids are nice (they're still just kids), but it seems very, umm, cliquish and kids sorta have the best..

I know two families (both very wealthy) that gave their high school students brand new vehicles when they turned 16. Most kids drive pretty darned nice cars.. I'm not used to that AT ALL, lol.

Anyway- that's just an observation. Not all folks are like that obviously, but it certainly has made our jobs as parents a lot tougher as we try to instill values and morals over materialism. My son it's not a problem- he's content. My daughter is having a REAL tough time because other girls wonder why she doesn't have like ALL the webkins or Barbies, or whatever

Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Threerun how old are your children? My daughter will be in the third grade when we move and it will be in the middle of the year. I am now wondering if this would be a good area for her. She is very outgoing and does competetive cheerleading in our area. Where we live our schools require uniforms and I understand that they do not in West Virginia. Are kids there always wearing expensive labels to school? What do they generally where? She has never had trouble fitting in at school but has never been exposed to a click setting. Johnson was the school that I was particularly looking into. What do you know about Taylor county schools?

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Lot's of competitive sports, including cheerleading here.

Honestly I don't pay attention to labels the kids are wearing or competeitve cheerleading or all of that stuff. My kids are in Scouts, my son plays baseball and we camp, hike and like to be outdoors.

Bridgeport is more than likely as close as any 'middle-upper middle and upper' type of area. Personally? I like Taylor County, but that's just me. I'm a little biased about Bridgeport in that I'm really a country boy. Can't stand cheerleading, can't stand ultra-competitive sports at all costs (like it is around Bridgeport) and I can't stand people that put on airs (which quite a few around here do).

I'm not the best judge of Bridgeport because frankly I don't belong in Bridgeport.

Is there a meth problem? No. Hell no. Are the schools good? Everybody seems to think so. But my kids received a better education in Berkeley County which is rated lower by the numbers than Bridgeport schools. When they started last January they were way ahead of their classmates. No toys, lot's of homework, and lots of parent/teacher planning. It's not that way here. I think Bridgeport is far over rated and the kids may be 'given' more than they 'earn'. Just my .02 cents.

Given my druthers I would be back in the country where I belong. I'd rather have my daughter tend to goats than worry how many webkins her friends have, lol.

Bridgeport is not bad. It's just not 'us'.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM

O.k. Thanks. Does anyone else have any opinions on the schools in Bridgeport? Any information helps!

Thanks,
hatnic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia