Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,833 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are fed up with the high cost of living in Vermont. We love the mountains and hate the thought of leaving them, but we're tired of struggling just to make ends meet from paycheck to paycheck. We both were born and raised in the Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania panhandle area and would like to move closer to home once again. Now that we've made the decision to relocate to WV, we need help in finding jobs and housing. We currently own our own home in VT and would ultimately like to buy a place with some land for privacy (basically peace and quiet). I would ultimately like to work from home if I could, doing transcription for psychiatrist, psychologists and thearpists, which I have been doing for the past 2-1/2 years (just not out of my home). Basically my background is data-entry (Bennington College Admissions) and something like that would also be ok. My husband is a laborer, having done carpentry/construction for years, installing garage doors and for the past year worked in the plastic industry (which he finds enjoyable also). That's probably more than you needed to know ... but we'd just like some help in finding jobs so we can make the move to WV. We were thinking perhaps the Elkins, WV area, but are also considering the rural areas between Huntington and Charleston. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Default Relocating

Hello reecablue I'd suggest you look at the newspapers online for jobs. Pick out a city like Charleston. Write the name of the town and newspaper into a google search. Try a couple of different towns to see what you come up with in the classified section of a newspaper.

Since you will be selling your house that should give you some money to help you along for a while. After selling the house you should go on down and check out the areas you are interested.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
If its mountain views you want... your going to need to stay in the Elkins/Lewisburg areas.. Fairmont and Morgantown have some hills too though... Anything to do with medical is doing great in WV right now. So i'm sure there will be no problem finding work in medical careers

Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
There are plenty of good places to live and a lot of opportunity between Huntington and Charleston. If you are looking for a smaller city/rural area, consider Barboursville, Milton, Hurricane and some of the communities along State Routes 10 and 2. There are a lot of nice parks in this area and also a lot to do being close to the states 2 largest cities. In terms of jobs, the medical field is booming in Huntington with 2 large hospitals in the city with several smaller facilities and doctors offices also in the city. For some info on jobs and the area, check out http://www.hadco.org/ If you go to the top employers page, it lists the top employers with websites if available. For more city info, check out http://www.cityofhuntington.com/ and http://www.greaterhuntington.com/default.asp For some info on jobs, check out http://herald-dispatch.gannettonline...der/index.html and for real estate http://herald-dispatch.gon.gannetton...Category=HOMES Hope this helps.
Tim

Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 122,129 times
Strongly think about the eastern panhandle or fayetteville may be to your liking with rafting, rock climbing, hiking, and a very friendly vibe!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 PM

22 posts, read 115,748 times
Make sure to stick to the Charleston Hungtington area for jobs and ammenities of shopping and dinning. I personally like Charleston and for small town life go south of Charleston. Try Alum Creek, Hamlin, Madison, or Chapmanville.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,074 times
Hey, please tell me more about Milton. I am thinking of relocating to Charleston, but wondered how far Milton was to drive. What county is that in? Thanks for the info.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM

74 posts, read 369,847 times
Milton is in Cabell County and about a 30+/- minute drive to Charleston, depending on traffic on I-64. I live in Huntington (which is about 10 minutes from Milton), and have only been there a few times. I think most of the people that live in Milton shop and work in Huntington, but I'm sure that there are many that shop and work in Charleston as well.
Hope this helps!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,188,084 times
Everyone has an opinion abut where to live in WV, so here goes. I love Summersville, check out the hospital, just google it Summersville Memorial Hospital. We got a very nice 3 BR, 2 Bath house there for around 70k. Nice area.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:57 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,636 times
Check the Inter-Mountain online regularly for jobs. Also, you can register online with Workforce WV and they can help you with jobs. I live in Canaan Valley (Davis) and I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia