Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

standing on the edge of the nest now
this is exciting! flapping wings--- scary. Looked like he'd fall. He was so brave, and when mamma came back he starting crying again. I guess smaller lunches will make him braver.

Last edited by harborlady; 05-13-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
They have a night-light of sorts, so you can stay up all night watching them if you want to.

Although, mostly they sleep at night, so it's not terribly exciting.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM

mamma cutting his lunch in half seemed like a motive, but he's sleeping now

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM

It looks pretty windy in the nest this morning... I wonder how high up that is?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
One of the adults was in the nest, for well over an hour....

Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Those without the time to babysit all day and night....

Mom and Pop left him alone all night last I checked at 230 am. When he tries to sleep he seems to have growing pains. Needs to stretch his wings in his sleep about every five minutes. He's quiet and seems to get lonely, which is what happens just before he tries to learn something new.

Lunch came at about 1pm today. Both mom and pop came back within a minute of each other. I cant distinguish which is male/female but I noticed quite a difference in the way baby would posture with one vs the other. My guess is when mamma returns, it would explain why he makes himself into a big fluff ball and gets submissive, lowers his head waiting to be fed, makes his high pitched noises like a baby, whines when she leaves.

This afternoon when they both came back together, I think it was mamma who left first. Pappa around, this baby was posturing quite differently. A fish was brought back to the nest and Pop tore it open and stood over it. Baby smoothed his feathers down to make himself smaller, crouched down fearfully in a far corner of the nest for a good long while.

Pop stood tall in the wind, surveying his domain of unbroken horizon. Over time flyboy got a bit bolder and started mimicking Pop, standing tall, looking at what Pop was looking at. The wind kept blowing him over LOL. Then he went back to his corner crouching out of the wind but not so fearfully making himself small. Pop ate lunch in front of him and left some scraps behind. Yesterday he seemed to be learning how to make the pieces small enough so that he didn't choke on them. Kept having to regurgiate, mom came back and tore it up more. Showed him how to swallow a whole fish tail in one bite.

Sometimes he gets bold, stands on the edge of the nest perched, tries to flap a bit or holds his wings open like a sail but goes nowhere. Other times he seems to try to get some loft over the nest itself, just a few inches, a safe place to fall. Funny to watch him try to fly WHILE desperately clinging to the nest with his talons. Can't do both fella, gotta pick one!

I think I'm learning about people when I watch flyboy. How odd. Good training for folks with teenagers. hahahhaaaa

Old 05-14-2009, 02:18 PM

204 posts, read 418,266 times
thanks for that great report Harbor Lady,our flyboy certainly is well loved...by us all! Gonna go watch for a while now.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,188,084 times
I am so anxious to get home every day to see Flyboy. Thanks so much for the udate HL. Every time I see a new post during the work day, I get a feeling like, oh no he is flying and I missed it! Shepherdstown is not too far from where I live I would love to drive over there and see the parents flying in the sky. Can't do it this weekend going to visit the new puppy on Sunday and I have a Festival on Saturday, selling my jewelry.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 AM

BJ I was in the kitchen, heard flapping and i ran to check. Is it my imagination or does this thing feel like a baby monitor sometimes? He's quiet and mighty hungry tonight. Didn't get much more than scraps today. Between naps he's practiced his perching on the rim of the nest but didn't make too many attempts to fly. The wind might have been too much because the whole tree was shaking.

Over the course of the night a spider has created a web over the cam making night vision more difficult. I'm wondering if the nest will still be visible in daylight or if this spider's going to put in anymore overtime making a silk blouse up there.

Any volunteers to go climb that tree??? I nominate snorpus. heheheheee

Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 AM

No way am I gonna shinny up that pole (tree?) while the wind is blowing like that! And what if mama/papa eagle come back while I'm up there?

Let's wait till morning and see if the spidey-web is still a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia