Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 AM

413 posts, read 938,280 times

Advertisements

If you move enough, you learn to pare down to just the necessities. I travel with a hiking pack and a suitcase. It takes me wherever I need to go.

Then again, don't look at the giant pile of crap I have stored in my ma's barn. lol

If you guys do land in Elkins, drop a line! I can show you around, what little bit I know, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 AM

58 posts, read 136,031 times
I was born and raised in Monroe County WV. My graduating high school class had 54 people in it. I knew everyone that attended the school and my parents knew their parents as this small community was very tight knit. If my car broke down, I knew that help was never far from me. If someone in my family had an accident I knew that who ever saw them would help them. I lived in this place without fear. It was a fabulous life and I only wish that I could be as lucky as you and live there again. The people who make the ugly comments about this peaceful, beautiful place are usually people who have never been there and are trying to cover their ignorance of the place with ugly jokes and slurs. I am now and will always be PROUD of the state that I haved always loved. No matter how far I go West Virginia is my home. I believe that you will be presently suprised when you get there, and when you are, I hope that you share that with all the people who didnt support your move.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
I was watching some of the new FBI hires today...walking around in a group, name tags around their necks. The manager of the cell phone company pointed to them as we were talking.
I said to her.
"The FBI is having a hard time getting the right people, they have asked their present employees to ask family members to apply..trying to hire from with-in the system."
She said, "Is it tough getting on with them?"
I replied, "Need a good credit rating, be able to get a Security Clearance, pass the drug test...that disqualifies most of the people in Wv." Sad!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM

208 posts, read 651,080 times
I think you are lucky to be moving to WV and you need to ignore the comments. We were relocated to WV for my husband's job (yes, the eastern panhandle and NO we did not think we were a DC suburb!) and I was nervous, especially after hearing all of the same types of things you have been hearing. We lived there for 3 years and unfortunately were relocated again. We miss WV. Yes, there are some adjustments (like how to order certain foods, the DMV, being told "I" have an accent, lol) but I feel I am richer for the experience. Unfortunately, the news media always capitalizes on the negatives and people in other states tend to have negative opinions. However, each state has its good and bad areas. When my husband was traveling for business in Indiana, they asked him where he was from. When he replied "Pennsylvania", they said "Oh, you're from Pennsyltucky!" What? Apparently, people in Evansville, IN think PA is very backwards. Funny because PA people think the same about IN. I live in an area of PA that is about 1 hr 15 min from NYC and it is certainly not backwards, but whatever. What I miss most about WV is the somewhat slower, more relaxed pace.

The moderator is one of "those" WV residents who look down upon the EP as shown by his/her comment. When I moved to the EP, I was told that the EP was the stepchild of the state. How unfortunate that all of the state doesn't stick together and lumps people separately!

Best of luck with your move and keep the positive attitude. You will love it!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

275 posts, read 707,940 times
I'm from the eastern panhandle originally. Have been living in Huntington for about 6 years, and just recently I was up there in Mineral county to visit my family before my baby is born.

I seriously miss it every single day up there. Up there I lived in the country, near our family farm of over 300 acres, and it was a great place to raise kids. Not that I don't love Huntington, I'm just sad being so far from family. WV proud, all the way. I am actually looking into possibly relocating back up that way so my son can be closer to my family.

WV is beautiful, has great people and is a place I'm proud to call home. That's WHY WV for me.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 AM

33 posts, read 93,711 times
I've lived elsewhere, but WV is HOME. The "recession" hasn't hit us as hard as other states, if it has, we haven't noticed. We're used to that way of life, going without. When it gets down to it, wants and needs, it doesn't take much to make us happy. Family, community, roofs over our head, food on the table, clothes on our backs, and hell if we're lucky, even shoes on our feet! That's a joke, couldn't help but toss that one in. We take pride in our state. Why shouldn't we? It is too beautiful for words! Just cuz we live a simplier way of life, doesn't make us simple. Clean air has a way of clearing your mind. Try it!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 33,334 times
Not born in WV, but spent the majority of my life here, have lived in Florida, and Kentucky as an adult. When the time came to settle down and raise a family, I could think of no other place that I wanted to be. The "Mayberry" way of life is a blessing in this day and age. In the small town where I live (half way between Huntington and Charleston) it is a fairly peaceful existence. It affords my family a lifestyle that is not plagued with crime and violence.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM

374 posts, read 1,125,910 times
Well, we are almost there! We drove 3,000 miles so far and are in Minneapolis. We will be there soon!!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM

300 posts, read 819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Well, we are almost there! We drove 3,000 miles so far and are in Minneapolis. We will be there soon!!
Sorry, all borders have been closed, and entry arenas have armed militia with orders to prevent any breaches, as we've reached our annual limit for importing persons. The Sovereign State of West Virginia thanks you for your interest, and welcomes you to try again next year.

j/k

Have a safe trip. And welcome.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,662,018 times
Yeah, welcome MeganAK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia