Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times

Advertisements

I have been down with something since last Friday. Aches everywhere, joints particularly stiff and sore, sneezing, coughing, sore throat, nose clogged and then runny - then clogged again, chills alternating with feeling feverish and sensitivity of mouth and particularly my gums. Temperature ranging from normal to 100, back to sub normal and then hovering around 100 a day or two later. I am a high risk person with permanent respiratory issues. I called my doctor on Friday but they were already booked. I called on Monday and was told they were already swamped with two other swamped clinics referring people to them and that everyone should go to the hospital ER. I asked if most of them were the common cold and was told an immediate "no." I had the seasonal flu shot by a good two weeks prior to becoming ill, so this must be swine flu.

I was advised to stay warm, get more than my fair share of rest and keep drinking water to stay hydrated, especially with a fever.

I am not about to go to the ER and am glad they told me they were swamped. That means the last place I need to be is at a doctor's office and most certainly not at a hospital ER.

With the exception of letting my dog out and back in, I stay in bed most of the day with brief visits to C-D, getting something to eat, watching a little tv. I have found comfort in soups, particularly creamy soups such as cream of chicken, asparagus and clam chowder. A teaspoon of refrigerated honey is an excellent way to soothe the sore throat and there is no such thing as over dosing on it. At least, I don't think there is. I'll be sure and keep everyone advised if I live through it.

Last edited by AliceT; 10-21-2009 at 02:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Aside from the hype, I don't think this flu will be much...vaccine will be too late (February) to help...if it was effective.

Mercury as an ingredient? I'll pass..

Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
From what I've heard, there may be some county schools shutting down for a while. I guess absentee rates are climbing, so at some point it doesn't make sense to keep them open.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM

404 posts, read 1,188,252 times
Alice, I hope you get to feeling better soon! Keep up the fluids! Vitamin C, D, probiotics and plenty of rest. It's supposed to warm up today and tomorrow. A little time sitting out in the sun this afternoon may help.

I also called my kids' doctor right away. He said not to bring them in unless they show signs of it moving into their chests. So far, so good.

My kid's school is giving the nasal vaccine to the kids tomorrow. I know a lot of parents don't want their children getting the vaccine because they don't think it's safe. My kids won't be there because they are both still sick. Each of them have a classmate in the hospital with H1N1. I'll be glad when this flu season is over.

I'm passing on the flu shot. To many health care providers that I know are having bad reactions to it.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:02 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
More than 80% of the cases turn out not to be of the H1N1 strain

Swine Flu Cases Overestimated? - CBS News

Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,685 times
When my allergies attack, I have sneezing fits, and lately I get horrified looks from fellow shoppers. Not that I can blame them. I suspect a large portion of "flu" cases are really allergies and sinus infections.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
More than 80% of the cases turn out not to be of the H1N1 strain

Swine Flu Cases Overestimated? - CBS News
This was a good article. Why won't the CDC comply with the freedom of information act? That's what I want to know. I don't think it's H1N1 that my kids have. I think its just the regular seasonal flu.

Gilmer county closed their schools today because of the flu. The elementary schools in Ritchie County were giving the flumist to students today. Half of the children didn't go to school. They aren't sure if it's because they are sick, or if the parents didn't send them because they didn't want them exposed to the vaccine.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:33 PM

My wife picked up our daughter from school. 100deg fever just like that. She was in the office with a surgical mask on.

We'll see what it is. Hopefully a common cold.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife picked up our daughter from school. 100deg fever just like that. She was in the office with a surgical mask on.

We'll see what it is. Hopefully a common cold.
I hope she's feeling better soon. Today is day 5 for my 10 year old and her fever is finally staying around 100 - 101. That's much better than the 104 that we'd been fighting for days.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Jeez.. Man I hate to see kids sick with fever. Glad to hear your boy is a little better, and hope he get's all better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia