Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
No, they are facts.

I explained my argument in great detail and you repeatedly ignore it and argue something unrelated. Only one ranting is you and like I said you seem to be very upset about the actual population in morgantown. This is the chip on the shoulder I'm talking about. You can continue to ignore what is being said and argue something different but it won't change the number of people living in the morgantown area.

Charleston is not a bad place. It is not for me, but plenty of people like it for what it is. However, nobody goes to Charleston because they want a real city atmosphere. People go there to get away from a city atmosphere while still enjoying good amenities.

Morgantown is more wild and has a boom town and festive atmosphere and like Charleston offers many of the amenities of a bigger city with less problems, plus it is close to a big city. Depending on what you want both are great. I just wish people from Charleston did not dislike morgantown so much. We dislike the government and not your city.
You explained nothing. You ranted on and on about Charleston being dull, dead, boring, etc., but have absolutely nothing to back up what you say. Morgantown boom and festive you say, but that says nothing about Charleston. You evade the question yet again. My guess is you're a kid wanting to party in a college town, and can't imaging enjoying other amenities.

You misunderstand everything I say because you are obsessed with Morgantown being bigger than Charleston. I don't really care how many people live in Morgantown. I've never met anybody that ever mentioned the size of Morgantown. I've never heard anybody in Charleston indicate they dislike Morgantown, but you tried to imply that the people of Charleston dislike Morgantown. They don't! There is a very large base of WVU fans in the Charleston area that love to go up for a game and make a day of it with visits to restaurants, and some even stay the night, causing the motels and hotels to be completely full in game days. Those people did not come from Morgantown. (They didn't come from Huntington either.) Those people would not be visiting restaurants and motels and spending the day tailgating if the hated the city.

That pretty much explains why your posts are nothing but trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You explained nothing. You ranted on and on about Charleston being dull, dead, boring, etc., but have absolutely nothing to back up what you say. Morgantown boom and festive you say, but that says nothing about Charleston. You evade the question yet again. My guess is you're a kid wanting to party in a college town, and can't imaging enjoying other amenities.

You misunderstand everything I say because you are obsessed with Morgantown being bigger than Charleston. I don't really care how many people live in Morgantown. I've never met anybody that ever mentioned the size of Morgantown. I've never heard anybody in Charleston indicate they dislike Morgantown, but you tried to imply that the people of Charleston dislike Morgantown. They don't! There is a very large base of WVU fans in the Charleston area that love to go up for a game and make a day of it with visits to restaurants, and some even stay the night, causing the motels and hotels to be completely full in game days. Those people did not come from Morgantown. (They didn't come from Huntington either.) Those people would not be visiting restaurants and motels and spending the day tailgating if the hated the city.

That pretty much explains why your posts are nothing but trolling.
How can someone back up an opinion statement? I'm also not the only one who finds Charleston dull. Like i said chris made a thread about it, and other people shared my view. Chris should remember it and can send you a link. Wvu also has lots of students from Charleston and some of my best friends come from there or live there. Overwhelmingly they state Charleston is kinda dull, but they still love it and some prefer the dullness of Charleston to morgantown.

At this point you aren't even discussing things but ranting. It is not my intention to troll you but you are getting very upset about the reality of the situation. Calm down. This discussion is not a big deal.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
How can someone back up an opinion statement? I'm also not the only one who finds Charleston dull. Like i said chris made a thread about it, and other people shared my view. Chris should remember it and can send you a link. Wvu also has lots of students from Charleston and some of my best friends come from there or live there. Overwhelmingly they state Charleston is kinda dull, but they still love it and some prefer the dullness of Charleston to morgantown.

At this point you aren't even discussing things but ranting. It is not my intention to troll you but you are getting very upset about the reality of the situation. Calm down. This discussion is not a big deal.
I don't need to calm down. Trust me, nothing you can say is worth my getting upset. College kids think Charleston is dull. Understanding that, I have put your remarks in their proper perspective; worthless.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't need to calm down. Trust me, nothing you can say is worth my getting upset. College kids think Charleston is dull. Understanding that, I have put your remarks in their proper perspective; worthless.
Unfortunately, it is not just college aged adults who feel this way about Charleston, but people of all ages.

Your perspective only applies to you. If you feel differently about Charleston I suggest that you not care what other people think about it.

The most important thing is you like Charleston, and if you do than great.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Ok I would agree with part of this. Moragntown's city proper with the students would probably be just a little more than Charleston. But remembering that Charleston is a network of cities connected Charleston would still be bigger in terms of urban area. Morgantown would add a few thousand more with Star City and Westover, but it still wouldn't be enough to even compete with South Charleston (15,000).

Our entire region is a network of cities here, and people move freely and frequently among them to live and work. You are making an assumption that because there is no green space between the industrial slums of South Charleston and Charleston that is somehow a positive situation? What remains of the chemical industry basically makes the whole area stink there, and it would be better if it were seperated by the 13 miles that seperates south Morgantown from Prickett's Fort/Fairmont. Our situation gives us the advantage of having a concentration of people in conjunction with a major university (great athletics, arts offerings, educational opportunities) without the crap that happens when all that heavy industry and urban concentration with the accompanying inner city character is crammed together adjacent to everything else. You can see what happens when that takes place... people can't wait to get away from it. That's why Charleston was once 80,000 people and today is just over 50,000 population.

Fortunately for us, we do not have that problem.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Actually ask Chris for a link to his post about Charleston in the US general forum. Many posters felt Charleston was nice but dead and boring too. .
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...harleston.html

There were only 9 posts on here that were direct answers to the original question. Out of those, only one was a negative comment. This of course isn't counting yours or my posts. So in reality, no people don't find Charleston boring.

And back on city size. Charleston might have 33 square miles to Mtown's 10, but only 15-20 of Charleston's at best is developed. So the stats are skewed because there is 10 square miles of woods within the city limits, plus the state's largest airport! So the population density is actually between 2500-3400 sq mile.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Our entire region is a network of cities here, and people move freely and frequently among them to live and work. You are making an assumption that because there is no green space between the industrial slums of South Charleston and Charleston that is somehow a positive situation? What remains of the chemical industry basically makes the whole area stink there, and it would be better if it were seperated by the 13 miles that seperates south Morgantown from Prickett's Fort/Fairmont. Our situation gives us the advantage of having a concentration of people in conjunction with a major university (great athletics, arts offerings, educational opportunities) without the crap that happens when all that heavy industry and urban concentration with the accompanying inner city character is crammed together adjacent to everything else. You can see what happens when that takes place... people can't wait to get away from it. That's why Charleston was once 80,000 people and today is just over 50,000 population.

Fortunately for us, we do not have that problem.
Ok, but add in all of Fairmont and all of Clarksburg, and there still wouldn't be the same number in the same area of land that there is here in Charleston and the surrounding metro. Not to forget that Huntington is close by, and makes our metro even larger.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...harleston.html

There were only 9 posts on here that were direct answers to the original question. Out of those, only one was a negative comment. This of course isn't counting yours or my posts. So in reality, no people don't find Charleston boring.

And back on city size. Charleston might have 33 square miles to Mtown's 10, but only 15-20 of Charleston's at best is developed. So the stats are skewed because there is 10 square miles of woods within the city limits, plus the state's largest airport! So the population density is actually between 2500-3400 sq mile.
No, the population density is what it is. You cant uncount areas. Charleston is just not dense, not even downtown, which is mostly business.

So far, all outside opinions is Charleston is a ghost town. THe only people who find it happening are a handful of posters from this forum who are biased toward their hometown, or ignorant of a fun city.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 07-17-2012 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, but add in all of Fairmont and all of Clarksburg, and there still wouldn't be the same number in the same area of land that there is here in Charleston and the surrounding metro. Not to forget that Huntington is close by, and makes our metro even larger.
No, with Fairmont and Clarksburg Morgantown would be bigger.

You want to go all the way to Huntington? Fine, Morgantown would almost be to Pittsburgh and still be bigger.

You would have to go all the China for Charleston to have more people.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 07-17-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
No, with Fairmont and Clarksburg Morgantown would be bigger.

You want to go all the way to Huntington? Fine, Morgantown would almost be to Pittsburgh and still be bigger.

You would have to go all the China for Charleston to have more people.
your past the point of having a real conversation with, Good bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia