Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 PM

603 posts, read 2,094,765 times

Advertisements

I lived in Westchester for awhile, and was not my cup of tea. Lots of good, hard-working people but overall, too "bourgeois." There is my political correct statement, as well as any bias.

What I have to say though, is absolutely true. In general, young people in Westchester seem to be self-absorbed and cruel at a very young age.

The example I want to give is the following: I am a man in my 30s. The last 3 times I have taken an evening walk in downtown Scarsdale village (within the last 4 months) I have been mocked, cursed at, and had cruel things said to me by local no-good teenagers. I realize Scarsdale may be a special case, but can anyone relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,040,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I lived in Westchester for awhile, and was not my cup of tea. Lots of good, hard-working people but overall, too "bourgeois." There is my political correct statement, as well as any bias.

What I have to say though, is absolutely true. In general, young people in Westchester seem to be self-absorbed and cruel at a very young age.

The example I want to give is the following: I am a man in my 30s. The last 3 times I have taken an evening walk in downtown Scarsdale village (within the last 4 months) I have been mocked, cursed at, and had cruel things said to me by local no-good teenagers. I realize Scarsdale may be a special case, but can anyone relate?
You mean to say that you're walking down the street minding your own business and teenagers mocked and cursed at you for no reason at all, even if the reason isn't a good one? I assume you weren't wearing a clown suit or in drag. This seems very odd indeed. Is there something we're missing?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM

258 posts, read 908,692 times
I have never had an experience where teenagers cursed me on the street in Westchester. I live in the Bronx and work in Harlem and have never been cursed in the streets in those areas either. I am sorry you had such an awful experience but I don't think your experience is typical.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM

86 posts, read 277,577 times
It seems to me this isn't typical. If anything, since moving to Westchester I've noticed a lot of kids have even better manners than where I moved from in California. As a mom, I notice these things. For example, I've noticed many parents instruct their children to call me Mrs. xxx, unless I tell them they can use my first name. They say please, thank you, etc. I had a teen boy hold the door open for me at the bagel shop last week. The teenagers in my neighborhood are also well mannered as a whole.

That being said, there are rude people (not just teens) everywhere, sadly. My mom has a saying: Children don't civilize themselves. And it would seem that some parents indeed forget that, and some kids don't have the benefit of learning how to behave. It is a shame you had the misfortune of coming in direct contact with them.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 42,199 times
I have lived in Westchester for 50+ years and this has not been my experience.
I would not even say that the well to do children feel more entitled than kids from Ct, parts of NJ, MA and CA.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 AM

866 posts, read 2,487,752 times
Quote:

I find this perplexing. Why would people mock and curse at you for no reason? And you say this has happened the last 3 times you walked in the village? How do you know these were local kids? Yes, there are rude people everywhere, but it seems to me either you aren't sharing something, or you are just trying to stir up some Scarsdale hatred.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM

114 posts, read 572,192 times
I lived on Garth Road in Scarsdale for about three years, and as a man in his 30's, I often would walk around by myself. Either to catch a train, walk to the bagel shop, walk over to the Shell station to pick up my car from being worked on, etc, etc. Never had any confrontation with anyone. If anything, it's usually middle-aged people who are with their children and I've said hi to them, and they often say hello in return. Yeah, there are teenage kids hanging around, often around the 7-11 or the train station, but they've always kept to themselves.

I had a pair of kids ask for a couple of bucks because they were trying to get a train ride back home, when I walked out of the CVS by the train station, but that's about it. And they were very polite and non-confrontational. If they were rude, I would make up an excuse, say no and walk away. But since they were apologetic, and sincere, sure I gave them a couple of bucks.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM

506 posts, read 1,314,136 times
I think the OP is trolling.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
been reading the posts, i think there is a part of the story missing. perhaps the OP can help us better understand what has happened.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM

56 posts, read 335,377 times
Quote:
The example I want to give is the following: I am a man in my 30s. The last 3 times I have taken an evening walk in downtown Scarsdale village (within the last 4 months) I have been mocked, cursed at, and had cruel things said to me by local no-good teenagers.
I don't believe that's true at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County