Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,552 times

Advertisements

I am new to this site and it's absolutely a great place with the best info around.

We are a gay couple thinking about moving to Westchester from a big city. We have 3 kids with one in elementary school.

We want to move to a place with an easy commute to NYC.

We are looking for a place that will be gay friendly for the kids with a good school system. Money is not really a problem. We're not super rich, but we can manage and are pretty immune to all the big money around us.

We are looking to Larchmont, Bronxville and Hastings. Any other places that we missed? Anyone knows the gay friendliness of these places?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about White Plains or nicer parts of New Rochelle? Maybe Dobbs Ferry, Irvington or Tarrytown too.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Generally speaking, Westchester has a good number of sophisticated people, such that your family's make-up should not be too much of an issue for the majority of people you meet. The fact that you have children and keep your property in good condition are really the factors that will garner attention in the school or village communities that you will come into contact with in Westchester. That said, areas to the west, along the Hudson River, are generally more liberal and open, though Irvington tends to have a little stodginess in places, i.e., does not have a hip artsy vibe.

Bronxville, while an excellent school district, and having a nice village center might be a little more of a challenge in comparison to a Hastings or Ardsley in terms of making friends in the community. Larchmont is less artsy/free-spirited than the Hudson towns, but has a very nice downtown, and good schools. From your screen name, I'm guessing you're relocating from the UWS, in which case, I would definitely put the river towns higher on the list because the same spirit pervades communities along the river.

In White Plains, you want to look at places in North White Plains that have Valhalla schools for a better school district, because the city's school district does not compare to those in surrounding communities. The taxes are lower in White Plains, however, because of the large commercial sector.

Ardsley has good schools, but you'd need to take the train to Manhattan from Dobbs Ferry, and there's no real downtown. Dobbs Ferry would be a good bet, as would Hastings, and parts of Irvington are nice, with either Irvington schools or Pocantico Hills schools toward the east.

There are some nice houses in Sleepy Hollow, too, off Broadway toward the river by Phelps Memorial and in Philipse Manor. The schools tend to be more average performers as opposed to the top-notch Westchester districts, but if you have a motivated student, or provide outside tutoring, etc., you can get a very nice house at a more attractive price point. For example, around $1.2-$1.5, you would be able to find an older colonial with a nice lot, 4000+ square feet, which would be in the mid-$2s in Bronxville.

I would also consider Harrison, especially if you want a bit more land with the house, since the commute is only a few minutes longer than Larchmont. However, in Harrison, you're less likely to find a property that's walking distance to the downtown and trian.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Generally speaking, Westchester has a good number of sophisticated people, such that your family's make-up should not be too much of an issue for the majority of people you meet. The fact that you have children and keep your property in good condition are really the factors that will garner attention in the school or village communities that you will come into contact with in Westchester. That said, areas to the west, along the Hudson River, are generally more liberal and open, though Irvington tends to have a little stodginess in places, i.e., does not have a hip artsy vibe.

Bronxville, while an excellent school district, and having a nice village center might be a little more of a challenge in comparison to a Hastings or Ardsley in terms of making friends in the community. Larchmont is less artsy/free-spirited than the Hudson towns, but has a very nice downtown, and good schools. From your screen name, I'm guessing you're relocating from the UWS, in which case, I would definitely put the river towns higher on the list because the same spirit pervades communities along the river.

In White Plains, you want to look at places in North White Plains that have Valhalla schools for a better school district, because the city's school district does not compare to those in surrounding communities. The taxes are lower in White Plains, however, because of the large commercial sector.

Ardsley has good schools, but you'd need to take the train to Manhattan from Dobbs Ferry, and there's no real downtown. Dobbs Ferry would be a good bet, as would Hastings, and parts of Irvington are nice, with either Irvington schools or Pocantico Hills schools toward the east.

There are some nice houses in Sleepy Hollow, too, off Broadway toward the river by Phelps Memorial and in Philipse Manor. The schools tend to be more average performers as opposed to the top-notch Westchester districts, but if you have a motivated student, or provide outside tutoring, etc., you can get a very nice house at a more attractive price point. For example, around $1.2-$1.5, you would be able to find an older colonial with a nice lot, 4000+ square feet, which would be in the mid-$2s in Bronxville.

I would also consider Harrison, especially if you want a bit more land with the house, since the commute is only a few minutes longer than Larchmont. However, in Harrison, you're less likely to find a property that's walking distance to the downtown and trian.
What about communities like Tuckahoe, Pelham and Peekskill? While not in Westchester, Nyack would work, if they can find a way to get into NYC in a reasonable manner.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 11,552 times
Thanks to everyone for the information.

I was wondering if anyone actually lives in Larchmont or Bronxville and has first hand knowledge of gay families there?

I was reading the citi-data pages for all the different places, and it shows that there is as many "possible gay households" in Larchmont and Bronxville as there is in Hastings.

Any info would be useful.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Bronxville wouldn't be my first choice...very conservative. Not particularly welcoming to ethnic groups (Italian, Jewish, non-whites).

Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Even though it is based out of Rockland County, here's a site that might give you an ideas of things going on with the LGBT community in Rockland and some of Westchester County: Gay Pride Rockland According to this site, it says that Nyack has an openly gay mayor and the Nyacks has been an area of suggestion on that site as well. Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow are across the river from Nyack and could be a very good area to really consider.

Here's another website I found: http://www.loftgaycenter.org/mission.html

Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Part of the issue with Bronxville is that the P.O. spans other areas, but you need to be in the Village of Bronxville for the schools. In the P.O, which spans Yonkers and Eastchester, I would expect to find more diverse households, rather than the village, which tends to be quite conservative. That may account for the disparity you're seeing in your research, since Larchmont and Hastings do not have the same zip code overlay issues, and are reflective of the make-up of the villages.

Socially, it may not be as big an issue, since the downtown area of Bronxville is used by many from surrounding areas, but for the children, it might make a difference in the school system because their family might be one of a very few non-traditional families.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 AM

86 posts, read 277,331 times
My family recently moved to Bronxville and we are loving it. We are Bronxville PO, our oldest goes to the Tuckahoe school (Cottle). Our family is 1/2 jewish. I've seen a lot of anti-bronxville sentiments on here, and honestly, I don't agree. It's just lovely. Mod cut The people have all been lovely.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-18-2009 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Not a social networking site.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Bronxville wouldn't be my first choice...very conservative. Not particularly welcoming to ethnic groups (Italian, Jewish, non-whites).
Tough call, gay isn't ethnic. This story is for real... Back in the '70's in Pelham there was a flaming, FLAMING gay guy that worked as a "houseboy" for affluent women in Pelham Manor. They LOVED him. He was a well educated, socially adept fellow that brought a bit of spice to an otherwise staid community. There was no homophobia going on at all, that would have been regarded as unsophisticated. Everybody loved him.

Fast forward to the present - For everything everybody says about Bronxville, it's a well educated and socially liberal place. Mod cut: not necessary If you're well educated, WASPy types you'll likely be fine. Perhaps even a novelty!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-19-2009 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County