Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,058,341 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts about people moving to Westchester. I'm curious as to where people move to when leaving Westchester? Please explain why you are moving to the next place, for instance if it's because your kids are grown up and you are going to live closer to some other family. Or maybe you are retiring to sunny Florida? Escaping the crazy taxes? Found a better job elsewhere?

I think I am probably a lifer, or at least 18+ more years! But it does sound intriguing to move somewhere like North Carolina with the low taxes and overall low cost of living. Big house and no snow or close to it. Sounds like a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Well I don't have kids, and i'm too young to retire (late 20's)

I had moved away to Europe for a school a few years ago but I had also lived a few places in the area before I left as well. My siblings have all pretty much moved to different parts of the country (the midwest, and west coast), they had left to start their careers in cities out that way. I'm on my way out again as well, I spent a good deal of this summer in different cities throughout the midwest/northeast and its time for another change for a few years :-) I have one parent who left for warmer weather, while the other refuses to live anywhere without public transportation!

I like the south but I don't see myself living down there, I would spend summers throughout different parts of the south with family when I was a kid. North/South Carolina are great but you still meet way too many people from this area down there, and Atlanta..its like every other person is from New York.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
Most people leave to escape the exorbitant taxes after their kids are out of the school system, and they leave, also, to escape the cold weather. Some move back to NYC for the conveniences. Many older ones move to Florida, Arizona, and other warm, low-tax areas. It depends.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:19 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
I moved from Westchester and the "city" area 16 years ago to get out of what felt like too many rats in a cage. I moved to the Poconos....Bartonsville, just outside of Stroudsburg. Loved it in the beginning. Sixteen years later, I am looking to move again. The "city element" has moved up here. Rude people, garbage on the streets, drugs, guns, crime, etc. This area is beginning to resemble Central Ave or Rt 59 in Nyack...nothing but strip malls, fast driving, and uncivilized people. This is no longer the country. It has become the suburbs without sidewalks. I won't be here much longer. Next move is either to New England where they have colder weather and longer winters. This will basically eliminate the "city element" (if you understand my basic gist). Or, I may move to a more rural area of Virginia.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
JamMan - To each his own. I would sooner deal with city folk ANY day rather than people from the back woods. Ever been to a Wal Mart in a rural town? <shudders....>

To the OP, I've only been here a short time but I would imagine the pattern here to be much like in SoCal...once people retire, they want to be near their family and grandkids. Since it's too expensive for most young people to live here, they leave...leaving mom and dad with a severely empty nest that costs 5x what it would anywhere else. There just isn't any reason to stay here after that for most folks, unless they are wealthier than average (even by Westchester standards).

Plus, Westchester is a strange mix...either you are very close to the city, which is pointless if you are retired (you pay for an amenity you don't need on a regular basis) or you have to move to the country. Not a ton of suburban areas away from the city, per se.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:28 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
I moved from Westchester and the "city" area 16 years ago to get out of what felt like too many rats in a cage. I moved to the Poconos....Bartonsville, just outside of Stroudsburg. Loved it in the beginning. Sixteen years later, I am looking to move again. The "city element" has moved up here. Rude people, garbage on the streets, drugs, guns, crime, etc. This area is beginning to resemble Central Ave or Rt 59 in Nyack...nothing but strip malls, fast driving, and uncivilized people. This is no longer the country. It has become the suburbs without sidewalks. I won't be here much longer. Next move is either to New England where they have colder weather and longer winters. This will basically eliminate the "city element" (if you understand my basic gist). Or, I may move to a more rural area of Virginia.
While I hear you on what was once "country" being overdeveloped, I imagine the "natives" though you were "city element" when you first moved there 16 years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if they blame someone like you for "starting" it. Just my 2 cents.

Cold weather and winter doesn't eliminate the "city element" either, Chicago and Detroit make NYC look tropical by comparison and I'd hardly not call it "city".

Old 09-12-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
While I hear you on what was once "country" being overdeveloped, I imagine the "natives" though you were "city element" when you first moved there 16 years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if they blame someone like you for "starting" it. Just my 2 cents.

Cold weather and winter doesn't eliminate the "city element" either, Chicago and Detroit make NYC look tropical by comparison and I'd hardly not call it "city".
You are certainly right. The natives up here seem to blame just about all their problems on the outsiders, even before I arrived, but I always ask the natives why then did they sell their land to the outsiders if they disliked them so much from the get go? You see, they wanted to make money. They sold their land to city people and now complain about them.

The difference between people like me and many that are moving here from the city now is I worked a job, kept my property up and kept the laws. Now, there is an "element" that feels they can do whatever they want....greatly increased welfare roles, rude people, garbage on the streets, drugs, guns, crime, etc. When I moved here, even 16 short years ago, this was the exception, now it's an everyday occurence.

BTW...I am not talking about Chicago or Detroit. I specifically mentioned New England. The "element" does not move en masse to little towns that don't have a Mickey D's, KFC or Best Buy on every other corner. I'm sick of people who think they are "owed" something from the rest of us who do our part.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
I get a good amount of people from Westchester moving up to the Danbury area to save money on housing costs & property taxes while still being about to commute to their jobs in lower Westchester County or New York City.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 AM

69 posts, read 254,819 times
People seem to either move south (Florida, North Carolina) or a bit north to Putnam County or adjoining parts of CT.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenityseeker2011 View Post
Wow.....we all know what you mean when you say "city element" and "element"
you are "sick of ppl who think they are owed something from the rest of us who do our part"

and what part might that be....spreading racism and hate? If you're unhappy about your neighbor hood changes than move, however you can't get mad at folks for wanting the same peace and quiet that you seek or sought 16 years ago. and 7 wishes is right...cold weather and long winters do not eliminate the "city element"....you need to move to a quite lonely cabin miles from anyone and anything and be miserable there alone with no "city element", "country element" or any element! There you can get what you deserve your peace and quiet and no one to buy into your nonsense and listen to you spread your filth and hate.
SerenitySeeker,

Unfortunately, you don't know what I mean when I use those terms. And, how dare you say I am spreading racism and hate. You are speaking to a person who taught and lived in East Harlem for a number of years and then taught and lived for many, many years in the South Bronx. I also lived and worked in Manhattan and Queens, not too mention the inner city area of Paterson, NJ. Ethnicity and race are the furthest from my mind when I mention the "element" or "city element". Both these terms are used to refer to anyone from large subarban areas that resemble....well, just go back and read my two posts; I stated everything there. I never even alluded to race or ethnicity. I spoke very generally about the type of people I meant. These people are not seeking peace and quiet as you say. They are rude, selfish, destructive and bring little in the way of a positive contribution to the local society. I don't care what their color or place of origin is. It is you who are speaking filth and hate...towards me, and have attacked me, and I resent it! You just joined this forum yesterday; nice start!

Last edited by JamMan; 09-14-2010 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County