Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 AM

36 posts, read 252,548 times

Advertisements

Is this possible? I see from their website that the MTA railway begins in Poughkeepsie. I heard that I can get from Albany to White Plains in 45 min by train. Is this true? I really cannot afford to live in White Plains or Poughkeepsie. It seems like a small apartment in both areas is over 1200/ month.

Thanks for your advice guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
You can find apartments for around $1,100 in Eastern Yonkers.

Most of the apartments in Westchester are absurdly expensive. I think the going rate in White Plains at the moment is around $1,500 a month. Lots of companies have their offices in and around White Plains though so that drives up the prices.

Have you looked into Rockland county at all? I believe it is also cheaper over there, but the commute across the Tappan Zee is pretty bad during rush hour.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Thank you

I have decided that I will probably live in Poughkeepsie and commute to White Plains by MTA railway.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
The train doesn't go from Albany to White Plains, it goes from Albany to Croton Falls, and it takes 2 hours, not 45 minutes.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 44,960 times
How small is too small for you? I'm paying $900/mo for my 600 sq ft 1BR apartment in Poughkeepsie. I've seen others go as low as $750/mo. All of these are in relatively good areas, since I never bothered to look in the bad ones.

As for the Metro North... take note that Poughkeepsie and White Plains ARE NOT on the same Metro North line. Poughkeepsie is along the Harlem Line. White Plains is along the Hudson line. The first place where both lines intersect is 125th st in Manhattan.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Lot of incorrect information here.

You cannot take the train from Poughkeepsie to White Plains. Poughkeepsie is on the Hudson line and White Plains is on the Harlem line.

There is a comfortable express bus from Poughkeepsie to downtown White Plains, but I believe it takes around 90 minutes.

If you want to take the train and are looking for rents that are lower than Westchester rents, you are better off looking at some type of condo or 2-family house in Putnam County. There are trains stations in Brewster and Southeast that will get you to downtown White Plains in 35 to 45 minutes, depending on what train you take.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Lot of incorrect information here.

You cannot take the train from Poughkeepsie to White Plains. Poughkeepsie is on the Hudson line and White Plains is on the Harlem line.

There is a comfortable express bus from Poughkeepsie to downtown White Plains, but I believe it takes around 90 minutes.

If you want to take the train and are looking for rents that are lower than Westchester rents, you are better off looking at some type of condo or 2-family house in Putnam County. There are trains stations in Brewster and Southeast that will get you to downtown White Plains in 35 to 45 minutes, depending on what train you take.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. I will look into Putnam since i only have to use one train. I just check the MTA website and you are correct indeed. Are there any towns you can suggest for a single person in Putnam? Places that are close to grocery stores, post office, etc?

Last edited by kaymcl; 10-09-2007 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeAt-127.0.0.1 View Post
How small is too small for you? I'm paying $900/mo for my 600 sq ft 1BR apartment in Poughkeepsie. I've seen others go as low as $750/mo. All of these are in relatively good areas, since I never bothered to look in the bad ones.

As for the Metro North... take note that Poughkeepsie and White Plains ARE NOT on the same Metro North line. Poughkeepsie is along the Harlem Line. White Plains is along the Hudson line. The first place where both lines intersect is 125th st in Manhattan.
_________________________Thank you

Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
There might be a way to take the Hudson line from Poughkeepsie down to Tarrytown, then switch to a Beeline bus that will take you into White Plains. Consult the MTA & Beeline websites for more information:

MTA (including Metro-North trains): MTA Home Page

Beeline Bus service (serving Westchester Co.):

Bee Line Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymcl View Post
I have decided that I will probably live in Poughkeepsie and commute to White Plains by MTA railway.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
You do not want to take Metro North from Poughkeepsie to Tarrytown and then take the Bee-line bus to White Plains. The traffic along I-287 from Tarrytown to White Plains is atrocious.

I cannot think of a place in Putnam County near the railroad that is good for singles. But that should not dissuade you. If you are working in White Plains there is an excellent single scene on Thursday and Friday nights after work.

You could also try Mount Kisco in northern Westchester County, which is also on the Harlem line. Mount Kisco is a small city with more going on than Putnam County. But the rents may be beyond your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County